NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #1,846 of 2,741
  No clue. I think the Asgard 2 is excessive for the DT 990s I have, but it is flexible and will work with basically any headphone I get in the future so I like it. But if people have the money... 

I find the DT990 250ohm quite good on the A2. Haven't heard it on anything else, but I never found the treble to be too sharp. It might be different on lesser amplification.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #1,847 of 2,741
Not many people post about HD800 and Asgard 2

So... Ill try to help since when i was looking I didn't find much. 

First of all Asgard 2 is warm sounding the mids are pushed up a few db and the bass is a bit too, im 100% about this plz don't argue :p

Soo HD800's problem is that it has a 6k peak and the asgard 2 doesn't bring it down... Soooo if u don't like that then Asgard 2 isn't the best.
But If you like how the HD800 sounds then.... Yes the asgard 2 sounds really good. You get WAY more than enough volume dynamic is very good. and that's about all. 

I have heard many set ups and to be honest Asgard 2 Bifrost + HD800 probably gets you 90-95% there (009=100%)

just a small note HD800 sounds nice but its not something you can use for 5 hours because of the treble peaks(your ears gets tired), for that you should get LCDs.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #1,848 of 2,741
  Not many people post about HD800 and Asgard 2

So... Ill try to help since when i was looking I didn't find much. 

First of all Asgard 2 is warm sounding the mids are pushed up a few db and the bass is a bit too, im 100% about this plz don't argue :p

Soo HD800's problem is that it has a 6k peak and the asgard 2 doesn't bring it down... Soooo if u don't like that then Asgard 2 isn't the best.
But If you like how the HD800 sounds then.... Yes the asgard 2 sounds really good. You get WAY more than enough volume dynamic is very good. and that's about all. 

I have heard many set ups and to be honest Asgard 2 Bifrost + HD800 probably gets you 90-95% there (009=100%)

just a small note HD800 sounds nice but its not something you can use for 5 hours because of the treble peaks(your ears gets tired), for that you should get LCDs.

Sure we can disagree, I feel that the Asgard 2 is flat, no peaks. Some people will prefer the HD800's others the LCDs.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,849 of 2,741
Originally Posted by StanD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, one doesn't need 800 mW unless one wants to damage it as the max for the HD800 is 500 mW which is enough to burn one's ears off.

Good point about the maximum power, but the point is not to use all 800 mW to drive SPL above the point of hearing damage. The point is that the V2's design supplies more power than most amplifiers for the HD 800, which suggests its design is particularly suitable for the HD 800. With power output not a problem, the V2's design budget can theoretically be allocated elsewhere to achieve optimal performance at its price point. As opposed to, say, the LCD-3, for which V2 tops out at roughly 112 SPL, a figure topped by several other amps that are probably more suitable.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #1,850 of 2,741

Good point about the maximum power, but the point is not to use all 800 mW to drive SPL above the point of hearing damage. The point is that the V2's design supplies more power than most amplifiers for the HD 800, which suggests its design is particularly suitable for the HD 800. With power output not a problem, the V2's design budget can theoretically be allocated elsewhere to achieve optimal performance at its price point. As opposed to, say, the LCD-3, for which V2 tops out at roughly 112 SPL, a figure topped by several other amps that are probably more suitable.

Any power not used is wasted capability. Of course some margin is nice but how much. Then again there are a few headphones like the HE-6 where there can never be enough juice, however, not all that many people own these lightning rods. It is nice to have choices.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,851 of 2,741

Sure we can disagree, I feel that the Asgard 2 is flat, no peaks. Some people will prefer the HD800's others the LCDs.

Agreed. Schiit rates the Asgard 2 as 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db. I don't know if it's that accurate since we'd need independent measurements to verify that, but it certainly seems accurate to me :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,852 of 2,741
Agreed. Schiit rates the Asgard 2 as 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db. I don't know if it's that accurate since we'd need independent measurements to verify that, but it certainly seems accurate to me
smily_headphones1.gif

They also say that for the Lyr...

I feel that the Asgard 2 is warm after hearing Teac amps and Ak120. i Have actually heard many other amps but not at home so im not going to comment. Also I don't believe that amps makes that big of a difference. 

And the LCD and HD800 yea i know some people will like one but after having both, that's the conclusion i came up to. HD800 sounds nice and it wow's you but when your tired or want to relax LCD is better. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,854 of 2,741
Well http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/schiit-asgard-2-headphone-amplifier-and-bifrost-uber-dac-review/all-pages.html Says its flat, I guess its flat then lol.

it doesn't change my view about its pairing with HD800, If you like HD800's peak you will like the pairing. The Asgard 2 doesn't take away those peaks so if you don't like the peaks, Then maybe look for a tube amp, or eq. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,859 of 2,741
Yes those two (aune t1 and Asgard 2) i can't, neither does any of my friends .

but i can tell the difference between Lyr and Asgard 2.  Is the difference very big? No, but there is a difference. would I spent 500 dollars for that difference no... 

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,860 of 2,741
  Yes those two (aune t1 and Asgard 2) i can't, neither does any of my friends .

but i can tell the difference between Lyr and Asgard 2.  Is the difference very big? No, but there is a difference. would I spent 500 dollars for that difference no... 

They Lyr2 generates a touch more distortion, but two things.
1) You would have to turn it up to ear roasting levels to get there
2) It's still well below what a human being can perceive.
As fenderf4i said, "expectation bias." The mind plays terrible tricks on us. 
biggrin.gif
 I wouldn't get too wrapped up into it and rather spend my energy into enjoying the listening,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back