NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,742 of 2,741
I tried the HE-500 on my asgard 2 today.
And i hated them. They are so bright...
It was painfull listening to.
No i much prefer my Denon AH-D600 on this amp. :)

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,743 of 2,741
I tried the HE-500 on my asgard 2 today.
And i hated them. They are so bright...
It was painfull listening to.
No i much prefer my Denon AH-D600 on this amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use my HE-500's on my Asgard 2 and find them to sound perfectly fine. Is it that you don't like the HE-500's?

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,744 of 2,741
I'm somewhat tempted to try Audeze LCD-X with my Asgard 2, but I have two things scaring me off:

1) Weight.
2) Price.

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,745 of 2,741
  I'm somewhat tempted to try Audeze LCD-X with my Asgard 2, but I have two things scaring me off:

1) Weight.
2) Price.

There are some newer Planars out there that are lighter than the usual but the prices are still on the heavy side.The HE-560's are about to become available.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #1,746 of 2,741
  There are some newer Planars out there that are lighter than the usual but the prices are still on the heavy side.The HE-560's are about to become available.

and they're half the price of the LCD-X.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,747 of 2,741
I wanted to like them.
But they really hurt my ears listening to.
The sound was so bright it was really uncomfortable.
First time I have experienced anything this.
So I don't know what to say.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,748 of 2,741

and they're half the price of the LCD-X.

Yep, that's why I mentioned them. Early reviews seem good.

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,750 of 2,741
  I don't like it with my HE400 too. Just a little bit better than a K550 with a CMoy. Kind of regret getting it.

What source are you using? I use the HE-400's with the Asgard 2 a couple times a week and haven't found them to be a bright combination. Of course, a lot depends on the types of music played, the quality of the music files and as always, personal preferences. I think the A2 gives you back what you put into it, I don't find it to be overly warm nor bright, just sounds like a clean, well designed amp to me. Ya gotta find what works for you...if that's your CMoy amp then so be it...enjoying your music is the important thing. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,752 of 2,741

What source are you using? I use the HE-400's with the Asgard 2 a couple times a week and haven't found them to be a bright combination. Of course, a lot depends on the types of music played, the quality of the music files and as always, personal preferences. I think the A2 gives you back what you put into it, I don't find it to be overly warm nor bright, just sounds like a clean, well designed amp to me. Ya gotta find what works for you...if that's your CMoy amp then so be it...enjoying your music is the important thing. 

WAV lossless rip from CDs and played it with my X3. I listen to American pop, some Japanese and Chinese song, classic, and some live music. I just don't like the feeling because people told me that from K550 to HE400 would be a huge upgrade but I can't feel that much. The sound stage changes of course but other than that I am disappointed. I tried the velour pad but that makes the sound worse(the vocal is further). Maybe I should try other amps to see if I really like the HE400 or should pair A2 to other phones.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,753 of 2,741
Have you had a chance to hear the HE-400's with the Lyr? I don't know what most think, but I enjoy both the HE-400's and 500's more with the velour pads. You just have to find the combination that you enjoy most...may take a while but worth it in the end. Hell, I enjoy the 400 and 500's from the FiiO X3 & E12...that's a nice little amp and the combo sounds good to me. Good luck!

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,754 of 2,741
  Have you had a chance to hear the HE-400's with the Lyr? I don't know what most think, but I enjoy both the HE-400's and 500's more with the velour pads. You just have to find the combination that you enjoy most...may take a while but worth it in the end. Hell, I enjoy the 400 and 500's from the FiiO X3 & E12...that's a nice little amp and the combo sounds good to me. Good luck!

Hey, I think I just have a different taste. ha. I think I will buy a HD600 to see if I like it with Asgrad 2 better. I like the X3 too. I was choosing everything best in the price range(X3, HE400 and maybe Asgard 2) but when they combine they can't amazed me. Thanks for your input man.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,755 of 2,741
Kind of a quick question here.  Is anyone running a tube preamp to the Asgard 2 and would it make any sense to do so?  Just curiosity as I'm unsure about using a Valhalla 2 as a preamp.  If I do get it, I'll be preamping to my Audiosource Amp 100 and my pair of ARX A2rx-c speakers.  I've never heard the so called tube sound before but I've also not heard anything bad about it.  I'm certain something I listen to would be benefited from it.
I've got the Bifrost Uber + Magni at the moment and I'm considering the A2.  I'm also considering the Valhalla 2 to delve into my first tube amp.  My headphones are only HD 598s so upgrading the amp isn't really necessary, but I occasionally want to use IEMs and I could really use the low gain setting.  Until I get the funds for a HD 650 or more ideally a HD 700 I'm just toying around with the idea of a better amp now to power whatever I feel like playing with later and giving me a little more flexability in my choice of ear-wear.

So far I'm about 80% sure of getting the A2 but before I sneak some funds to have an equal sized stack I want to have my homework done.  As the other heads up my main listening is to video games (Diablo 3 & World of Warcraft - I already love the soundstage in Diablo 3.  It is greatly improved with the Uber over my onboard.  No I don't use the 3d effects for headphone or gaming functions from software or a sound card.) and after that I do a lot of rock, metal, rap, and classical.  I also enjoy youtube videos of guitarists, drummers, street artists, and singers.  It's a wide range of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back