NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
May 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #2,147 of 2,741
I found another reason to prefer my Asgard 2 to Vali. As we get into summer, I've been feeling the heat coming off the Asgard more and more. I decided to try to switch to the Vali for a while, as it doesn't give off as much heat. However, I've been listening to more FLAC lately. And I find that on modern albums they are often too loud on the Vali. If I lower the volume below 9 o'clock, I get channel imbalance. I get no such channel imbalance on the Asgard, and even if I did, I could use the gain switch to use a higher volume control position.

JRiver has volume leveling as an option which reduces loudness, but I find it makes the music sound muffled.

I wish there was a program for FLAC like MP3Gain for MP3s.

May 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,148 of 2,741
  I found another reason to prefer my Asgard 2 to Vali. As we get into summer, I've been feeling the heat coming off the Asgard more and more. I decided to try to switch to the Vali for a while, as it doesn't give off as much heat. However, I've been listening to more FLAC lately. And I find that on modern albums they are often too loud on the Vali. If I lower the volume below 9 o'clock, I get channel imbalance. I get no such channel imbalance on the Asgard, and even if I did, I could use the gain switch to use a higher volume control position.

JRiver has volume leveling as an option which reduces loudness, but I find it makes the music sound muffled.

I wish there was a program for FLAC like MP3Gain for MP3s.

Would applying replay gain not do what you are referring to with MP3Gain? I tag all of my files, mp3 flac, whatever, with replay gain in foobar.

May 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,149 of 2,741

Would applying replay gain not do what you are referring to with MP3Gain? I tag all of my files, mp3 flac, whatever, with replay gain in foobar.

I've never cared for Foobar too much. Is there a guide somewhere on how to apply replay gain with it? With MP3Gain, I adjust MP3 files to 92db. Is there a way to do the same thing on FLAC files with Foobar?

May 18, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,150 of 2,741

I've never cared for Foobar too much. Is there a guide somewhere on how to apply replay gain with it? With MP3Gain, I adjust MP3 files to 92db. Is there a way to do the same thing on FLAC files with Foobar?

Add the files to the main window, select them all, right click, ReplayGain, select your mode (I use album by tag), ok. Let it analize, then apply.

http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar2000/Replaygain.php

This is the only reason I use Foobar, I use MusicBee for my player (too broke to buy JRiver).

It seems that MP3Gain is an implementation or ReplayGain with some advantages and disadvantages.

May 18, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,151 of 2,741
  Add the files to the main window, select them all, right click, ReplayGain, select your mode (I use album by tag), ok. Let it analize, then apply.

http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar2000/Replaygain.php

This is the only reason I use Foobar, I use MusicBee for my player (too broke to buy JRiver).

It seems that MP3Gain is an implementation or ReplayGain with some advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

May 26, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,153 of 2,741
Not this year, according to Jason.

May 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #2,154 of 2,741
Damn 
frown.gif

May 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #2,157 of 2,741
What is it that you find lacking in the sound quality of the Asgard 2? What are you using as your source? 

May 27, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,159 of 2,741

Users who are viewing this thread

Back