New Sennheiser Momentum In ear
Nov 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #271 of 527
Received mine yesterday from amazon (ty prime!) for apple use.

Initial thoughts are pretty in alignment with what others have said.  There is something to be said for how lightweight these are.  I know that sounds wierd on an IEM but due to their fit and comfort its like they're not even there (compared to the GR07's I've been using where I have to use the ear guides).

Definitely in alignment with the bass - more punchy here than what I'm used to in a good way.  Quality is solid - been listening to rock (AC/DC), rap/hip-hop (eminem), and some strong vocals (Adelle) and its handled each well though I will say the best so far has been rock or rap - bass guitar and drums come through very clear, vocals are solid as well.  Eminem's Legacy (a track I know extremely well on multiple sources and outputs) sounds incredible in particular - the rain sounds clear as a bell, the piano notes and that beat in the background.

ezpz to drive from the phones which is kind of a must given the whole inline mic part but thought I'd say it anyway.

Need more time with them of course but those are initial thoughts.  Will attempt classical next to test for some all roundness.

Quality product for $100 particularly if you need the in line mic I don't think you'll find better in that price range.  If they can continue to gain Momentum (ha!) maybe they can take some market share from those damn beats and people can find out what real quality is.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #272 of 527
FYI Canadians, local stores such as Futureshop and Bestbuy have listed both the Android and iOS Momentum In-ears on their website! Unfortunately they have not received any shipments...yet. But it is progress and the first I have seen them listed! Can't wait! Price is $119.99, which is fair considering our Dollar has fallen slightly against the all-mighty greenback! I am getting excited!!

beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #273 of 527
  FYI Canadians, local stores such as Futureshop and Bestbuy have listed both the Android and iOS Momentum In-ears on their website! Unfortunately they have not received any shipments...yet. But it is progress and the first I have seen them listed! Can't wait! Price is $119.99, which is fair considering our Dollar has fallen slightly against the all-mighty greenback! I am getting excited!!

beerchug.gif

Amazon.ca has it (3 left in stock at the time of post), bought mine yesterday.

Before getting into a short first impression, I should note I barely have any experience with headphones, having listened to only the Razer Hammerhead, Razer Adaro IEMs and a couple cheap gaming headsets. The Momentum In-Ear is plugged into Bose Companion 2 series II speakers playing 320kbps MP3 files. So maybe my source isn't enough to drive these to their full potential.

Comfort:

M/L tips - I didn't find either of these very comfortable. The medium sized tips (default) were a little loose and never felt snug in the ear, but they were tolerable. Switching to the large tips, they did sit in place even if I shook my head around but there's this small but constant annoyance especially in my right ear. It feels like... air is being pressured deep into my ear but has no where to go. Most likely just my ears.

Sound:

Comparing the MIE to the Adaro, these are definitely an upgrade but not as much as I'd hoped for. These have been burned in for only 20 hours, but I'm having doubts it'll get noticeably better. Again compared to the Adaro, the bass isn't nearly as bloated but shows more finesse and definition in return. I think the audiophile way to say it would be, the MIE has a lot more control and responds more accurately. Sub bass seems to be lacking, instead sounds like there's an emphasis on mid bass... like a car's engine can't seem to get into the redline, but you can hear a glimpse of what it would sound like if it could. Its present, but just that.

The highs also showed A LOT more clarity. Actually, pretty much everything sounded more defined but I specifically noticed sounds like hi hats in more detail, more crisp, cleaner.

I didn't notice much of a difference in sound stage, if any at all. The upgrade in clarity does help separate certain sounds when I listened to orchestral music however. No difference in games like CSGO either.

Conclusion:

Having read the reviews here on head-fi of the MIE, I was expecting more bass especially in the sub region and had to EQ to my liking, otherwise the bass was a little flat at low to medium volumes. But from my listening, I never once thought the bass was the dominant signature. Instead, I felt everything to be somewhat equal tbh.

Overall I'd say I'm satisfied with the purchase considering its only $110 and was unfair in expecting too much. Although this is my first real IEM and I am satisfied, I'll most likely be returning these with plans to pick up the XBA-Z5 and a sound card or DAC to see what I'm really missing out on.

Edit: Take my words with a grain of salt, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about lol.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #274 of 527
Anyone tried these with the LG G3? Specifically, do the volume control buttons work?

I know Sennheiser lists LG as supported, but they also list HTC and we heard the volume buttons do not work with the HTC One M8.

I sent Sennheiser a question email on their site more than a week ago but they have not replied.

Thanks

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #276 of 527
I don't know if its just this headphone or to be expected but I wear a lot of sweaters with a quarter zip up top.  When the mic rubs against the zipper the microphonics issue is VERY pronounced - more so than even iBuds.  I need to find a comfortable way to wear them up to see if that moves the mic away from the zip.

Against fabric there isnt any more than usual with an inline mic but this is something to keep in mind as we approach the winter and zips become more prevelant.

Can anyone else that own them advise on if this is in line with other HP's with an inline mic?  Or am I just being super sensitive and this is pretty par for the course?

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #279 of 527
Been using these for a couple of days. I like to wrap cables around my ear, to eliminate cable noise and reduce weight, but this cable seems a little to stubborn for that. Going to see if it takes shape to my ear a bit, otherwise I may have to find something with a round cable.

They do sound impressive for 100 bucks though.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #280 of 527
I've had these also for a couple of days, courtesy of Amazon US, and thought I'd chime in with my very brief impressions as these have spent most of the past 2 days burning-in.

I'd like to echo some of what other have mentioned previously. These headphones are bass-y, at least more bass-y than I'm used to with IEMs. I don't think they're bassheads just yet because the bass is punchy and tight, quality over quantity. I thought the mids aren't very pronounced. I'd like some more mids with these and hopefully they'll improve over time in this regard.

Ergonomically speaking these are very light. For me they tend to stay in place while just walking around and I use medium sized tips without any problem. What is not quite optimal is the microphonics from the cable. Maybe because it's winter time and cable gets stiff outdoors, which really doesn't help reducing the microphonics. Even though I'm used to wearing IEM cables over and behind my ears, the cables on these, worn down, are just fine. Also the remote on these headphones is on the right, which is a bit odd for me, coming from the over-ear Momentums where the remote is on the left.

overall I think these are good value for $99 and am looking forward to seeing how the sound changes with more time on these. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #281 of 527
  Anyone tried these with the LG G3? Specifically, do the volume control buttons work?

I know Sennheiser lists LG as supported, but they also list HTC and we heard the volume buttons do not work with the HTC One M8.

I sent Sennheiser a question email on their site more than a week ago but they have not replied.

Thanks

You may check compatibility of your smartphones with our headsets at the following link - www.sennheiser.com/compatibility

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Nov 19, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #282 of 527
I can not guarantee compatibility but I can say I have bought two after market cables with volume controls that were advertised as being for Samsung phones and both worked with my LG G3 so I would think you have a better than average chance the volume buttons will work.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #284 of 527
  The site does not list the LG G3, but does list the LG G2, which is probably close enough. I see that everything works well on it. Thanks

The LG G2 and G3 share the same headset (which is excellent BTW). So anything that works on the G2 should work on the G3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back