New Sennheiser Headphones
Nov 22, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by JahJahBinks
How does the 250 compare with Sony MDR-V6 and Sen 280 Pro in terms of ambient noise blocking?

JahJah,

I just tried out my Sony V6's and they don't do a thing for blocking out sound!!! The new Senn 250's will actually not block so much noise as cancel it with their new, and according to Jude, better noise cancelling.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about te wallet!!! (standard greeting for new members!! We''re bad influences here when it comes to getting others to spend lots of money they don't have/want!!)

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #33 of 91
Thanks.

I am a student and when I study sometimes I don't want to hear the noise, music, counterstrike, you name it, from my roomate. I bought a pair of BOSE noise cancelling one but was disappointed that they only reduces low frequency sound. So the research goes on.....

I don't really like those Ety earphones.

I lean more toward close headphones, not too bulky, i.e. ears don't sweat after a while. Heh.

I read good reviews on Sony V6 but since you mentioned that they are poor at noise blocking, geez, thanks!

Any good recommendations?

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #34 of 91
Thanks for the tip about the HD 497 cords... I'll have to be careful with mine. Preciate it.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by srapps55
One question I have, as the semi-proud owner of the HD497, are the cords gonna hold out. My 497's sound great when both channels work, which is less often as time goes on.

Nov 22, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by srapps55
One question I have, as the semi-proud owner of the HD497, are the cords gonna hold out. My 497's sound great when both channels work, which is less often as time goes on. I looked at the pics of these new models, and the cords look similar to the ones on mine: very frail. Any thoughts on this, esp. since these are meant to be folded and carried around.

Sennheiser replacement cord for HD497 (HD212?).

EDIT

These Senns are gonna replace my now broken PortaPros.

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #38 of 91
wow those pics are larger than life!
biggrin.gif
Anyones of the 250s?

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #40 of 91
Oh no, here we go again.

One day I WILL find the perfect portable can.

I'm perfectly happy with my incredible MX500s - just how can these be so good, really good? Almost as good as my HD600s. I can listen to the 600s and switch to the 500s without experiencing complete aural hell. Every other earbud/ear clip I've tried has a) cost me money and b) been an awful experience, including the ER6.

At least I'll be able to get these in Britain - hopefully before you Yankees
biggrin.gif
, AND I'll be able to listen before I buy.

I'd have to get the closed 200s out of consideration for fellow train passengers (and the wife), but unfortunately all closed cans I've used sound, er, closed in. I don't recall feeling that the EX70s or ER6s sounded closed in. Anyone have any experience/prediction/speculation of the differences between the 100s and 200s?

Finally, I think it's a bit of a shame these aren't earclips... At least they'd be just about useable in bed then.

Nov 23, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #41 of 91
I don't expect these new little Senns to sound any better than our current crop of winners in the price range.

It seems as if Sennheiser has taken a page from the newest marketing strategies of BMV & Mercedes. Namely, come out with a low-priced model that rich parents (who already own the higher-end models) will buy for their kids, or young wannabe's will buy for the brand name recognition only. The idea is to get people into the brand early on with the hope & expectation of them staying with that brand for the bigger purchases in the future.

Call me cynical. Old age does that to you.

tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:36 PM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
The idea is to get people into the brand early on with the hope & expectation of them staying with that brand for the bigger purchases in the future.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, had I learnt that lesson it could have saved me a lot of money in recent times.

The only *real* headphones I'd ever bought until a year ago were the Sennheiser HD424X - thirty years ago. I've still got them.

The only heaphones I've bought in the last year or so (about 8 pairs) that I like at all have been the MX500s and HD600s.

Nov 23, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #43 of 91
A couple of weeks ago I'd finally decided that I don't get on with behind-ear 'phones (glasses-wearer) or in-ears (tried the MX500's - sound great but they kept falling out. Tried the EX70's and the bass was horrific, plus they made my ears hurt).

I resorted to using my Beyerdynamic DT231's but they were a bit bit for the train and made me look like an alien - I was depsiring of ever finding a pair of good, portable, quality, comfortable inexpensive 'phones here in England.

Until I tried the PX200's yesterday.

They are the absolute business - great sound (better than the MX500's IMHO), very discreet, utterly comfortable and well-priced at £39.99 on the High Street. Used them on the train on the way home last night and they isolate well - very little external leaking and they do a very good job of keeping noise out.

So - a huge thumbs-up from me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Radiohead
(as good as the MX500's IMHO)

Not better? How are the highs lows mids ?? How's comfort? do you like the looks? The pouch?

Nov 23, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #45 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Not better? How are the highs lows mids ?? How's comfort? do you like the looks? The pouch?

They are better IMHO - I did mean to write that....

The highs are very well resolved without harshness. Mids are smooth and vocals relate well. Lows are as good as I'd expect with closed cans of this size. Tuneful and track complex lines well.

Comfort is outstanding, and the pouch is quite nifty - looks like a glasses case. They got some looks on the train that's for sure!

I can't recommend them enough - although I accept that I'm not as demanding as many on these forums!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back