New Schiit Lyr: Hybrid 6W Headphone Amp. Yes. Six. Watts. RMS.
Jul 19, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #751 of 834
basically my planned setup is Compass as DAC/Pre-amp ---> pre-out ---> Lyr ---> HD650... this way the compass will control the volume instead of the Lyr i.e. i will use Compass' volume knob instead of Lyr's... will there be noise added to the chain in this plan?

the rationale is that, Compass has a pre-out switch so if i use it as preamp to the Lyr, i will be using the HD650... if not, i will be using HD595 connected to the Compass...

so my desktop rig will have 2 functions: (1) HD650 rig and (2) HD595 rig

(1) Compass as DAC/Pre-amp ---> pre-out (switch on) ---> Lyr ---> HD650 (is this double amping? pls advice =)) (mainly for pure audio function)
(2) Compass as DAC/HP Amp ---> pre-out (switch off) ---> HD595 (for movies or gaming if ever i'll play games again)

now the 3rd function, i've got the idea from @Kremer930
(3) Compass as DAC/Pre-amp ---> pre-out (switch on) ---> Lyr ---> pre-out ---> Aego M 2.1 speakers (i think this one will have too much noice, but the rationale is to share the music with anyone in the room)

bear with me again, as i'm enjoying this "wallet-thinning"-satisfying-audio-hobby journey.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #752 of 834
I am not sure but I think that you will get better sound quality by sending the Lyr a line out rather than pre-out level signal.  You combinations should work otherwise.

Cheers

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #753 of 834
thanks, will probably use the DAC-out (line-out) then... my Aego-M will be happier for having a tube pre-amp haha
will think what to do with the HD595, is there such thing as HP out switcher??
btw, how much is the Mullard ECC88 in case i decide to copy your Lyr config?

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #754 of 834
Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe (Holland) A-frames in the Lyr have wonderful synergy with the HD650. They have an airy and transparent quality with pristine highs and deep but well defined bass. Soundstage is wide and the imaging is great. They really elevate the HD650 to another level, but bear in mind that your dac and cables will also have a bearing on the end result, so ymmv imo etc...

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #755 of 834
I bought my tubes as Amperex Mullard ECC88 tubes but when I look at them they have an Amperex logo in orange with the A frame and a dimpled getter. They were a bargain at $40 landed. I haven't seen them that cheap since. They could be the same as what Olor' is recommending above. The qualities sound very similar even through my HE6.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #756 of 834
I wonder if this is the holy grail of Schiity tubes:

"This is very rare super matched pair mullard E88CC/6922 gold pin tubes.This is not regular version, this is SQ(special quality)highest quality tubes."

Available now for only $200

NO the CCa Siemens & Halske are the holy grail but they cost much more than 200.00 twice that if you are lucky more like 500.00 a set

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #757 of 834

Quote:
Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe (Holland) A-frames in the Lyr have wonderful synergy with the HD650. They have an airy and transparent quality with pristine highs and deep but well defined bass. Soundstage is wide and the imaging is great. They really elevate the HD650 to another level, but bear in mind that your dac and cables will also have a bearing on the end result, so ymmv imo etc...

will keep this in view, how much is this tube? which website should i visit for this baby?

Quote:
I bought my tubes as Amperex Mullard ECC88 tubes but when I look at them they have an Amperex logo in orange with the A frame and a dimpled getter. They were a bargain at $40 landed. I haven't seen them that cheap since. They could be the same as what Olor' is recommending above. The qualities sound very similar even through my HE6.

wow, thanks again! my audio journey is getting exciting by the day and the wallet is always coughing haha

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #758 of 834

Quote:
you mean AKG K702?
now, i'm really inclined to click that "checkout" button =) my other concern, will my idea of using the Compass' as pre-amp defeat the purpose of Lyr's "volume control" i.e. pre-amp section of Compass inferior (or superior)  to Lyr's?

thanks for you very informative response @Kremer930 =)

I would not recommend that.  There's nothing wrong with the volume control in the Lyr, and with all that power on tap, if you were running the Lyr wide open and controlling the volume via upstream attenuation, if there was ever a glitch in your signal chain, you would have magic smoke coming out of your headphones.  Please, use the Lyr as it was designed, you won't be sorry.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #759 of 834

Quote:
I would not recommend that.  There's nothing wrong with the volume control in the Lyr, and with all that power on tap, if you were running the Lyr wide open and controlling the volume via upstream attenuation, if there was ever a glitch in your signal chain, you would have magic smoke coming out of your headphones.  Please, use the Lyr as it was designed, you won't be sorry.

