NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,726 of 2,741
Citation? Or are you just plagiarizing?
tongue_smile.gif

It is well documented, but most people don't know about it. Have a listen to this, it has some good examples. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11736541/zep1.mp3

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,727 of 2,741
I listen to a lot of heavy music in addition to jazz and inde, etc. So one of the guys who'se very active on the Headfi "metal" thread and is a big collector posted that the newly remastered Zep I is a  signficant improvement. I poked online-here's the poop. Jimmy P has been threatening to remaster their entire catalog. As you guys stated, the previous remasters (I've got the 90's Anthology version) were pretty notoriously bad.

In somewhat of a cash grab (IMO), theyre' releasing some sort of box set or compilation for each studio album-with the remastered album and a second disc ( I think) of alternate takes or something to that affect. And, they've also released it as a HD download but not cheap.

The Headfier was so impressed he said it almost sounded like Jimmy may have re-recorded some guitar or remixed the album but he wasn't sure. He said the drums, bass all improved.

Maybe, if we're lucky (fans, that is) this is the real deal.

Right now-they've just released Zep I, II and III.

I'll probably pick up I myself as I love that album. It's been yeasrs since I've owned Led Z one, two or three (having their 90's remaster series and a bunch of live stuff).

That would be great. I thought Page did an awesome job with How the West Was Won, especially given that those live recordings probably weren't too good to begin with. That live album is my favorite to listen to Zeppelin, so I'd love to see what he could do with the studio albums.

And if he's willing, I'd imagine would bet that they would let him do it. It would give them a way to stimulate more sales. What Zeppelin fan wouldn't want to hear Page's remaster of those?

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #1,728 of 2,741
That would be great. I thought Page did an awesome job with How the West Was Won, especially given that those live recordings probably weren't too good to begin with. That live album is my favorite to listen to Zeppelin, so I'd love to see what he could do with the studio albums.

And if he's willing, I'd imagine would bet that they would let him do it. It would give them a way to stimulate more sales. What Zeppelin fan wouldn't want to hear Page's remaster of those?

I think I'll actually pick up the Zep I box set. I like HTWWW, too! Have you heard the BBC sessions. I guess some quibble about the SQ or prefer audience interaction. But, they were so raw and young. I think there were a couple of sessions-one right after I came out I think-it's all stuff from the first two albums and another set right before III. They play Stairway to Heaven to an audience who had never heard the song-it hadn't been release yet. Hard to imagine, right?  But, for any Zep fans who might want to hear them before the excesses of celebrity came and they were young and had some schiit to prove-just raw-I like it a lot.....maybe not audiophile SQ, but killer hard bluesy rock.

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,729 of 2,741

I think I'll actually pick up the Zep I box set. I like HTWWW, too! Have you heard the BBC sessions. I guess some quibble about the SQ or prefer audience interaction. But, they were so raw and young. I think there were a couple of sessions-one right after I came out I think-it's all stuff from the first two albums and another set right before III. They play Stairway to Heaven to an audience who had never heard the song-it hadn't been release yet. Hard to imagine, right?  But, for any Zep fans who might want to hear them before the excesses of celebrity came and they were young and had some schiit to prove-just raw-I like it a lot.....maybe not audiophile SQ, but killer hard bluesy rock.

Would be worth it!

I have the following versions of LZ I:
1980s Barry Diament Masters
1994 Box Set (Grey Box)
2008 Box Set (The Japanese Mini-LP Remasters - Though I have the US release, so they are NOT SHM-CDs, but the same Remaster as the SHM-CD Japanese Mini-LP Remasters)
200g Classic Records
180g Classic Records (someone else's 192/24 rip, I never owned the 180g Version)

and

2014 Deluxe Box Set - I haven't opened it, dont think I will. Prob will buy the standard LPs to listen to instead.
2014 Deluxe CD Version 
2014 Remaster HDTracks 96/24 Version

I gotta say, they new remasters (both the CD and HDTracks - when ripped, the CD actually has a few tracks with a higher DR than the HDTracks version) blow away all other versions. I feel like the HDTracks version is the best sounding of the two, but the difference between the CD and HD is slight, slight enough that the difference could be in my head.

