NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Sep 25, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,566 of 2,741
Thanks for the tips! Do you think the Asgard has clearer sound and tha Val more distorted tubey sound? I haven't compared a ss and tube amp so I don't really know what should I pay attention to when listening. What are some main hearable differences?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #2,567 of 2,741
I’ve only had the Asgard for about a week so I’m still getting to know its sound, but..

I would not describe the Asgard as clearer sounding, And I would not describe the Valhalla 2 as “tubey” sounding either. The Asgard is definitely faster than the Valhalla so on really busy/fast tracks the Asgard is superior in terms of separation, instrumentation, and avoiding bloat. This is really noticeable to me when listening to Metal or songs with lots of competing sounds. But in regards to clarity and overall detail/resolution I think the Valhalla with the EH 6CG7 tunes is the winner.

I plan to do a blind A/B test tonight (to avoid preconceived biases) with the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 to really hone in on the specific differences between the two and will be happy to report back with my findings.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #2,568 of 2,741
Hm interesting.. Do you say that the valhalla can be as clear sounding as a ss amp?
I'm looking forward for your report! And pls tell if it is worth owning both amps cuz my sister looks for an amp for her HD650 and we are still looking for one:)

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #2,569 of 2,741
Hm interesting.. Do you say that the valhalla can be as clear sounding as a ss amp?
I'm looking forward for your report! And pls tell if it is worth owning both amps cuz my sister looks for an amp for her HD650 and we are still looking for one:)

What do you mean by clear? Can you define that a little better. Detail retrieval? Resolution? Forwardness of the highs? Absence of plankton? Or what specific aspect/quality of the Valhalla are you trying to improve or avoid?

Short answer though I would say no it’s not worth owning both amps as they are similar/comparable. A frequent poster of another forum named PHC1 did a comparison of the Asgard2/Valhalla2 that’s great in regards to this. You could google it if you haven’t read it already.

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #2,570 of 2,741
What do you mean by clear? Can you define that a little better. Detail retrieval? Resolution? Forwardness of the highs? Absence of plankton? Or what specific aspect/quality of the Valhalla are you trying to improve or avoid?

Short answer though I would say no it’s not worth owning both amps as they are similar/comparable. A frequent poster of another forum named PHC1 did a comparison of the Asgard2/Valhalla2 that’s great in regards to this. You could google it if you haven’t read it already.
I think resolution and forwardness of highs. They seem to me a bit grimy and not so defined i.e. when i hear a violin I want to hear that one tone like cutting thinly the air. I'm not sure if tha Val needs some more burn in or it is the tubes but I don't get those clear separations, that's why I thought about trying a ss amp.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2,571 of 2,741
I think resolution and forwardness of highs. They seem to me a bit grimy and not so defined i.e. when i hear a violin I want to hear that one tone like cutting thinly the air. I'm not sure if tha Val needs some more burn in or it is the tubes but I don't get those clear separations, that's why I thought about trying a ss amp.

It doesn’t seem like the Valhalla is the cause of this problem as I have found the Val to have very good detail and resolution (when I’m listening with my Focal Elear HPs. I think you said you are using the HD 600/650, have you had the chance to test/sample any other headphones with the Valhalla? I notice a drastic decrease in overall clarity, resolution, and presence of highs when I switch to my HD 6xx from the Elear which leads me to respond that the amp itself is not lacking in clarity/quality of highs by any means.
I did get the chance to do the AB testing with Asgard 2 vs Valhalla 2 (w/ EH 6CG7 Gold tubes) and I will report those findings tonight when I’m hole from work. But short answer, no the Asgard didn’t have better/clearer/more detailed highs. It didn’t have worse highs either. Very even competition.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #2,572 of 2,741
After some A/B blind testing with the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2, I found that I preferred the the Valhalla on two songs, the Asgard on one song, and the forth song was mostly a wash. I think the Valhalla had more strengths/pros overall than the Asgard. Clarity and resolution the Valhalla is the winner here, but the Asgard has more forwardness of highs. I say they are more forward cause the Asgard plays them AT you a little more where as the Valhalla plays them with more ambiance/environment. This isn't to say that the Valhalla had a bigger stage overall. A couple songs I felt the Valhalla had better stage and a couple in favor of the Asgard. The Valhalla is more linear/balanced sounding, with the exception of one song (Jjos - Menorca Island) in which the Asgard sounded more linear, relaxed, and enjoyable. The Valhalla 2 was punchier which surprised me, but then again I would definitely describe the EH 6CG7 tubes I was using as punchy.

Lordanis what DAC are you using? That's one thing I don't think you mentioned. The DAC may play a big part in the high clarity that you are looking for. For instance I have a Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber, the Uber provides a very noticeable increase in presence and detail of highs, the non-uber has a much more mid-forward signature to my ears (and also less bass).

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #2,573 of 2,741
After some A/B blind testing with the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2, I found that I preferred the the Valhalla on two songs, the Asgard on one song, and the forth song was mostly a wash. I think the Valhalla had more strengths/pros overall than the Asgard. Clarity and resolution the Valhalla is the winner here, but the Asgard has more forwardness of highs. I say they are more forward cause the Asgard plays them AT you a little more where as the Valhalla plays them with more ambiance/environment. This isn't to say that the Valhalla had a bigger stage overall. A couple songs I felt the Valhalla had better stage and a couple in favor of the Asgard. The Valhalla is more linear/balanced sounding, with the exception of one song (Jjos - Menorca Island) in which the Asgard sounded more linear, relaxed, and enjoyable. The Valhalla 2 was punchier which surprised me, but then again I would definitely describe the EH 6CG7 tubes I was using as punchy.

