New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Mar 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #616 of 834

Quote:
Quote:

Hi tunarat,
When you say the Lyr is more "musical" do you mean it has greater dynamics because of the additional power OR that it imparts it own sonic signature on the music, emphasizing some frequencies over others?
Thanks!

Yes, besides the dynamics the Lyr has a little different sound signature, not to say it really imparts a "flavor" to the music, but draws you into it more with a broader soundstage and better defined and enjoyable mids. Highs are silkier as you would expect, and the bass though not quite as snappy as the Asgard sounds more realistic. With the LCD2's the music is just more pleasurable. The Asgard was a bit thin for my taste.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #618 of 834
When was the last LA meet?  Looking forward to the next.  Anything scheduled yet?

Quote:
I'd second that.  The Head-Fi meets are a great way to listen to meet some of the gang here and hear some amazing setups.  I've been to three (two at L.A. International Airport and the recent one in Burlingame in the SF Bay Area) and all have been very hepful in selecting equipment.  I picked up the HE-6 headphones and the Lyr after the Burlingame meet - and the Smyth Realiser 8 after the last LA meet. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #620 of 834

Quote:
I can't seem to find Jude's impressions of the Lyr anywhere.  Has he not had time yet or did I just miss it?

I forgot to post it.  I'll post it shortly--at the moment, I'm at a coffee house getting some work done.

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #623 of 834
Because I only use my iMac or Macbook for music listening. I have a decent computer speaker system that is plenty and have the fiio e7/e9 as my current set up. I wanted to upgrade the e7 first and get a decent dac to use with the e9 for now, then eventually get the lyr. I dont understand what you mean "not needing a good dac". I want a good dac comparable to say the lyr in price. I'm looking for the best possible dac in that price range only need to to run out of a mac. I have no intention of using any other components for the dac. I'm trying to keep things simple as possible. I thought the Music Streamer II+ would be a great option since every review i've read has been stellar, it's in my price range, I've seen at least 2 or 3 people use it successfully with the lyr, and its as simple of a dac as it can get? Am i wrong here? Really need multiple opinions on this one guys.

I've read good things about the Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Debitsohn here was selling his and he sold it like 2hrs before my final buy PM darn it! it goes for around $430 new in black or silver. I'm sure the silver would look nice with your closed Apple ecosystem :D

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #625 of 834

Quote:
Quote:
Because I only use my iMac or Macbook for music listening. I have a decent computer speaker system that is plenty and have the fiio e7/e9 as my current set up. I wanted to upgrade the e7 first and get a decent dac to use with the e9 for now, then eventually get the lyr. I dont understand what you mean "not needing a good dac". I want a good dac comparable to say the lyr in price. I'm looking for the best possible dac in that price range only need to to run out of a mac. I have no intention of using any other components for the dac. I'm trying to keep things simple as possible. I thought the Music Streamer II+ would be a great option since every review i've read has been stellar, it's in my price range, I've seen at least 2 or 3 people use it successfully with the lyr, and its as simple of a dac as it can get? Am i wrong here? Really need multiple opinions on this one guys.

I've read good things about the Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Debitsohn here was selling his and he sold it like 2hrs before my final buy PM darn it! it goes for around $430 new in black or silver. I'm sure the silver would look nice with your closed Apple ecosystem
biggrin.gif

Thank you for responding to my question. I heard good things about the Dacmagic, but according to the review below, you can see that this guy easily would choose the MSII+ over it, and being cheaper. I'm still looking through this forum/asking people here about what would be a good choice, not rushing anything. I even question whether or not I would really need an Lyr or would a Valhalla be better in my situation. Here is that review i was talking about, the author mentions on the second page his opinion against the dacmagic.

http://www.headfonia.com/hrt-music-streamer-ii-2496-usb-dac/2/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back