New Releases 2013 - No Records Released Before 2013
Jan 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 297
Well, it's Tuesday, so a bunch of new releases including Yo La Tengo's album are out.

I'd like to bring this one to your attention:

Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold (2013)

I'm not sure why, but his one has been available on Spotify for a few weeks. I believe the official release date is today, and now it's on MOG too.

The sound here is New York slacker, stoner, indie guitar rock. It may remind some folks of something like The Strokes.

Check it out! 
k701smile.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #17 of 297
@Parquect Quarts - Light Up Gold. Thanks Stratocasterman for bringing this one up.  Absolutely agree, great album. A review from a site that I won't mention was posted yesterday but I think the album was actually released last year. At least I have had it for a while but I hadn't really found the time to listen to it, until I saw your post and I'll be hearing it again for sure :)  http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17405-light-up-gold/ and that's the bad review!

Another one coming up soon. He used to create these beautiful sounds from his guitar when he once upon a time was member of a band named the Smiths but somehow he got sidetracked and lost his jangle, but he may have found his way back...doing whatever he was so great at and "still iss" 

url

http://www.johnnymarrplaysguitar.com/2013/01/video-debut-of-the-new-single-upstarts/

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 297
Thanks for the info, JupiterKnight. I was wondering, because I heard that Parquet Courts record in 2012, but then it was on the new releases list today and some new reviews of it came out. I think it got picked up and released on a new label.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #19 of 297
I'm still going through some of the new releases - basically just to see what's out there. (Sometimes waaaay out there.) 
smile.gif
 Here's another new one:

Pantha du Prince - Elements Of Light (2013)

Here's a description I copied from Amazon:
[size=small]Elements of Light[/size][size=small] is a logical continuation of Pantha Du Prince's previous work, but the music does in no way constitute a walk down beaten paths. The result of this unusual project is an original piece, crafted in the intersection between electronic elements and classical composition. While maintaining a strict focus on the resonating sound of bells and percussion, [/size][size=small]Elements of Light[/size][size=small] offers a deep and broad range of sounds, all driven by a swelling and detumescing bass drum.[/size]

And that's a fair description. If you think you may like the sound of electronica mixed with a lot of bells, then try this release.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 297
Quote:
I'm still going through some of the new releases - basically just to see what's out there. (Sometimes waaaay out there.) 
smile.gif
 Here's another new one:

Pantha du Prince - Elements Of Light (2013)

Here's a description I copied from Amazon:
[size=small]Elements of Light[/size][size=small] is a logical continuation of Pantha Du Prince's previous work, but the music does in no way constitute a walk down beaten paths. The result of this unusual project is an original piece, crafted in the intersection between electronic elements and classical composition. While maintaining a strict focus on the resonating sound of bells and percussion, [/size][size=small]Elements of Light[/size][size=small] offers a deep and broad range of sounds, all driven by a swelling and detumescing bass drum.[/size]

And that's a fair description. If you think you may like the sound of electronica mixed with a lot of bells, then try this release.

There's certainly a lot of bell's involved, and almost more ambient sounding album than electronica, just my initial take.  But a very pleasing late night listening session through headphones. I'm also almost sure that Hendrik Weber is more Swedish than German.. Just a guess..

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 297
url

Debut album by Indians. Will be released on Jan. 28/29th. Indians are only the second Danish band to have an album released with 4AD,

Efterklang was the first Danish band released by 4AD  so anyone acquainted with their musical universe may have an interest in this release!

This is the sound of Scandinavian melancholy, the feel of the winter darkness that embraces/haunts the sound landscape that Soren Lykke Juul extremely well manages to present on his first album.

Indians are actually "just" a one man band, although it certainly doesn't sound this way, but Soren Juul manages through his unique musical talent and song writing skills to capture me and present a fuller and indeed a very vivid picture.

Genre wise, for those who may be interested and have no clue what I talking about. I will briefly say it is a mixture of dream pop/electronica/acoustic music and most likely a few more sub-genres that I forgot about.

So far this album is within it's mixture of genre's the best album I have heard this year. I know we're only in mid Jan, but this one will stick around and follow me through the next many months of winter darkness because I know it will keep growing in my heart and mind every time I hear it, until the warm sun associated with spring/summer finally will be back..

