New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Oct 21, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #511 of 625
  Sonically the K553 does appear to have a better tuned bass response and earpads are better with the seal. Not sure if there was any change in that department as it has been ages since I had the K550.

I agree that a removable cable should be something that should have been updated. I would also say a bit deeper earpads would also be a nice change to see if they end up making a future revision to this product hahah.

From a sound perspective though, the K553 is extremely competitive closed headphone for its price point and a very solid value for the sound quality it can achieve. No glaring flaws with its overall sound signature and an extremely spacious soundstage for a closed.

Good to hear. I do remember there were some sharp sounds coming from the K550's and the bass was a little loose for my liking. But seems like they updated the K553' some more and lowered the price! I've always had an issue with the K55X series on the pads as well. Right below my ear there is a steep indent where my jaw and neck meet. Bad seals always start there. For a long time I've had to run IEM's. Starting to get tired of the IEM game.

Hey, even for $120 I could probably get a pair to listen to and do some more weird mods to!

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #512 of 625

Good to hear. I do remember there were some sharp sounds coming from the K550's and the bass was a little loose for my liking. But seems like they updated the K553' some more and lowered the price! I've always had an issue with the K55X series on the pads as well. Right below my ear there is a steep indent where my jaw and neck meet. Bad seals always start there. For a long time I've had to run IEM's. Starting to get tired of the IEM game.

Hey, even for $120 I could probably get a pair to listen to and do some more weird mods to!

Please do let me know if you find any good mods or earpad swaps. All the earpads I tried negatively altered the sound signature. Basically all brainwavz earpads will change the sound sig to either more v-shaped or more treble-focused. The Alpha pads also do alter the sound sig as well.

I really liked the way they sounded stock, so looking for option that doesn't drastically make any sonic differences.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #513 of 625
I was considering picking a pair on massdrop now that they are available. I also have a deal for a used pair of SoundMagic HP150 for around 140 USD (vs 120 USD for the AKGs), would those be a better deal?

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #514 of 625
  I was considering picking a pair on massdrop now that they are available. I also have a deal for a used pair of SoundMagic HP150 for around 140 USD (vs 120 USD for the AKGs), would those be a better deal?

Never really been a fan of the soundmagic headphones I've listened to and have always though the K55X line was a very high value headphone. However, I have not had a chance to listen to the latest sound magic offerings so maybe they have changed some things!

Please do let me know if you find any good mods or earpad swaps. All the earpads I tried negatively altered the sound signature. Basically all brainwavz earpads will change the sound sig to either more v-shaped or more treble-focused. The Alpha pads also do alter the sound sig as well.

I really liked the way they sounded stock, so looking for option that doesn't drastically make any sonic differences.

Will do, have to pick up a pair first though! Maybe some sennhesier pads might fit. :wink:

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #515 of 625
Never really been a fan of the soundmagic headphones I've listened to and have always though the K55X line was a very high value headphone. However, I have not had a chance to listen to the latest sound magic offerings so maybe they have changed some things!

I owned a couple pairs of sound magic IEMs in the past. Needless to say they both died on me within a few months of normal house use. I read a couple reviews on the HP 150s and they said the soundstage is acceptable and the bass is good. I just want to know if these have good bass and good soundstage as well. Also these will be new, and I am buying used SoundMagics... which kind of concerns me. Which is why I am now considering these.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #516 of 625
Massdrop is featuring the K553 again. Thinking of whether to catch the flight. I owned the K550 before and see that some prefers the supposedly little brother K545 over the K550 for its warmer, more bassy signature. May I ask if the K553 also lean towards this direction?

