NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 18, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #2,611 of 2,741
I've had a friend's Bottlehead Crack for the past two weeks. I prefer the sound of my Asgard 2 with my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. The Crack improved the Senn HD 6XX a great deal, but still not up to Asgard/1990 level.

May 18, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,612 of 2,741
I like it but don't love it.
The sound quality is excellent, as is the "punch", and
the build quality.

But it lacks the dimensionality I'd like; and it doesn't offer a
really rich and full musical experience IMO.
There is, however, certainly enough goodness there to
make it easily worthwhile.

y previous amp, the Gustard H10, had those characteristics
but it blew up after a couple of years of moderate use.
Discontinued, its replacement k(H20) costs quite a bit more.
I was looking for the best sounding amp in a somewhat
lower price range, and settled on the Asgard 2. Liked it
enough to keep it, but I'm aware of its shortcomings every time
I play it.

May 18, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #2,613 of 2,741
Just got a asgard 2 and paired it with isine10 truly magical. The class a power shines with these little IEH's. The volume knob feela like kt has momentum. Absolutely amazing coming from my magni 3. The upgrade on build quality is gigantic imo.

Its hefty, the switches are more satisfying. The way they clicn reminds me of a old model m keyboard. Snapping into place. Really hard sound floor on low gain around 11 o'clock. I dont dare test its true power.

It starts off quick and the glow next to the chips reminds me of how much i enjoy my tubes in my saga. Best of all of the pair ials that i have a remote when listening and truly completes the experince for me.

And yeah it geta warm, thats just the class a amp drawback but it more than makes up for it in power capabilities.

Tl;Dr it warms my heart:ksc75smile:

May 18, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #2,614 of 2,741
Guess you didn't hold out! You'll enjoy the Asgard 2, I rather did mine when I had one.

I was thinking on the heels of the release of the new class A like amp and the back order of the asgard was like two months I was hoping for something magical... But it didn't happen... So pulled the trigger... I can't wait for it to get here... Got some dt1770, 6xx and he400i...waiting for some action.

May 19, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #2,615 of 2,741
The 1770 and 400i are definitely an ideal match. I prefer the 6XX on a different amp BUT that isn't to say the Asgard 2 is bad with them.

May 20, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #2,616 of 2,741
Quiet morning, listening to some Cinematic Orchestra with the 650's and the Asgard/Halide DAC HD...damn good pairing! Doing a great job TBH, I'll never part with my Asgard!

asgard2hd650.jpg

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,617 of 2,741
Does Asgard 2 gen 5 have any auto-standby when no signal is received? Or do I need to turn it off using switch in the back?

Jul 23, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,618 of 2,741
Asgard 2 doesn't specifically have any generation that I know of. It does not standby when no signal is received, you do have to turn it off. The DAC you can just leave on 24/7. Gen5 is the USB generation that the Schiit Dacs currently have.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,620 of 2,741
my inputs are failing. Ive ran my Asgard vertical because of space. These input rca look cheap. Anyone do a more reburst connector?

musicguy

How are your inputs failing? Are they loosened and have physical damage or are wearing out? You'll need an exact part match to have it replaced due to distance or you can use loose wire jacks and screw them into the casing. At that point it may be best to have Schiit perform the repair OR you can ask them for a part number if you feel you can do it yourself.

OR - just buy these. Desolder the current connector and wire/solder these. It won't be easy given the way the asgard comes apart. Just wire solder them in and then as you slide the inner casing in wiggle them out of the holes. Then, screw down without allowing the connector itself to spin.

https://www.amazon.com/VONOTO-Conne...ount+rca&qid=1565118270&s=electronics&sr=1-10

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #2,621 of 2,741
I run cardas, AQ, Wire world, Straight wire. inner connects. I have to play with them to get sound. I know its not the cables

musicguy.

I love my asgard. Its pure class AAAAA

Im not trolling. I just want my amp back

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,622 of 2,741
Doesn't matter how high quality they are, connectors fail. I'd try different interconnects to confirm. Also, I'd physically press on the connectors themselves to ensure they are fitting tightly and that there is no play.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2,624 of 2,741
Sounds like the connectors. You comfortable disassembling the Asgard and desoldering the RCA connector? Just use a solder wick and soak everything up, pull it off. Install wires on the board and solder it to the jacks I linked (correct polarity, of course) and then screw them into the case during the final part of assembly without allowing them to twist. Hardest part will be wiggling the casing around to get the connectors to come out. Don't make the wires too long and keep them tidy and you'll do fine.

This is the cheapest way to do it, it is this or contact Schiit for a repair.

Aug 7, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #2,625 of 2,741
So???

I big apology to Schiit Audio. It was my budget dac output. I have like 4 schiit amps. I have a small living set up to listen to music while my wife watches tv, she wants me sitting next to her on the couch, cant blame her!! :wink:. It was the dac. I moved the asgard to the main computer set up. Flawless. So big "My apologies to Schiit!!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back