Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #1,981 of 6,418
Well if the issues are confined to the non-black units then I can certainly live with black. I also wonder if your replacement might have come from a later batch. Do the units have the serial number on the back of the unit and did the replacement come with more current firmware? It could give clues as to when the unit was produced. I had battery issues with my Sony A17 and Sony shipped me a newer unit rather than try to fix my old one. The newer unit had a noticeably better build quality and sound quality was better as well and has worked perfectly for 3 years now. The old one was produced in July 2014 but the replacement was produced April 2015.
I'm not sure there is any data (other than anecdotes) to say RE: Shanling M0:
- black units - with out issues
- non-black units - with issues

To really know you would need the numerator and denominator for sales and returns to understand the percentage of defects.
Only the company knows that.
Posts on audio forums may be hypothesis generating, but aren't capable of generating definitive statements.

Mike

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,982 of 6,418
I think Joybuy

Hey thanks, I thought it was JD.com and this was only in Chinese and more expensive. The M0 is only £ 41.83 on Joybuy, about half the aliexpress sellers price. I think I am going to buy one.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,983 of 6,418
I'm not sure there is any data (other than anecdotes) to say RE: Shanling M0:
- black units - with out issues
- non-black units - with issues

To really know you would need the numerator and denominator for sales and returns to understand the percentage of defects.
Only the company knows that.
Posts on audio forums may be hypothesis generating, but aren't capable of generating definitive statements.

Mike

I was actually trying to be ironic, guess I should have included emoji's. :ksc75smile: Yeah I realize that it would be very difficult even for Shanling to put those figures together. But I could see Shanling getting the serial numbers for the returned units from the dealers and distributors to help determine if the units with these issues came for a single batch or if the problem is more wide spread. Back in my audio sales days we would often get requests from manufactures for the serial numbers for returned units to try and track down production issues to a single bad production run.

We had a running joke whenever a unit was returned that it must have come off the assembly line on a Friday.:zzz:

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,984 of 6,418
I was actually trying to be ironic, guess I should have included emoji's. :ksc75smile: Yeah I realize that it would be very difficult even for Shanling to put those figures together. But I could see Shanling getting the serial numbers for the returned units from the dealers and distributors to help determine if the units with these issues came for a single batch or if the problem is more wide spread. Back in my audio sales days we would often get requests from manufactures for the serial numbers for returned units to try and track down production issues to a single bad production run.

We had a running joke whenever a unit was returned that it must have come off the assembly line on a Friday.:zzz:
Got it. Sorry I missed that.
I do see people jumping to conclusions all the time.
:)

Mike

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,985 of 6,418
Hey thanks, I thought it was JD.com and this was only in Chinese and more expensive. The M0 is only £ 41.83 on Joybuy, about half the aliexpress sellers price. I think I am going to buy one.
Yes, that's it.
Suspiciously low price, but chinese shops sometimes offer very good deals. In last year I bought 1more triple for $43 (joybuy) and xduoo x3 for $47 (!) (tomtop). Both work fine.

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,987 of 6,418
Well if the issues are confined to the non-black units then I can certainly live with black. I also wonder if your replacement might have come from a later batch. Do the units have the serial number on the back of the unit and did the replacement come with more current firmware? It could give clues as to when the unit was produced. I had battery issues with my Sony A17 and Sony shipped me a newer unit rather than try to fix my old one. The newer unit had a noticeably better build quality and sound quality was better as well and has worked perfectly for 3 years now. The old one was produced in July 2014 but the replacement was produced April 2015.

I think there is a serial number on the box? (Not home atm) but I don’t think the problem has anything to do with a certain colour or production time. Probably a software issue, but would need to be boot loaded (no access to that software) to fix. Of course I sent the defective one back to Amazon and have no idea what the serial number was.

Just my guess of course, doesn’t seem to be a widespread problem with faulty screens.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,989 of 6,418
Do the units have the serial number on the back of the unit and did the replacement come with more current firmware?

No sign of a serial number or revision on mine. But perhaps that is because it is from the first batch. Mine came from China with firmware 1.5.

@Shanling mentioned a recovery/reset method but it was not for end-users and required the device to be sent back to the factory.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,995 of 6,418
Yes, that's it.
Suspiciously low price, but chinese shops sometimes offer very good deals. In last year I bought 1more triple for $43 (joybuy) and xduoo x3 for $47 (!) (tomtop). Both work fine.
I got an X3 for dirt cheap from Tomtop too a while back. We'll see about that one as I've ordered it, should be alright, JD's quoted on NASDAQ and I think is bigger than Alibaba.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back