NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #2,661 of 2,741
I'm using the Asgard 2 with my LCD-2 and it's fine. I recently auditioned the Asgard 3, and it didn't seem to be any better sounding to my ears.
The Asgard 2 is still special to me, actually one of my favorite synergy with the Asgard2 is the Bifrost and Edition X from Hifiman. This combo brings out something I find really, really nice about the headphones. Compared to my Jotunheim, it is just different perhaps not much better! Compared to my Gen 1 Mjolnir, is again similar but can say, the sound is even bigger and spacious but still very similar tone to the Asgard 2! The Asgard 2 was probably my first amp from Schiit and I still love and enjoy it! Dead silent, has enough power, extends fairly well on both ends and has a musical midrange! Between my Graham Slee Novo and my Asgard 2, they similar sounding but has better extension top and bottom but the Novo has such a sweet midrange, nice and tubey!

I dare say, the Asgard 3 is a better buy nowadays but everything in this hobby will come down to your ears! Trust your ears!

Asgard 2 for life!

May 14, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,664 of 2,741
Mjolnir's hotter bro is here.

11235106.jpg

Asgard the fire hazard. Word.

May 14, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,665 of 2,741
@roskodan What are your thoughts of the Asgard with the Aeon Flow?
Ive been thinking to pair a planar with it since it rolls the top end a bit, I have only had experience with a pair of grados with it.

May 14, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #2,666 of 2,741
I got it today. From a quick listen, it's darker, but not muddy. Overall it does tame the highs too. How much, and if it's too dark for the likes of Audeze, I can't tell. With the Aeon it's pretty much spot on with low gain. High gain felt a little less dark, less rounded in the highs. Definitely darker and more bloomy than my o.g. Mjolnir v1.

May 14, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #2,667 of 2,741
I got it today. From a quick listen, it's darker, but not muddy. Overall it does tame the highs too. How much, and if it's too dark for the likes of Audeze, I can't tell. With the Aeon it's pretty much spot on with low gain. High gain felt a little less dark, less rounded in the highs. Definitely darker and more bloomy than my o.g. Mjolnir v1.
Same Bifrost/Asgard setup, pushing some AR H1's, really loving the sound to be honest. Is your Bifrost the MB or the DS varity? Love my Mjolnir v1 as well but she's getting a bit of noise on the right channel but it's not so bad yet. The above pairing is quiet as heck though and still holding up strong! Let the mosfet warm up and see if you can discern any difference mate.

Personlly, I love the sound of the A2, the Jot is clean and clear and fast and the Mjolnir more so. I find the Asgard pairs well with my planars as they don't succumb to the bloomy mid range but injects a little more musicality in to the headphone without sounding to clinical or cold! The Bifrost is probably the last DAC I'll need but compared to my older Theta DAC's (Progeny/Prime II/Cobalt) it's probably a smidgen too boring and accurate...hahah. I need to hear a Schiit MB model DAC tbh!

May 15, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #2,668 of 2,741
The Mjolnir is sensitive to ground loops, especially on the single ended inputs. With my Bifrost Multibit, using optical input from my PC, the Mjolnir is dead silent all the way to max volume. If I connect my PC to the Bimbi via USB, I can hear some noise starting at 3/4 volume on the pot. Somehow tinkering with the RCA can make it better or worse. Not a concern tho, since I'm never using it nowhere near 1/2 volume on the pot.

I guess my Bimbi doesn't sound that exciting neither. Overall right down the middle with a hint of warmth in the bass and softness in the highs. But still quite dynamic, it punches when it needs to.

As for the Asgard 2, I find it warm and exciting as well, but so far the Mjolnir v1 is doing better in terms of tonality and soundstage. Must be the more nuanced proportion between micro and macro dynamics. Although the sound is overall pretty different, so I guess one's preference could go either way.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,670 of 2,741
Still a few Asgard 2 left, black b-stock closeout. Well done pure Class-A for $150 is madness!

Where can I find these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back