NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Feb 11, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #2,086 of 2,741
I spent several hours today, jamming out with the Asgard 2, and I am very impressed. The A2 blows away the headphone outs, of most of my SS Receivers. Only my Pioneer Recieve's headphone SE out drives the AP'S as well as the A2. I feel the A2's drive my Alpha Prime's better than my portable Fiio E12's, but not by much. I highly recommend the Asgard 2, to anyone looking for a good solid state amp. Hope ever one has a great night jamming out.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,087 of 2,741
Some pics of my Asgard 2, in my porch.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #2,088 of 2,741
I am needing another amp and high on my list is the Asgard 2. Did they ever completely solve the transformer hum problem? Is the amp completely quiet now while just sitting there. Secondly are there any headphones the Asgard just really doesn't work well with and which headphones does it work well with. I'll mostly be using some HD800's and 650 plus a Beyer T1.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #2,089 of 2,741
  […] Is the amp completely quiet now while just sitting there. Secondly are there any headphones the Asgard just really doesn't work well with and which headphones does it work well with. I'll mostly be using some HD800's and 650 plus a Beyer T1.

Yes, the Asgard 2 is completely quiet. The noise floor of the first generation Lyr is much higher. I can’t talk about the Sennheiser headphones you mention, but the Beyerdynamic T1 sounds wonderful when connected to a Schiit Valhalla. Regardless of the gain setting the Asgard 2 feels a little thin and weak with the T1, but it works really excellent for example with the AKG K712 (62 Ω).

I think high impedance headphones like the T1 (600 Ω) are not the best choice for the Asgard 2.

Werner.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #2,090 of 2,741
I recently bought a Magni 2 Uber and whilst I was really impressed with it on the whole I found that with some tracks the treble/ upper mids (primarily cymbals and higher pitched guitars) became incredibly edgy and grating. 

It could of course have been something else in the chain so I'm not trying to imply that the M2U itself is edgy. I just found it that way with my gear.

My set up was PC->ODAC->M2U->Yamaha MT220 / FAD Pandora Hope VI. The MT220 was the worst offender (it does have some treble elevation) whereas the PH Hope VI is more balanced but was still problematic.  When swapping out the M2U for my O2 the tracks are far more tolerable.

I'm now contemplating buying an Asgard 2 (2nd time lucky) instead but not in a position to audition beforehand and worried I'll have a similar experience. Wondered if there was anyone here who has owned or spent time with both and experienced a similar thing with the M2U (or M2)? If so, how did you find the Asgard 2 by comparison?

Cheers for reading and thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #2,091 of 2,741
The quality or lack of quality of many recordings nowadays drives me crazy. You'll spend a small fortune (at least for me it is) on your home system and your portable setup and then you have to hope that the recording engineer/band knew what they were doing when they made the album/CD/music file you're listening to via said system. A great recording can make your entire system sound like it's been upgraded...a poorly made recording can leave you shaking your head. 

I haven't heard the Magni Uber 2, but I have found that the Asgard 2 (in two different systems) does a very nice job of passing along the signal feed to it without imparting much of its own signature. I think it's very neutral sounding. Obviously no product is perfect yet I haven't found a better headphone amp/preamp at or near the A2's price. Good luck!

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #2,092 of 2,741
  I recently bought a Magni 2 Uber and whilst I was really impressed with it on the whole I found that with some tracks the treble/ upper mids (primarily cymbals and higher pitched guitars) became incredibly edgy and grating. 

It could of course have been something else in the chain so I'm not trying to imply that the M2U itself is edgy. I just found it that way with my gear.

My set up was PC->ODAC->M2U->Yamaha MT220 / FAD Pandora Hope VI. The MT220 was the worst offender (it does have some treble elevation) whereas the PH Hope VI is more balanced but was still problematic.  When swapping out the M2U for my O2 the tracks are far more tolerable.

I'm now contemplating buying an Asgard 2 (2nd time lucky) instead but not in a position to audition beforehand and worried I'll have a similar experience. Wondered if there was anyone here who has owned or spent time with both and experienced a similar thing with the M2U (or M2)? If so, how did you find the Asgard 2 by comparison?

It's not likely to be the Magni as it has a flat FR and distortion levels far below our ability to perceive.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,093 of 2,741

I own both the Asgard 2 and the Magni 2U and I would be hard pressed to tell them apart in a blind testing. As mentioned above your source material is more likely to be at fault. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,094 of 2,741
  I own both the Asgard 2 and the Magni 2U and I would be hard pressed to tell them apart in a blind testing. As mentioned above your source material is more likely to be at fault. 

I own both an Asgard 2 and a Magni 1 and like yourself would be hard pressed to tell them apart in a blind test. In fact I've used an A/B switch with the and did not find any differences in treble or any other aspects of FR.
@jellofund if you listen to your setup, stop for a couple of minutes and listen at a different volume, you might be surprised at the outcome. Our perception of FR is influenced by volume.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,096 of 2,741
  The quality or lack of quality of many recordings nowadays drives me crazy. You'll spend a small fortune (at least for me it is) on your home system and your portable setup and then you have to hope that the recording engineer/band knew what they were doing when they made the album/CD/music file you're listening to via said system. A great recording can make your entire system sound like it's been upgraded...a poorly made recording can bring leave you shaking your head. 

Some things will never change.
redface.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #2,099 of 2,741
With both it and the original Magni as well, and it sounded surprisingly reasonable (with the usual disclaimer that my listening level may very well be half of what yours is, and it was at a meet, etc.)

Nice :) I usually drive mine with a single-ended tube amp, but got curious as to how they might sound with a single-ended solid state. I got lucky and found myself a Pass "Return of Zen" power amplifier yesterday (single-ended, single stage, class A MOSFET amplifier, 2 x 10 W @ 8 Ohms). I could have bought a used Asgard 2 instead, but the Zen amp was cheaper and is more powerful. Can hardly believe how clear the sound from this thing is, considering its rather high distortion levels. The distortion only manifests itself as a slight tubelike warmth. It's also completely silent when no signal is present, it's quite impossible to tell through the headphones if it's on or off. I haven't tried the Asgard 2, but I think the Zen could be a good alternative for people who need more power. You have to build it yourself, though, or buy it from somone who did.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #2,100 of 2,741
Nice :) I usually drive mine with a single-ended tube amp, but got curious as to how they might sound with a single-ended solid state. I got lucky and found myself a Pass "Return of Zen" power amplifier yesterday (single-ended, single stage, class A MOSFET amplifier, 2 x 10 W @ 8 Ohms). I could have bought a used Asgard 2 instead, but the Zen amp was cheaper and is more powerful. Can hardly believe how clear the sound from this thing is, considering its rather high distortion levels. The distortion only manifests itself as a slight tubelike warmth. It's also completely silent when no signal is present, it's quite impossible to tell through the headphones if it's on or off. I haven't tried the Asgard 2, but I think the Zen could be a good alternative for people who need more power. You have to build it yourself, though, or buy it from somone who did.

I wish I had a K1000. Sadly, by the time I got into the hobby they had already entered into the "used and high-priced" category. Still one of my favorite cans that I've heard at meets though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back