New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Feb 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #541 of 625
  I like a neutral bass with neutral/slightly forward vocals with very clear treble and as little harshness as possible. Would these fit my taste soundwise?

For reference, my perfect headphone soundwise is the Philips Fidelio L2, I just can't get a proper seal with them so that's why I can't use them.

Sorry, since I purchased mine they've just been sitting in my desk. I don't have any feel for their sound signature. I'm sure there are some reviews on Head-fi though, do a search.

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #544 of 625
  I like a neutral bass with neutral/slightly forward vocals with very clear treble and as little harshness as possible. Would these fit my taste soundwise?

For reference, my perfect headphone soundwise is the Philips Fidelio L2, I just can't get a proper seal with them so that's why I can't use them.

The maybe I would recommend you more the ATH-M70x. While the soundstage is a smaller than the K553 (but still decent), the vocals and trebles are more forward than in the K553. The bass is neutral but a little bit more present than in the K553 (but still perfect for the neutral type). Also, I didn't experienced any ear fatigue with the m70x compared to the k553 I experienced some ear fatigue sometime after some time (and I find that m70x isolate more from external noise will on-the-go). One drawback is that they will feel cheaper and plastic for the cups.

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #545 of 625

The maybe I would recommend you more the ATH-M70x. While the soundstage is a smaller than the K553 (but still decent), the vocals and trebles are more forward than in the K553. The bass is neutral but a little bit more present than in the K553 (but still perfect for the neutral type). Also, I didn't experienced any ear fatigue with the m70x compared to the k553 I experienced some ear fatigue sometime after some time (and I find that m70x isolate more from external noise will on-the-go). One drawback is that they will feel cheaper and plastic for the cups.

Is the timbre of the M70x natural/realistic? Also, are the earpads deep and large enough for ears that stick out a bit?

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #546 of 625
  Is the timbre of the M70x natural/realistic? Also, are the earpads deep and large enough for ears that stick out a bit?

I would say the timbre is realistic, but you would be better serve if you listen to it by yourself. But ya, the earpads is my biggest cringe on these. I have also this problem with my ears and pretty much all the headphones I had tried, my ears would touch the drivers and the m70x is no exception. Especially at the beginning where I had difficulties to find a comfortable fit, but after a while when you get use to them and you're able to have them sit comfortably with the ears well positioned inside. I would still change the pads but here is my cringe, the pads are connected to the cups by clips and not the usual lid you find on headphones (as shown in the picture underneath).

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #547 of 625
Hey Project, 

Someone in another thread came across this Amazon UK forum review, where he claims AKG actually admitted the AKG K550, K550 MK II, and even the K553 Pro are all THE SAME headphones! I must say I was shocked to read that. A review I read elsewhere said the headband padding on the K553 was less than the K550. THAT might actually be true as physical differences are easier to notice than audio ones. Please review and let me know your thoughts. 

Thank You! 

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #548 of 625

They are the same driver, but not the same headphone. I wouldn't put much weight in some random amazon review, people who have measured them should be able to show the differences.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #551 of 625
  I was looking for the differences between the K5XX series and came across this review which says the drivers are different.  He even went as far as swapping drivers.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k553-pro-closed-back-studio-headphones/reviews/14103

Man, this is SO confusing. Either people on here are perceiving the sound signatures differently b/c they're "being told" that these are different headphones (a mind trick), or AKG is full of crap?! lol 

I decided to buy the AKG K550 MKII off eBay to test it out myself vs. my K553. Maybe the K550 is different from the K553, or maybe it's not? But I wonder if K550 MKII IS perhaps the same as the K553? 

Once it comes in and I can compare the 2, I will post my results. I think it's much more likely that these 2 are the same than either vs. the K550. I'm not willing to get the K550 too just to find out though. lol Someone else will have to do that. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #552 of 625

Man, this is SO confusing. Either people on here are perceiving the sound signatures differently b/c they're "being told" that these are different headphones (a mind trick), or AKG is full of crap?! lol 

I decided to buy the AKG K550 MKII off eBay to test it out myself vs. my K553. Maybe the K550 is different from the K553, or maybe it's not? But I wonder if K550 MKII IS perhaps the same as the K553? 

Once it comes in and I can compare the 2, I will post my results. I think it's much more likely that these 2 are the same than either vs. the K550. I'm not willing to get the K550 too just to find out though. lol Someone else will have to do that. 

Maybe there's a subtle change and some people can hear it and some can't which is why the reviews are so confusing?  Is there something you're not happy about with your K553?  I just bought one so I was curious.  Also curious to see if there's a difference when you get the MKII.

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #553 of 625
  Maybe there's a subtle change and some people can hear it and some can't which is why the reviews are so confusing?  Is there something you're not happy about with your K553?  I just bought one so I was curious.  Also curious to see if there's a difference when you get the MKII.

Hey Tone, 

Yeah that might be true. It was also suggested to me by sludgeogre that perhaps the fact that some people can't get a good seal on the K55X series headphones (because of either the size of their head or pads perhaps?) and some can may be the real reason why the reviews/interpretations vary? I think that's very likely it honestly. 

No not at all really. I love them. But I did read that K550 (and I assume K550 MKII) had slightly more headband cushioning than the K553 does. I find the K553 VERY comfortable, but still I wouldn't mind a lil more up there. Plus I just got the MKII off eBay and it comes with a 3 year warranty for only $20, which I do not have for my K553 (only the 1-year manufacturer warranty). And I like the box of the K550/K550 MKII more. haha (I shouldn't even count that though. lol) 

Well I'll be talking about it on here when I can. Prob not for a couple weeks though as MKII's won't get here 'til PROB mid-next week. 

May 24, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #554 of 625
These just dropped again.  For $119 these seem like a really good deal.  I don't have the money for these but that is making me think hard.......specially after reading this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back