NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,711 of 2,741
I'm going crazy waiting for my Asgard 2 and Modi USB. It has been well over a year since owning any amplifier or DAC, and longer than I can remember for owning desktop versions! Any advice for bracing against the wonder? Or any music material recommended to be the first song through? HD600 is my weapon of choice.

When not sure, put some Pink Floyd. I always do.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #1,714 of 2,741
When not sure, put some Pink Floyd. I always do.

I just got a wonderful 24bit/196k copy of The Dark Side of the Moon. I think that will do the trick! :D Thank you for the recommendation!

First song has to be Led Zeppelin...

Or should I emigrate to the lands of Valhalla and attempt to capture the Gods' hammer? It fits quite well with the Schiity theme! Very tempting...

Has anyone been able to find a Schitty cure to upgraditis? Has an aural state of enlightenment been achieved through its power?

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #1,715 of 2,741
First song.....Led Zeppelin

Have you guys heard the Page's new remaster of I-III-I've heard from a fellow headfier the remaster of Zep-1 is really good-an improvement from earlier masters.....?

Jun 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,716 of 2,741
Have you guys heard the Page's new remaster of I-III-I've heard from a fellow headfier the remaster of Zep-1 is really good-an improvement from earlier masters.....?

Is there a new one? So far all of them were pretty bad.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,718 of 2,741
  There's only so much you can do with 40-yr old source tapes.

I have much older and much better sounding recordings... So I guess they were pretty bad to start with.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,720 of 2,741
  That, or they weren't properly stored to prevent degradation. 

Just take "Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby", for example. It's a musical and technical marvel, recorded live in far 1961.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,721 of 2,741
I have much older and much better sounding recordings... So I guess they were pretty bad to start with.

I think that's probably the case. Some of the guitar in Zeppelin's recordings sounds like the original recording were bad.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,722 of 2,741

There's only so much you can do with 40-yr old source tapes.

And plagiarized music 
o2smile.gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,724 of 2,741
I think that's probably the case. Some of the guitar in Zeppelin's recordings sounds like the original recording were bad.

I know well, I've burned my KEF's twitter with it once - there's so much distortion.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,725 of 2,741
Citation? Or are you just plagiarizing?
tongue_smile.gif

I listen to a lot of heavy music in addition to jazz and inde, etc. So one of the guys who'se very active on the Headfi "metal" thread and is a big collector posted that the newly remastered Zep I is a  signficant improvement. I poked online-here's the poop. Jimmy P has been threatening to remaster their entire catalog. As you guys stated, the previous remasters (I've got the 90's Anthology version) were pretty notoriously bad.

In somewhat of a cash grab (IMO), theyre' releasing some sort of box set or compilation for each studio album-with the remastered album and a second disc ( I think) of alternate takes or something to that affect. And, they've also released it as a HD download but not cheap.

The Headfier was so impressed he said it almost sounded like Jimmy may have re-recorded some guitar or remixed the album but he wasn't sure. He said the drums, bass all improved.

Maybe, if we're lucky (fans, that is) this is the real deal.

Right now-they've just released Zep I, II and III.

I'll probably pick up I myself as I love that album. It's been yeasrs since I've owned Led Z one, two or three (having their 90's remaster series and a bunch of live stuff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back