Lordanis what DAC are you using? That's one thing I don't think you mentioned. The DAC may play a big part in the high clarity that you are looking for. For instance I have a Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber, the Uber provides a very noticeable increase in presence and detail of highs, the non-uber has a much more mid-forward signature to my ears (and also less bass).
Thank you for your A/B testing report! As I undestand the result is similar to the comparison that you mentioned above and we decided to go with the Asgard 2 for my sister because they are so similar but the Asg a bit cheaper. I found out yesterday that the Valhalla performes perfectly. I tryed it with the HD650 and my speakers and I found out that on those two everything was totally fine, so EQ-ing will be my solution for the HD600.

I'm totally new to tube rolling. I'm interested in the EH 6CG7 tubes. I found replicas on the internet, so my question is, do you have replicas or genuine ones? And how does it work, do I order 2 big and 2 small ones? I don't even know what's the difference between them only that they are left and right channel.

Thanks for the great tips and support!:)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #2,574 of 2,741
Thank you for your A/B testing report! As I undestand the result is similar to the comparison that you mentioned above and we decided to go with the Asgard 2 for my sister because they are so similar but the Asg a bit cheaper. I found out yesterday that the Valhalla performes perfectly. I tryed it with the HD650 and my speakers and I found out that on those two everything was totally fine, so EQ-ing will be my solution for the HD600.

I'm totally new to tube rolling. I'm interested in the EH 6CG7 tubes. I found replicas on the internet, so my question is, do you have replicas or genuine ones? And how does it work, do I order 2 big and 2 small ones? I don't even know what's the difference between them only that they are left and right channel.

Thanks for the great tips and support!:)

I ordered mine from TubeDepot. Not sure what replicas you speak of. The big tubes are the power tubes, you won't be replacing those. The small tubes are the pre-amp tubes, those are the ones you can change to alter the sound signature.
EDIT* Also you will want to get 'matched' tubes from wherever you order them.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #2,575 of 2,741
Hello fellow Asgard owners. I just got mine today and paired it to a mimby i’ve had for a month or so and I already love it. Its the best amp I ha e by far with my Audeze LCD2C. Soundstage is much bigger than magni 3. Treble is detailed and smooth and vocals come though better as well. Everything comes through great and I get no treble fatigue listening to higher volumes. Its got this quality to it that sucks me in like no other setup i have. Very pleased with it. Using it with an ebtech hum x so no crackle or humm. Dead silence whether high or low gain. Schiit did great with this.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #2,576 of 2,741
Hello fellow Asgard owners. I just got mine today and paired it to a mimby i’ve had for a month or so and I already love it. Its the best amp I ha e by far with my Audeze LCD2C. Soundstage is much bigger than magni 3. Treble is detailed and smooth and vocals come though better as well. Everything comes through great and I get no treble fatigue listening to higher volumes. Its got this quality to it that sucks me in like no other setup i have. Very pleased with it. Using it with an ebtech hum x so no crackle or humm. Dead silence whether high or low gain. Schiit did great with this.
Welcome to the club. I’d be interested to hear any other comparisons you might have to the Magni 3. I’ve had an Asgard 2 for several years but have been curious about the Magni 3 as most comparisons I’ve read have either suggested that the Magni 3 is at least equal to, if not superior to the A2.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #2,577 of 2,741
Welcome to the club. I’d be interested to hear any other comparisons you might have to the Magni 3. I’ve had an Asgard 2 for several years but have been curious about the Magni 3 as most comparisons I’ve read have either suggested that the Magni 3 is at least equal to, if not superior to the A2.

Thanks for the welcome! I’m fairly treble sensitive so I don’t like any products that boost it like beyerdynamic headphones , or bright amps. I fing the magni 3 to be a bright amp so I dont like it at all stock. I bought a loki for it and have to jack the treble down to 10:30-11:00 to make it listenable. The asgard to my ears is on a different level. I even sent my magni 3 back to schiit thinking something was wrong with it besides the bad volume pot i had. They said its was working fine except the volume pot so its just not my taste i gues. The magni 3 is on top of you in its presentation vs the asgard 2 having a pushed back sound stage more like you are listening to a 2 channel system in a dedicated room. Or the difference between open back headphones(asgard) vs closed back (magni 3). Its a good amp for $99 though. not at all a bad purchase at that price. I would never pay $250 for it after owning one though. I’d pay more than $250 for the asgard 2

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,579 of 2,741

I've been using a Magni 3 for several months and received an Asgard 2 a few days ago. Both are awesome value in their respective price ranges. The Asgard is easily worth the extra cost; smoother, richer, more detailed. I don't see any parameter in which the Magni wins. I'm wondering if the people who like the Magni better have treble deficient headphones (e.g Senn 650) and like the more aggressive highs of the Magni?

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,580 of 2,741
I've been using a Magni 3 for several months and received an Asgard 2 a few days ago. Both are awesome value in their respective price ranges. The Asgard is easily worth the extra cost; smoother, richer, more detailed. I don't see any parameter in which the Magni wins. I'm wondering if the people who like the Magni better have treble deficient headphones (e.g Senn 650) and like the more aggressive highs of the Magni?
Hi,
What headphones are you using with the A2 may I ask? I had an early batched A2, to my ear its mids was not as good as the Magni2u and the Magni3. Very "stiff" mids. Lacking of nuance and detail compared to 2 other amps. I like the Asgard1 though. It was warm and sweet.
I used the A2 for 3 years and sold it right after getting the M3. Maybe Schiit silently improved the A2. I didn't miss the A2 at all but i missed the A1 very much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back