New Sennheiser canalphones (CX400, CX500, CXL400, CX55, CX95)
Jan 18, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #47 of 58
Near Identical specs to the 300? Well, lots of us wanted to try the 300 with a volume attenuator so we could turn our sources up and then the attenuator down to tame the hiss (I have to have my shuffle on a very low volume setting). I have never found a shure attenuator around here

So is the volume control on the 500 the neat solution we were looking for?

Glad to see the Y cable but I still think they needed to add a slider to the 'Y' to help manage the cable and to tame the microphonics

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #48 of 58
bought sennheiser cxl400 in the end of April, they sounded wonderful but the right cord went torn near the conjunction between the cord and the neckstrap, and nothing can be done. bad news implying their unbeatable quality and high price.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #50 of 58
Did anybody tried new Sennheiser CX6?. Which are very highend than these models and spouse to be very good to shows details and maybe bass heavy as CX300........

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #51 of 58
Great thread here. I like the fact that the CX400/500 are more detailed than the CX300. But I must go to the sticky to find out what warmth means in terms of sound. There are also the CX380 Sport ll but they are overpriced, imo.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #52 of 58
I exchanged the CX300 for CX500 and I am astonished at the improvement in sound. The separation of the instruments in the CX500 is much better than the CX300. Where the CX300 was muddy so the mids and lows tended to mix together. The CX500 also is more sparkly and open.

Finally, the build quality of the CX500 is extensively better than the CX300. The wire is thicker and tougher. The in-line volume control is useful, if you want quick access to talk to someone. I love the cable-winder and the case is very fashionable, imo. At least moreso than the Etymotic ER6 case.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #53 of 58
hi, i need help in choosing..

i like bass alot. and i also consider great sounds, durability, and comfort..

i'm considering these products: cx 500/cx 500 g4me, cx 400, cx 300/cx 300 ii, or maybe cx 95.

please recommend the one that has the greatest bass and sound quality. i cant test them by myself since i will only have my uncle buy it from me in other country..

I trust you guys..

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #54 of 58
Hello Everyone!

I am really glad to have found this forum and community.

I have a question which is relevant to this topic. I recently purchased a pair of CX500s (and after doing quite a bit of research---which I did before I purchased them---I am convinced that I do indeed own a genuine pair of CX500s. However, thus far, I am somewhat less than thrilled with the sound quality of these. In my opinion, this is just way too much bass, and with my iPod (the NanoChromatic, (Nano 4th gen)), there are not many options to reducing the bass. It really is too bad that Apple does not offer a manual setting on their EQ drop-down menu. But my beef here is NOT with Apple, per se, as I am certainly otherwise happy with my 16 GB iPod. I was really hoping that these phones would sound better than this. But in most instances there is not only too much bass, but also it sounds muddy in my opinion, and even seems to drown out some of the other frequencies, like the mid-range and highs.

Although I will spare everyone here the details of the long story behind why this is the case, but in a nutshell, the CX500s have basically replaced a pair of Bose In-Ear Earphones. Let me clarify something here though: I did not get rid of the Bose because I didn't like the sound quality. On the contrary, I have yet to hear a better sounding pair of In-Ear Earphones than those made by Bose. As soon I as I can save up for another pair, I will definitely get some. I made a grave error in getting rid of them. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

At any rate, I am presently trying to sell my CX500s (I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that I am not allowed to tell you where I have them presently listed. So that information will remain unspoken here). But before I end this rather lengthy post, let me ask you all a very important question: I have read in a few places that the CX500s supposedly get better over time, and that you really have to be patient with them in order to get past the 'breaking in' stage. So my question to you is this....does anyone happen to know if this is true about these phones? And if so, is it possible that I may be jumping the proverbial gun here by trying to get rid of these so soon. I have probably only used them about 4 or at most 5 times at this point. Should I be more patient, and give them a chance to be broken in before trying to get my money back? And if they do get better over time, is it possible that this muddy sounding overmodulated bass will either improve or go away with time and use as well?

Thank you for any comments and information you can provide.

-Louis8ball

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #55 of 58
I LOVED my cx500's and although I didnt try the high-end IEMs (yet
wink.gif
) these were a big step up from the cx300 and creative ep-630 I used to own in terms of sound. the sound was comfortable to my ears and very enjoyable imo, but now they're broken because of their bad build quality
frown.gif
, and I'm looking for a high-end earphone that has great bass, detachable cords, and excellent sound, so im choosing between either buying a reasonably priced future sonics atrio m5, or breaking the bank and buying a sennheiser ie8, any suggestions? is the ie8 worth difference in price?

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #56 of 58
I haven't tried the CX500's, but I do own the CX400's which I'm told are pretty much the same thing. Whether or not that's true I don't know. There's no comparison between the IE8's and my CX400's. I really can't even stand my CX400's because the highs sound so terrible and metallic. Very unnatural. The IE8's do share the attribute of having massive bass, which to me sounds like them having a full body. It makes other IEMS sound kind of like they're missing something to me.

The IE8 looks like it's amazingly built to me. I haven't had it for that long, maybe 2-3 weeks? It seems solid and the cable is the best I've seen.

The sound on the IE8's is very thick. The highs are sparkling and extended. They're very good for me. Vocals are smooth and never sibilant (that I've heard). The soundstage is the biggest out of IEMS I've tried. I do sort of agree they could be too much for some people although I can listen to them for a long time. If you want a more neutral sound the IE7's are supposedly very good as well and they're much cheaper. The price on them is around $190 I believe.

If you do get either, keep in mind they need a burn in/break in period. My IE8's sounded poor out of the box - to the point if I didn't know better I would have immediately sent them back. I was happy with the sound after about 60 hours at which point I stopped burning them in and just listen to them normally. I'd get the IE7's or IE8's over the Atrios. I'm not sure if the IE7 has a detachable cord.

As for the CX500's, I think they will get better with burn in because they are dynamic drivers but if they are similar to the CX400's I would buy something else. I regret buying mine.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the CX500's, but I do own the CX400's which I'm told are pretty much the same thing. Whether or not that's true I don't know. There's no comparison between the IE8's and my CX400's. I really can't even stand my CX400's because the highs sound so terrible and metallic. Very unnatural. The IE8's do share the attribute of having massive bass, which to me sounds like them having a full body. It makes other IEMS sound kind of like they're missing something to me.

The IE8 looks like it's amazingly built to me. I haven't had it for that long, maybe 2-3 weeks? It seems solid and the cable is the best I've seen.

The sound on the IE8's is very thick. The highs are sparkling and extended. They're very good for me. Vocals are smooth and never sibilant (that I've heard). The soundstage is the biggest out of IEMS I've tried. I do sort of agree they could be too much for some people although I can listen to them for a long time. If you want a more neutral sound the IE7's are supposedly very good as well and they're much cheaper. The price on them is around $190 I believe.

If you do get either, keep in mind they need a burn in/break in period. My IE8's sounded poor out of the box - to the point if I didn't know better I would have immediately sent them back. I was happy with the sound after about 60 hours at which point I stopped burning them in and just listen to them normally. I'd get the IE7's or IE8's over the Atrios. I'm not sure if the IE7 has a detachable cord.

As for the CX500's, I think they will get better with burn in because they are dynamic drivers but if they are similar to the CX400's I would buy something else. I regret buying mine.

thanks man, that was really helpful. I hope I find them for a good price though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back