I will be using the DAC-out once i buy the Lyr, hmmm the Compass might the "bottle-necking" the Lyr. I should have planned my purchases carefully haha
Lyr was not part of the plan before, should only stop at HD650 but heck, i was excited and enticed by this hybrid amp... =)

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #760 of 834

Quote:
I will be using the DAC-out once i buy the Lyr, hmmm the Compass might the "bottle-necking" the Lyr. I should have planned my purchases carefully haha
Lyr was not part of the plan before, should only stop at HD650 but heck, i was excited and enticed by this hybrid amp... =)

No question, the Lyr is a great amp, and should work well if you simply feed it a line level signal from your DAC.  I wouldn't recommend the Lyr for use with IEMs or uber sensitive low impedance cans, but for everything else, it's great.  I would recommend you order it fitted with GE 6BZ7 tubes from Schiit.  The 6BZ7s really sound great in that amp.

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #761 of 834

Quote:

No question, the Lyr is a great amp, and should work well if you simply feed it a line level signal from your DAC.  I wouldn't recommend the Lyr for use with IEMs or uber sensitive low impedance cans, but for everything else, it's great.  I would recommend you order it fitted with GE 6BZ7 tubes from Schiit.  The 6BZ7s really sound great in that amp.

Hello kwkarth 
you seem to know a lot about stuff. Would you recommend this amp for Hifiman HE series and HD800? I am looking for a new tube amp and would like to upgrade from LD MKIV SE. 

thanks, Peter

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #762 of 834

Quote:

Hello kwkarth 
you seem to know a lot about stuff. Would you recommend this amp for Hifiman HE series and HD800? I am looking for a new tube amp and would like to upgrade from LD MKIV SE. 

thanks, Peter

Peter,
Although I don't own any of the HE series cans, I've heard a couple different models.  I've spent some time listening to the HD-800.  I think the Lyr easily has the power and finesse to do an exemplary job with any of those cans.  The fact that tube rolling can be used to further "tune" the amp for the particular cans you want to use it with is icing on the cake.  As a point of reference, I have never heard my AKG K-701, and K1000s sound better with any other amp.  The Lyr seems to give them new life.  I've found the same to be true for almost every can I have, including the HD600s, K501s, Grados, etc.  I'm sure there are ultimately better amplifiers available if cost is no object, but for me personally the Lyr with the 6BZ7 is right at the top of the curve  before you start to see diminishing returns on your investment.

Bast of luck!

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #763 of 834

Quote:

Hello kwkarth 

thanks, Peter

Peter,
Although I don't own any of the HE series cans, I've heard a couple different models.  I've spent some time listening to the HD-800.  I think the Lyr easily has the power and finesse to do an exemplary job with any of those cans.  The fact that tube rolling can be used to further "tune" the amp for the particular cans you want to use it with is icing on the cake.  As a point of reference, I have never heard my AKG K-701, and K1000s sound better with any other amp.  The Lyr seems to give them new life.  I've found the same to be true for almost every can I have, including the HD600s, K501s, Grados, etc.  I'm sure there are ultimately better amplifiers available if cost is no object, but for me personally the Lyr with the 6BZ7 is right at the top of the curve  before you start seeing diminishing returns on your investment.

Bast of luck!

Thank you very much sir! Lyr is now my first choice. This month I will be getting Opus DAC, next month it is Lyr's turn. Hopefully I will enjoy this combo. I will order it with the tubes you recommended. 

kindest regards, Peter

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #764 of 834
Have you checked out the Schiit Bifrost DAC yet? Also great value and will match beautifully to the Lyr.

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #765 of 834

Quote:
Have you checked out the Schiit Bifrost DAC yet? Also great value and will match beautifully to the Lyr.

I primarily bought the Opus for 8741 DAC. I very much enjoy 8740 that's is in DacMagic and I think Opus should be even better. I heard there will be two more Schiit DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back