NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #121 of 2,741
I've done some more listening with the A2 and my HE-400s and yea, I'm not sure there's enough of a difference in sound to justify me keeping it around. It sounds great and if I didn't already have the E17 around, I would probably keep it. As it stands though, I can get the HE-400s sounding good enough (to my ears) without spending that much extra cash. 

Mine also hums and it's pretty dang audible, even near my buzz-happy plasma TV. I can hear it from my sitting position which is probably about 8' away. Obviously it's not noticeable while I'm actively using the headphones. I probably wouldn't have even given it much thought if not for good ol' Head-Fi :wink:

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #122 of 2,741
Quote:
I agree with the A2 praise above. Listening through an HD650 and very impressed. The A2 was a drop-in replacement for a Magni. The A2 clearly bests the Magni in all the usual ways. I am most struck by the increased soundstage and tighter, more forceful bass.

Also very impressed with it's pre-amp function. I had my active desktop monitors connected directly to a Modi and didn't think there would be much improvement with the A2 added. My initial impression is very positive with many of the above hp amp qualities coming through. Surprising to me as I thought the preamp function would be largely "pass through" just adding the vol pot? Is this true?

This amp is a winner IMO.

+1

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #123 of 2,741
I love hearing about the preamp function. Does anyone know if it would output enough signal to drive a pro amp? I want to get a Crown XLS1000 for my Def Tech SM65s because they sound better with more power. If the Asgard 2 can't do it, I'll just get another Dayton APA150 and run them bridged.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #124 of 2,741
I love hearing about the preamp function. Does anyone know if it would output enough signal to drive a pro amp? I want to get a Crown XLS1000 for my Def Tech SM65s because they sound better with more power. If the Asgard 2 can't do it, I'll just get another Dayton APA150 and run them bridged.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #125 of 2,741

The preamp output of the A2 will drive your Crown just fine as its sensitivity is 1.4v.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #126 of 2,741
The preamp output of the A2 will drive your Crown just fine as its sensitivity is 1.4v.

Awesome. Now I'm really stoked to pick one up.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #128 of 2,741
Mine also had a hum, so I sent it back for an exchange.  I'm awaiting the replacement.

It seems that some A2s hum and some don't.  That tells me there are some bad transformers from their vendor. 

Quote:
Oh right, I forgot to mention THE hum.  It's quite audible and I was a little shocked by it.  What's up with that?  My A1 never had this hum...

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #130 of 2,741
I was wondering if anybody has had the chance to compare the Asgard 2 with the Little Dot Mk5. I am trying to decide which to get, both seem well liked by a lot of people on here. If it were not for the hum issue I would be a little more excited about the Schiit unit. May just wait a while and see if they solve that problem in the near future.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #131 of 2,741
Quote:
I was wondering if anybody has had the chance to compare the Asgard 2 with the Little Dot Mk5. I am trying to decide which to get, both seem well liked by a lot of people on here. If it were not for the hum issue I would be a little more excited about the Schiit unit. May just wait a while and see if they solve that problem in the near future.

While I cannot comment on Little Dot, I definitely would not worry about the hum issue.

I've only had my A2 for two+ days and ran it about 10 hours/day trying to break in; this alone decreased hum significantly (not that it was strong or of any concern at the beginning). It might be that the epoxy potting process requires some time for the compound to harden, although that's just my wild guess. Plus I am sure they are working with their suppliers to make it even better.

Personally, there is no way I am sending mine back due to this issue; equally, knowing what I know I would buy it agan without hesitation.

Also, only 20 hours of break-in have already improved the sound slightly - considering it sounded extremely well right out of the box. Just saying.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #133 of 2,741
Quote:

But it should not be there at all.

Quote:
I just checked my A2. I can only hear the hum if my ear is practically touching the top vent.     

You are right, it absolutely should not.

Now, how many products do we use that have things that should not be there, and we are still happy using them?

I am quite a perfectionist, but what the heck, I would probably struggle to name just a few around me that would have everything exactly like I wanted... But I still enjoy all of them (the ones I don't find themselves in trash very quickly).

Not trying to diminish your point, of course.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #135 of 2,741
lets get some pictures of peoples set ups =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back