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #517 of 625
Massdrop is featuring the K553 again. Thinking of whether to catch the flight. I owned the K550 before and see that some prefers the supposedly little brother K545 over the K550 for its warmer, more bassy signature. May I ask if the K553 also lean towards this direction?

slightly better bass response than the k550, but not as warm as the k545 imo.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #518 of 625
Friend picked this up on MD, like many here it seems. So far very fond of them, about to do a detachable cable mod. Was looking for suggestions for a high quality, extremely robust 3.5 mm connector (probably round would be better but will take advice from anyone on this) that would fit well, ideally as securely as possible. Also, seen good reviews of the hm5 pads on the k553. Does anyone have any feedback about SQ changes with either the velour version, or angled velour versions? Thanks very much for your time

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #519 of 625

Also, seen good reviews of the hm5 pads on the k553. Does anyone have any feedback about SQ changes with either the velour version, or angled velour versions? Thanks very much for your time

The HM5 hybrid velour pads, (pleather sides, velour top), reduce the bass.  I assume the full velour would do it even more.  I don't recall exactly, but it was probably at least 3-5db across the low end.  It's not a subtle difference.  

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #520 of 625
Thank you for your response. I can't find where but someone who had Alpha Dogs also got the MD drop. Will the Alpha pads fit the k553? If so, how's the FR/SQ?

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #521 of 625
Thank you for your response. I can't find where but someone who had Alpha Dogs also got the MD drop. Will the Alpha pads fit the k553? If so, how's the FR/SQ?

yes, the Alpha pads will fit on the K533. Here are the FR graphs comparing different earpads.

*******IMPORTANT Measurement Disclaimer*******
  1. I am NOT a professional, so my personal measurements may not be as accurate as other sources. Any feedback or suggestions for improvement appreciated.
  2. Measurement chain: PC with Windows 10 > ARTA Generates Sine Sweeps > Steinberg UR-22 USB Interface with Yamaha ASIO > Line Out > Oppo HA-2 Amplifier > headphones placed upon my own head (left ear being measured) > Pannasonic WM61-A Microphone > Steinberg UR-22 > Laptop > ARTA analysis
  3. I used a Panasonic WM61-A microphone in my measurement set-up. The WM61-A does actually measure very flat until the upper treble range when calibrated. Its unequalized response should be flat within +/- 1.5 dB to 20 kHz. Frequency response curves are smoothed to 1/24 octave.
  4. Do NOT directly compare my personal measurements to FR curves made by others!!! There will be inherent discrepancies due to differences in measurement set-up, so comparing measurements from different sources is not reliable!!
  5. Use this post as a guide on the relative comparison of changes between different earpads on the K553. All trials were conducted during the same day in one sitting.
  6. The dip in the 6kHz region is a measurement artifact from the interaction from the mic placement with the shape of the ear folds. This artifact appears in all my measured frequency response curves via my current personal measurement set-up and is not audible.

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Stock Pads

K553 Pro Stock Earpads (double-gated FR setting on Arta)

K553 Pro Stock Earpads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Alpha Pads

K553 + Alpha Pads (double-gated FR setting on Arta)

K553 + Alpha Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Brainwavz Angled Velours

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Velour Pads (double-gated FR setting on ARTA - 2 graphs above)

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Velour Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA - 2 graphs above)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Brainwavz Angled Pleather

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Pleather Pads (double-gated FR setting on ARTA)

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Pleather Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Brainwavz Pleather-Velour Hybrid

K553 + Brainwavz Pleather-Velour Hybrid Pads (double-gated FR setting on ARTA)

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Pleather-Velour Hybrid Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

Conclusion: All the different earpads will alter the overall sound signature of the K553 to a measurable amount on the FR curve. I personally like the stock earpad's sound the best, but personal preference will weigh in here. Velour-based earpads will have the greatest sonic difference and does indeed sound noticeably brighter in by-ear comparisons. I personally would not recommend going in that direction. The alternative earpads I would recommend are the Brainwavz angled pleather or the Alpha pads if you are looking for an alternative that has a relatively similar sound signature to the sock earpads. I would say that swapping earpads does not necessarily lead to an improvement in terms of measured FR balance, so it may be a good bet to just stick with the stock earpads if there are no comfort issues.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #522 of 625

yes, the Alpha pads will fit on the K533. Here are the FR graphs comparing different earpads.