Here's a few pre reviews/introduction of Indians and one song was also presented as the song of the day/week, whatever, on the Rolling Stones website in the beginning of December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/f3d3

http://www.4ad.com/releases/21710

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/11/indians_4ad_somewhere_else.php

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #22 of 297
Quote:
Debut album by Indians. Will be released on Jan. 28/29th.

Thanks, Jupiterknight. I downloaded the free introductory song, "I Am Haunted." It sounds interesting. I'll be waiting to try the full album when it comes out.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 297
Quote:

Thanks, Jupiterknight. I downloaded the free introductory song, "I Am Haunted." It sounds interesting. I'll be waiting to try the full album when it comes out.

There's a couple of other songs that I wished they would have picked instead of "I Am Haunted" as the free introductory song. Songs that I believe would present the overall quality and coherency of the album in a better way, but then again it is more likely the choice of 4AD than the pick by Rolling Stones magazine. I just believe they could have picked a better song to give more attention to this release.. we will see what the critics come up with in a few weeks.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 297
Almanac from Widowspeak. This just dropped and is surprisingly strong. Dreamy indie-pop duo originally from from Tacoma, Washington and now based in Brooklyn. Recorded in an old barn in the Hudson River Valley. This will likely end up in my 2013 top ten list.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 297
images

New album by Foxygen released on Jan. 22th.  "We Are The 21st Century's  Ambassador's Of Peace And Magic". Their second album I believe.

Pure 70's, late 60's retro inspired sound and plenty of references  aka "20th Century Man" which was a song by The Kinks way back in the 20th century. So for those who have the time, a particular DOB combined with a huge record collection which can be an advantage to be able to pick out all the many references lyric/musical style that Foxygen's manages to squeeze in each and every song then this album could absolutely be a fun ride. I will say If anyone love's VU it is a must and 'have a cuppa of tea" to blend with this..

All this being said.. Even without fulfilling any of these requirement I actually believe it is a very refreshing and entertaining album and another one to arrive early this year and let's see where it stands by the end of the year. I bet it will receive some decent reviews..

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #26 of 297
Quote:
Almanac from Widowspeak. This just dropped and is surprisingly strong. Dreamy indie-pop duo originally from from Tacoma, Washington and now based in Brooklyn. Recorded in an old barn in the Hudson River Valley. This will likely end up in my 2013 top ten list.

Agree, that is a great Dream-pop/shoegazer album. Molly Hamilton has such a great voice. Reminds me somehow of The Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions" with Hope Sandoval singing.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #27 of 297
Jan 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 297
Here's the new one I've been checking out:

Camper Van Beethoven - La Costa Perdida (2013)

From one description I read: "A woozy bit of California daydreamin' indie rock." And that it is. The first Camper Van Beethoven album in nine years! 
biggrin.gif

Recommended!

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #29 of 297
preorder.jpg

Local Native's Sophomoric album "Hummingbird" will be released on Jan. 28 or 28th.

As I understand it has also been available for iTunes streaming the past week or so.

Very Arcade Fire/FleetFoxes/My Morning Jacket type/style of music 

Hummingbird consists of 11 songs all presented in a beautiful, emotionally way and build on a set of mature, well crafted songwriting skills. 

Probably not a perfect masterpiece or a future classic but certainly worth my time since I have heard at least five times this past week and it's been absolutely enjoyable and it does work great with headphones.

I will now and then revisit this album, maybe even try to catch them in the act later this year when they hit my Local bar..

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #30 of 297
Oh yeah, The first album by Torres. Well,  not this guy...because he can't sing or score goals for that matter..

FernandoTorres_468x681.jpg

But an album from this very young female, Mackenzie Scott from Nashville, performing under the name Torres and her first album is named... "Torres"

homepage_large.d943ebc8.jpg

Very refreshing and just released on her own label. http://torrestorrestorres.com/

Mackenzie Scott apparently wrote all her own songs, played several instruments and it was all recorded live in a matter of few days, who does this these days when it it so much easier to appear on any given and glamorous show just to cut a few corners... 

I have just listen to this album a couple of time today, but I already know that she will be out there for a long time.. much longer than the "first" Torres!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back