New setup, amp and headphones
Mar 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mikkelmmk93

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there.
I am about to buy my first setup and my budget is:
600 usd, 300 gbp, 400eur or 3000dkk.

I want full sized headphones, I am thinking about getting the Denon AH-D2000. I have listened to these and like them, they seemed to suffer from a bit of sibilance, but hey, I was using an ipod touch 2nd gen so might have been the cause.

I want an amp with dac, or both dac and amp since I dont think my build in dac is good enough.
It would be preferred if it was portable but could live without it.
I am thinking about the e7 or e17 here.

So what are youre thoughts here?

I've heard the Beyer DT770 80ohm Pro, like these, though I think they lack some mids.
I've got the Phonak Audeo PFE 122, which it would be nice if the amp could be used with these too.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 8
You said you heard the D2k's and you liked them.  You said you want a portable Amp/DAC and you've already picked out the e17's.  Both of these will keep you well under $600 and should be great together.  Not sure what else you're looking for. :wink:

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Well, you really don't need much amp for the d2000's, if any tbh. How about moving up the dxxxx line since you have that much money to spend? Or you might think about dt990 600ohm with a decent amp/dac. If you like the d2000 you will want to find something with plenty of sub bass.

BTW...I have the d2000's and love them!! I listen with a fiio e10 and they sound great.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Hi there.
I am about to buy my first setup and my budget is:
600 usd, 300 gbp, 400eur or 3000dkk.
I want full sized headphones, I am thinking about getting the Denon AH-D2000. I have listened to these and like them, they seemed to suffer from a bit of sibilance, but hey, I was using an ipod touch 2nd gen so might have been the cause.
I want an amp with dac, or both dac and amp since I dont think my build in dac is good enough.
It would be preferred if it was portable but could live without it.
I am thinking about the e7 or e17 here.
So what are youre thoughts here?
I've heard the Beyer DT770 80ohm Pro, like these, though I think they lack some mids.
I've got the Phonak Audeo PFE 122, which it would be nice if the amp could be used with these too.

I believe the cheapest external DAC that will work with the ipod is around $500.
So you can not use the DAC that comes with E7 or E17 on your iPod.
Fiio E11 with a Fiio L cable should work fine with the Denon AH-D2000 or DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 8

Nuforce iDO - works with all i-devices including iPod, iPhone and iPad range (yet to be tested with iPad 3)

Under $250USD for an Apple version of the Icon-2 Dac/Amp - nice. It's not portable though.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 8
I found out today that the price of the D2000 in Denmark is 480usd - What a rip off!!!
Guess I will have to find some friends going to the US to buy me a pair of D5000 instead, that would be the same price:D
I knew about the iPhone not dac thing there, and to be honest, when I am using a stationary dac/amp then I will most certainly have my pc there. But still, thanks for the heads up!!

Well, lets say that I now have about 100 usd to use on an amp. Would it be better for me to wait with the amp/dac till I have saved up some more money or should I get a cheaper one.
These amp/dac does not have to be one unit, does not have to be transportable - but that would still be awesome! well, not that it have to be one unit, because I wont get and amp/dac for my iPhone that is transportable, way too expensive.

So wait or now, budget for amp around 100 usd as I can see my budget.
 -Nice to have a portable one
 -Doesnt matter if the amp and dac is one unit
 -Could be nice if it has the possibility for me to adjust the volume on left/right, because of my hearing impairment.
 -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back