New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Apr 2, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #676 of 834
Wow...I didn't know there was a Holland-made CCA. Apparently there were not many of them!

I have a ton of great 6DJ8's and 6922's just awaitin' to try in the Lyr...but not sure where my review loaner is in the production queue. When amps are super-popular right out of the gate like this one, review loaners don't get much priority (quite justifiably).

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #677 of 834
Pinched waist huh, sounds sexy.

Not really seeing it though
confused.gif

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #679 of 834
A pretty good deal on these rare gems, perhaps they will relist

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280649037109&si=Jqei5Czm%252B612X5SHZTbZ%252F5Plhz4%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #680 of 834
Anyone heard the Lyr with the Beyer (extensively) ?

The T1s sound like schiit on my Darkvoice 336SE (the high end is way overcooked), as opposed to the DT990 600ohms (fun to listen to).

I ordered the Lyr as i would like to try some Ortho cans in the future but based on my brief listening experience with the T1 and Lyr they sound better than when i heard the T1 with the Valhalla.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #681 of 834
Does anyone know which tube position corresponds to which channel?  I didn't want to pull a tube with the amp hot and I also didn't want to take the amp apart quite yet to find out
biggrin.gif

I just ordered a pair of matched genalaxes and one of them is really hissy
triportsad.gif
.  I'd like to mark the offending tube before I mail them back.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #684 of 834
I just got my Genalex tubes today, and they are noisy!  One of them has a very loud hum while the other is more tolerable.  Both are noticeably noisier than the stock JJ's (one of which is completely quiet).  I will see what I can do about RMAing the Genalexes.

In any case, the stock tubes are very quiet. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #685 of 834
Well I can't speak to my own experience as I've never ran the genalexes before but I've sure heard plenty of good things about them.

With my set, one was dead as a doornail quiet, and the other one had a very obvious and quite annoying hiss.  Maybe a bad batch came out or there are some QC issues or we were both just simply unlucky.

I will say that I don't/didn't have a single complaint about the stock JJ's.  I'm a tinkerer what can you do.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #686 of 834
I just got my Genalex tubes today, and they are noisy!  One of them has a very loud hum while the other is more tolerable.  Both are noticeably noisier than the stock JJ's (one of which is completely quiet).  I will see what I can do about RMAing the Genalexes.

In any case, the stock tubes are very quiet. 

Where did you buy them from?

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #687 of 834
The Lyr is settling down and impressions are up. Really impressive with the HE-6 and K701. I thought that the LCD-2 was a little soft out of it, I like them much better out of the WA22 balanced. Really, really adds something nice as a preamp between my DAC's SE output and Bose Cinemate 2.1 speaker system. Running Amprex gold pin 6922s in it. Runs pretty warm. K1000s next up!

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #688 of 834

So far:

One thing I seem to be observing is that as the efficiency of a given headphone decreases, the liveliness of the Lyr seems to increase.  

Another thing I seem to be observing is that with high efficiency headphones, the gain structure of the Lyr does not seem to differ much from the Asgard, but as one listens to less efficient headphones, the Asgard seems to flatten out, while the Lyr seems to come to life.  

So with a high efficiency can, the Asgard may actually sound better than the Lyr, but for medium and low efficiency cans, the Lyr comes alive and keeps on going, while the Asgard seems to comparatively run out of steam in the bass and roll off on the extreme highs.  

That's just my subjective impressions so far, with seven different headphones ranging from the AKG-K1000, LCD-2, K-701, Vintage Sansui SS-100, T50RP, Excel Open Air 50mm drivers, with the Koss E90/ESP-950 as a control.  So far, the Lyr is clearly a keeper.  All but the Excel cans improve sonically when driven from the Lyr over the Asgard.  

More about specifics to come later.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #689 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far:

One thing I seem to be observing is that as the efficiency of a given headphone decreases, the liveliness of the Lyr seems to increase.  

Another thing I seem to be observing is that with high efficiency headphones, the gain structure of the Lyr does not seem to differ much from the Asgard, but as one listens to less efficient headphones, the Asgard seems to flatten out, while the Lyr seems to come to life.  

So with a high efficiency can, the Asgard may actually sound better than the Lyr, but for medium and low efficiency cans, the Lyr comes alive and keeps on going, while the Asgard seems to comparatively run out of steam in the bass and roll off on the extreme highs.  

That's just my subjective impressions so far, with seven different headphones ranging from the AKG-K1000, LCD-2, K-701, Vintage Sansui SS-100, T50RP, Excell Open Air 50mm drivers, with the Koss E90/ESP-950 as a control.  So far, the Lyr is clearly a keeper.  All but the Excell cans improve sonically when driven from the Lyr over the Asgard.  

More about specifics to come later.

Decisions, decisions...

What are the specs on those Excells.  I've never heard of them and Google gave me nada for "Excell Open Air".

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #690 of 834

Quote:
Decisions, decisions...

What are the specs on those Excells.  I've never heard of them and Google gave me nada for "Excell Open Air".

They're very much like the Audio Technica ATH-AD1000 headphones, have high sensitivity, and sound pretty good overall, but not as good as any of the other cans used in this test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back