New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Apr 13, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #706 of 834

Quote:
Duct tape works very easily too.

You'll still need the alcohol to clean the tape residue off the tube
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #707 of 834

Quote:
You'll still need the alcohol to clean off the tape residue off the tube
smile.gif

If you don't leave the tape on too long, there is no residue to clean off.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #708 of 834
That really depends on the brand of duct tape!

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #709 of 834

Quote:
That really depends on the brand of duct tape!

Of course it does!  I find Gaffer's tape works best WRT leaving no residue.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #711 of 834
Of course it does!  I find Gaffer's tape works best WRT leaving no residue.

LoL...thanks Kevin...yet another use for duct tape. I bet MacGyver never thought of using duct tape to remove tubes from an amp. :smile:

Good to know I have options instead of trying for about 5 minutes and teaching my kids a few choice words that my wife wouldn't like.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #712 of 834
Just take superglue and use that to take out the tube. You won't have to worry about the grip and the residue is easily cleaned off. Once you take the tube out, just wait a couple hours and then peel your fingers off (do this slowly- take care not to rip of your skin or finger). Then, clean off the superglue residue from the tube with rubbing alcohol (this step may take long if you failed to follow the previous step and ripped of a piece of skin or part of your finger) Of course, make sure the tube is cooled down, or else you're screwed.

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #713 of 834
I have changed the tubes about 6 times so far.  It really isnt that big a drama.  Just some gentle rocking as you lift makes them come out easily.  I use a small piece of rubber from the kitchen that is used to either peel garlic or grip jar lids.  Works well.

Anyone that chooses not to buy the Lyr due to the difficulty of tube rolling is really missing out on a $1000 plus amp at Half Price.  I love it.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #714 of 834
The Asgard is not better than the Lyr with low impedance phones.  Simplistically, the Asgard is more appropriate for use with high sensitivity phones, and the Lyr for low sensitivity phones.

Do you mean low sensitibilty phones harder to drive regardless of impedance?

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #715 of 834

Quote:
Quote:
The Asgard is not better than the Lyr with low impedance phones.  Simplistically, the Asgard is more appropriate for use with high sensitivity phones, and the Lyr for low sensitivity phones.

Do you mean low sensitibilty phones harder to drive regardless of impedance?

Yes, that's what sensitivity is, a given level of acoustic output for a given level of electrical power input.  This also known as a measure of efficiency.  Usually shown as xxdB/mW  That's xx decibels per milliwatt.

Impedance (Z) is a measure of AC resistance comprised of (DC resistance + capacitive reactance + inductive reactance) @ a given frequency in Hz.  In a practical sense, it will affect how efficiently power in mW can be coupled (transferred) from amplifier to headphone.  

Power (P) = current (I) x voltage (E).

A low impedance headphone needs higher current and lower voltage for most effective power transfer and a high impedance headphone needs lower current and higher voltage for most effective power transfer.  Remember, power equals current times voltage.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #716 of 834

Quote:
Yes, that's what sensitivity is, a given level of acoustic output for a given level of electrical power input.  This also known as a measure of efficiency.  Usually shown as xxdB/mW  That's xx decibels per milliwatt.

Impedance (Z) is a measure of AC resistance comprised of (DC resistance + capacitive reactance + inductive reactance) @ a given frequency in Hz.  In a practical sense, it will affect how efficiently power in mW can be coupled (transferred) from amplifier to headphone.  

Power (P) = current (I) x voltage (E).

A low impedance headphone needs higher current and lower voltage for most effective power transfer and a high impedance headphone needs lower current and higher voltage for most effective power transfer.  Remember, power equals current times voltage.

That's a good, concise explanation.  I also agree that the Asgard is better than the Lyr for sensitive headphones.  From the Lyr, there's definitely a bit of noise when listening to my LA7000 -- it's not really noticeable except during quiet passages of music, but it is enough that I prefer the cleaner sound of the lower-gain Asgard with my Denons.  For comparison, I can *barely* hear the noise with my HD800, while with the K701, DT880/600, and HE-6, the noise isn't audible.

For anyone concerned about noise issues or amp synergy, you can just get all three Schiit amps -- that's what I did! 
biggrin.gif
  The Asgard for your low-impedance, high-sensitivity Denons and Grados, the Valhalla for your high-impedance Beyers, and the Lyr for your power-hungry orthos and everything else in between.  It might sound ridiculous, but when you realize you can get all three Schiit amps for about the same price as a single Woo WA2 or WA6SE, it starts to sound a little less crazy...

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #717 of 834
That's a good, concise explanation.  I also agree that the Asgard is better than the Lyr for sensitive headphones.  From the Lyr, there's definitely a bit of noise when listening to my LA7000 -- it's not really noticeable except during quiet passages of music, but it is enough that I prefer the cleaner sound of the lower-gain Asgard with my Denons.  For comparison, I can *barely* hear the noise with my HD800, while with the K701, DT880/600, and HE-6, the noise isn't audible.

For anyone concerned about noise issues or amp synergy, you can just get all three Schiit amps -- that's what I did! 
biggrin.gif
  The Asgard for your low-impedance, high-sensitivity Denons and Grados, the Valhalla for your high-impedance Beyers, and the Lyr for your power-hungry orthos and everything else in between.  It might sound ridiculous, but when you realize you can get all three Schiit amps for about the same price as a single Woo WA2 or WA6SE, it starts to sound a little less crazy...

Wow. You are indeed in deep Schiit! Whereas I am just hanging for a sch... Nahh I can't say it. Just hurry up and make a DAC! :)

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #718 of 834

biggrin.gif

I think Denons are one of harder to drive phones. Of course, I'm not talking about the volume level, but you need high current to properly drive them to get sq.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #719 of 834

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I think Denons are one of harder to drive phones. Of course, I'm not talking about the volume level, but you need high current to properly drive them to get sq.

Interestingly, many headphones fall into that bucket.  They're sensitive enough to be able to make noise with almost any amp, but it takes a more powerful amp to make them sound alive, not louder, just more dynamic and open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back