New set of headphones for home.
Dec 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Justlog

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody, I've been using the AKG K450 as my home headphones as my portable headphones, But now I want to buy a pair of headphones just for home(Over-ear)
I've been thinking about spending 150$ for a pair and I wanted your opinons.
As far as music go, I listen to rock(Linkin park, Poets of the Fall etc.) some classic(not really classic but Audiophil CD's) and some rap and electronic(Eminem, Skrillex, Busta Rhymes etc.)
And final notice, I'm going to use these for gaming as well. Some comptetive but not tourmenet level.
Thanks in advance!
wink_face.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 8
For $160, Sennheiser HD598, it sounds best with an amp, but can be driven by most portable devices - PC soundcard should be more than strong enough. Also as a competitive gamer your sound card should have some software EQ ability, so you can turn up the bass if you find them a little 'polite' sounding. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Another option to consider is the grado SR125i. New for $150 and require very little power to drive. Most portable sources will be plenty, let alone a PC. However they might not be the best for gaming, but music wise they're pretty nice. the grados mix well with music that has a guitar involved, but for rap and electro they arent as good as others in this price range. 

Edit: GREQ, that picture is hilarious

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
For $160, Sennheiser HD598, it sounds best with an amp, but can be driven by most portable devices - PC soundcard should be more than strong enough. Also as a competitive gamer your sound card should have some software EQ ability, so you can turn up the bass if you find them a little 'polite' sounding. 

Well, Right now my computer sound is driven by a lousey built-in 50$ duo core motherboard so not alot to go on to.
So an amp might by a better slution but I guess the HD598 itself costs about 150$ which make the overall price with an amp higher.

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 8
You could consider the Goldring DR100 or DR150 (poor mans HD600/650, review: http://www.headfonia.com/goldring-headphones-dr50-dr100-dr150) which would leave money for an low end amp(FiiO E17, for instance).

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
what do you mean by Poor mans?
and thanks for the advice.

Cheaper. Much, much cheaper, not quite as good in some areas, but more friendly in others. Best to read the full review for the differences. Easier to drive as well. The HD600/650 do like a bit of juice. The Goldrings, not so much.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I'll check them out.
Quote:
Another option to consider is the grado SR125i. New for $150 and require very little power to drive. Most portable sources will be plenty, let alone a PC. However they might not be the best for gaming, but music wise they're pretty nice. the grados mix well with music that has a guitar involved, but for rap and electro they arent as good as others in this price range. 

Edit: GREQ, that picture is hilarious

Alot of people complain that these cans aren't very comfy, As a person who wear glasses, that kind of a factor for me.
Quote:
Cheaper. Much, much cheaper, not quite as good in some areas, but more friendly in others. Best to read the full review for the differences. Easier to drive as well. The HD600/650 do like a bit of juice. The Goldrings, not so much.

Thanks. I'll try to search those in my country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back