Next up would be the 2008 Remasters, which are awesome as well, they just have a tad bit noise and tad bit less detail than the 2014s. The Classic Records 200g/180g are right up here too: they dont have quite the detail or dynamic range as the 2014 masters, but they are definitely awesome, and have a certain LP charm that puts them on par with the 2008 Remasters.

From here, I prefer the Diament Masters, which have the widest dynamic range, but definitely sound like their age: you can tell they are mastered well, but limited to the tech of the time. The 1994 version is not far behind, cleaner than the Diament Masters, but also a lil bit colder.

Long story, still long: the 2014 is def the best sounding Zep yet

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,730 of 2,741

sweet. Except, I went out and bought CD versions of Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti last year when I found them a good price at Best Buys. Dang! I should have waited.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,731 of 2,741

Yeah. I like the BBC sessions. Good stuff :)

Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to get some of the 2014 remasters :)

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,732 of 2,741

I'm going crazy waiting for my Asgard 2 and Modi USB. It has been well over a year since owning any amplifier or DAC, and longer than I can remember for owning desktop versions! Any advice for bracing against the wonder? Or any music material recommended to be the first song through? HD600 is my weapon of choice.

The Royal Scam & Aja by Steely Dan.  There aren't too many better sounding/recorded albums out there.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,733 of 2,741
That's a couple very nice choices, I'd add Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop. If you like Jazz its a great album and they did a terrific job recording it. Good luck!

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,735 of 2,741
It was recommended to me by an another member here (thank you!) and I've probably played it completely through 20-30 times since. I primarily listen to it through speakers and the back wall just disappears with instruments spread across the room (wide stage with great depth). I bought my copy from HDtracks in 24.88, it sounds incredible but not having heard the regular CD version I can't say if the 24 bit version is in fact better.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,736 of 2,741
The Royal Scam & Aja by Steely Dan.  There aren't too many better sounding/recorded albums out there.

Excellent recommendation! I have heard many good things about Steely Dan. I am supposed to receive my Asgard 2 in three to five days! Very excited to demo all of this material.

That's a couple very nice choices, I'd add Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop. If you like Jazz its a great album and they did a terrific job recording it. Good luck!

I do love some Jazz! Wonderful addition to the collection. Some say it is the best recorded Jazz album of the century? O_O I think I will set up the Asgard 2 as a preamp for my studio monitors and see if I can get the same sense of space and also a wall of instruments! The preamp function is my favourite addition to the Asgard 2. The convenience it supplies to a computer-based system is phenomenal. I hope my lowly Mackie MR8MK2s can handle it!

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,737 of 2,741

Excellent recommendation! I have heard many good things about Steely Dan. I am supposed to receive my Asgard 2 in three to five days! Very excited to demo all of this material.

I do love some Jazz! Wonderful addition to the collection. Some say it is the best recorded Jazz album of the century? O_O I think I will set up the Asgard 2 as a preamp for my studio monitors and see if I can get the same sense of space and also a wall of instruments! The preamp function is my favourite addition to the Asgard 2. The convenience it supplies to a computer-based system is phenomenal. I hope my lowly Mackie MR8MK2s can handle it!

I'm using the Asgard 2 as a preamp (set to Low Gain) with the Gungnir right now in my office. To my ears to sounds great as a single source preamp. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,739 of 2,741
Can you guys recommend some cool-looking spikes / rubber feet to place on the bottom of my amp?

"Cool looking"? Not especially. Effective at providing lots of air space around warm Schiit? Yep. Felt tipped rubber corks.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,740 of 2,741

Yes, there's always the compulsory Kind of Blue, Wish You Were Here or Darkside.  I like the recent Beatles remasters. I used Stephen Wilson's Raven Refused to Sing to audition some gear recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back