New Releases 2013 - No Records Released Before 2013
Feb 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #46 of 297
Quote:

I've been really slammed at work, so I'm just catching up on some listening now.  I *love* this album.  These guys are passionate and having fun--and it's fun picking out out everything they steal.  You'd think this would be an unlistenable pastiche of the 60's and 70's, but these guys are like civet cats--half digesting the music and excreting a better version.
smily_headphones1.gif
  It's worth keeping an eye on JAGJAGUWAR, their label--since they also released the superb Sharon Van Etten album, Tramp, last year. 

Thanks for the info. I will for certain check out up on their label and particular the release you mentioned.

I can only agree that these two guys actually manages to pull it off extremely well, an experiment that very easily could have turned into a complete disaster, but that just didn't happen. They just show great confidence combined with excellent song writing skills. Balancing it all in a fun way by skillfully juggling a selection of sounds/music from the 60/70's around without dropping their balls. 

I'm still listening, trying to figure out everything that they have "stolen".

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #48 of 297
Would this thread be a good place to ask what new albums are coming out this year? Any genre, any artist - would like to see what you all are looking forward to. Hoping to discover a new artist and/or album.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #49 of 297
Quote:
Would this thread be a good place to ask what new albums are coming out this year? Any genre, any artist - would like to see what you all are looking forward to. Hoping to discover a new artist and/or album.
wink.gif

It is a great thread, maybe the best one on HF these days, surely it is up to all of us to introduce any kind of music/genre/artist, released in the year of 2013 and then we can take it from there or leave it 
L3000.gif
 It is all about fun/engagement and sharing what is the most important things in life - music and being open minded.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #50 of 297
New Puscifer EP on Feb. 19th. Includes a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. Can't wait for that.

New 'How to Destroy Angels', new David Bowie...

Screw it.

Killswitch Engage
The Knife
Stone Sour
Daft Punk
Animals as Leaders
Black Keys
Dream Theatre

Maybe even new Tool. Some of these are rumors, some are confirmed. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #52 of 297
Looking forward to these two that are on the way this month:

Out February 5th...

February 19th...

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #53 of 297
Quote:
Sooo technically it's a few weeks until it's released, but my answer is not going to change, so just pretend that I've posted this later.

EDIT: It seams like going out in style wasn't very long ago, dang those murphys keep busy! (also nice choice).

Definitely enjoyed listening to this.  Got it the other day.  They have talent

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #55 of 297
images

New album by Veronica Falls "Waiting For Something". It should be official released in a few days. Breezy British power pop. If bands like Allo Darlin', Teenage Fanclub etc. rings a bell then this one may be worth a listen. I like it, not a masterpiece, but two handfuls of very catchy tunes/lyrics and a sound that very much expands my memory back in time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/31/veronica-falls-waiting-something-review

Free stream here
http://pitchfork.com/advance/18-waiting-for-something-to-happen/

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #56 of 297
images

Here's an album that will be released around Feb. 26th. By a Swedish indie synth/pop duo, The Embassy, album is titled "Sweet Sensation". Their third album since 2002.

This is the pop sound of the 80's. the sound of a a dry drum machine, 80's guitars. Pet Shop Boys meets New Order and we have a Swedish Pop delight. The Swedes have always have a knack for writing great pop tunes, I'll give them that..

Here's the single "Related Artist" from the album, a pre-release teaser. I really love the simplistic, alternative-country, bouncing and catchy bass line, which drives the whole song towards a summer like feel. Gives me a very positive vibe and I know summer is just around the corner. I just can't seem to get the bass line out of my head, it is a true pop song but yet still very underground and it can't IMO not really be done much better.

Pure indie 80's summer pop with a touch of new wave sound, all presented to us here in 2013 and all coming from Sweden.

Right here:
http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/new-music/blog/listen-the-embassy-related-artist-116207

http://www.theembassy.info/

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #57 of 297
Quote:

Out February 5th...

I'm quoting my own post because the new Eels is out today. I'm listening to it on MOG.

Here are a couple reviews:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/eels-wonderful-glorious,92015/?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/167963-eels-wonderful-glorious/

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #58 of 297
Quote:

I'm quoting my own post because the new Eels is out today. I'm listening to it on MOG.

I've been listening to it too.  Twenty-six tracks on the MOG release (!)  At about half way through, the music isn't bad, but the songs seem very repetitive.  This would be good to put on the speakers while I'm doing other things--no worries about where one song ends and another begins. Gravelly-voiced downbeat poetry backed with some stripped-down music.  Listen late at night, with some bourbon.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #59 of 297
Quote:

I've been listening to it too.  Twenty-six tracks on the MOG release (!)  At about half way through, the music isn't bad, but the songs seem very repetitive.  This would be good to put on the speakers while I'm doing other things--no worries about where one song ends and another begins. Gravelly-voiced downbeat poetry backed with some stripped-down music.  Listen late at night, with some bourbon.

It's funny. At the end of the "regular" album part, you'll hear what sounds like a commercial coming on. It's like a female announcer announcing the bonus tracks. Then the bonus tracks come on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back