NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Feb 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,186 of 2,741
  Their aluminum products being colored to look aluminum makes more sense to me than being colored to look black.  

Everyone has different preferences and I respect that.  Some people prefer silver and some black.  Since all my other audio equipment is black anodized, I like to change my Schiit gear to black as well so it matches.  In any case, the beauty of anodization vs. paint is that it's an oxidation layer that's actually part of the aluminum.  As such, it retains the aluminum look and texture such that the only difference you get is the color of the dye that's added.  In fact, most silver gear is actually clear anodized (no dye added) since anodizing actually hardens the surface and therefore makes it more scratch resistant.  BTW, you might notice that the majority of audio equipment made today with aluminum is actually black anodized.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,188 of 2,741
Do you need to have the Asgard 2 turned on to use the volume knob for your speakers?

I've read that the Lyr need to be on for this to happen but it was mentioned that it isn't the same for solid state amps.

Can anyone confirm/deny please?

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,189 of 2,741
  Do you need to have the Asgard 2 turned on to use the volume knob for your speakers?

I've read that the Lyr need to be on for this to happen but it was mentioned that it isn't the same for solid state amps.

Can anyone confirm/deny please?

You mean to use the pre-amp outs? Yes it does have to be on. But you shouldnt be powering speakers directly from it, its a pre-amp out which is designed to go into an amp that would power the speakers.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,190 of 2,741

You mean to use the pre-amp outs? Yes it does have to be on. But you shouldnt be powering speakers directly from it, its a pre-amp out which is designed to go into an amp that would power the speakers.

The whole point of the pre-amp outputs were to hook up powered studio monitors?

Edit - Directly from the Asgard 2 product page "In addition, the preamp outputs can easily be connected to powered speakers, for a complete desktop system."

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,191 of 2,741
  The whole point of the pre-amp outputs were to hook up powered studio monitors?

Edit - Directly from the Asgard 2 product page "In addition, the preamp outputs can easily be connected to powered speakers, for a complete desktop system."

Which have the amps built into them. So my statement was correct. The post I quoted didnt mention powered speakers so I wanted to make sure they werent thinking of powering un-amplified speakers from the Asgard 2.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,192 of 2,741
But will coloring it black open the soundstage some more, increase details and warm the mids? 
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,196 of 2,741
  But will coloring it black open the soundstage some more, increase details and warm the mids? 
tongue.gif

Yes, it does open the soundstage and increase details but actually darkens the mids.  
tongue.gif

Perhaps if they offer pinstripes that might cure the darkened mids. Now what color? Or a pinwheel to hypnotize the suggestible listener.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,197 of 2,741

Perhaps if they offer pinstripes that might cure the darkened mids. Now what color? Or a pinwheel to hypnotize the suggestible listener.

Or they can offer this style...

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,198 of 2,741

Or they can offer this style...

Definitely grainy. This just goes to show that there is some Schiit to this.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,199 of 2,741
  Well it's definitely personal preference, but I'm old school and love all the silver / aluminum  finish of older gear I grew up with.

I could care less about color. I can paint the walls, buy some art for the walls.

For a $250 A-2 purchase-my only interest is-"how does this schiit sound" not interior room decoration.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,200 of 2,741
  Well it's definitely personal preference, but I'm old school and love all the silver / aluminum  finish of older gear I grew up with.

I could care less about color. I can paint the walls, buy some art for the walls.

For a $250 A-2 purchase-my only interest is-"how does this schiit sound" not interior room decoration.

So you don't care if it looks like Schiit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back