*******IMPORTANT Measurement Disclaimer*******
  1. I am NOT a professional, so my personal measurements may not be as accurate as other sources. Any feedback or suggestions for improvement appreciated.
  2. Measurement chain: PC with Windows 10 > ARTA Generates Sine Sweeps > Steinberg UR-22 USB Interface with Yamaha ASIO > Line Out > Oppo HA-2 Amplifier > headphones placed upon my own head (left ear being measured) > Pannasonic WM61-A Microphone > Steinberg UR-22 > Laptop > ARTA analysis
  3. I used a Panasonic WM61-A microphone in my measurement set-up. The WM61-A does actually measure very flat until the upper treble range when calibrated. Its unequalized response should be flat within +/- 1.5 dB to 20 kHz. Frequency response curves are smoothed to 1/24 octave.
  4. Do NOT directly compare my personal measurements to FR curves made by others!!! There will be inherent discrepancies due to differences in measurement set-up, so comparing measurements from different sources is not reliable!!
  5. Use this post as a guide on the relative comparison of changes between different earpads on the K553. All trials were conducted during the same day in one sitting.
  6. The dip in the 6kHz region is a measurement artifact from the interaction from the mic placement with the shape of the ear folds. This artifact appears in all my measured frequency response curves via my current personal measurement set-up and is not audible.

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Stock Pads

K553 Pro Stock Earpads (double-gated FR setting on Arta)

K553 Pro Stock Earpads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Alpha Pads

K553 + Alpha Pads (double-gated FR setting on Arta)

K553 + Alpha Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Brainwavz Angled Velours

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Velour Pads (double-gated FR setting on ARTA - 2 graphs above)

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Velour Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA - 2 graphs above)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Brainwavz Angled Pleather

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Pleather Pads (double-gated FR setting on ARTA)

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Pleather Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

8/30/15 FR Trials: K553 Pro + Brainwavz Pleather-Velour Hybrid

K553 + Brainwavz Pleather-Velour Hybrid Pads (double-gated FR setting on ARTA)

K553 + Brainwavz Angled Pleather-Velour Hybrid Pads (with distortion measurements on ARTA)

Conclusion: All the different earpads will alter the overall sound signature of the K553 to a measurable amount on the FR curve. I personally like the stock earpad's sound the best, but personal preference will weigh in here. Velour-based earpads will have the greatest sonic difference and does indeed sound noticeably brighter in by-ear comparisons. I personally would not recommend going in that direction. The alternative earpads I would recommend are the Brainwavz angled pleather or the Alpha pads if you are looking for an alternative that has a relatively similar sound signature to the sock earpads. I would say that swapping earpads does not necessarily lead to an improvement in terms of measured FR balance, so it may be a good bet to just stick with the stock earpads if there are no comfort issues.

Thank you for the in depth analysis. I would never have been able to do a side by side comparison like this. This may be totally out of left field, but how much would you conjecture the pleather of the hm5 pads be responsible for the sound? For ex, was thinking of reskinning a pair of the angled versions with real leather, perhaps like the lambskin of the alpha pads (which by themselves are more to purchase than the hm5 pads shipped + leather; labor of course is free ; ). Also, if not the angled ones, this pair (although if they work as is, may just stick it out)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261886607985?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=560727066822&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What do you think they might do? Increase in soundstage seems likely, more extension &/or definition? In any case, thanks a bunch. Very helpful

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #523 of 625
Mine just arrived today and I have to say, I'm impressed by the sound quality considering how cheap they are right now. I do have one small complaint though: my right ear sticks out farther from my head than my left ear, making it come in contact with the plastic drive housing which causes a fair bit of discomfort. There is a VERY specific position I can achieve where it is negligible. But I'd prefer an alternative to having to sit practically motionless to listen to these xD Especially considering that these are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn in every other way :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #524 of 625
Mine just arrived today and I have to say, I'm impressed by the sound quality considering how cheap they are right now. I do have one small complaint though: my right ear sticks out farther from my head than my left ear, making it come in contact with the plastic drive housing which causes a fair bit of discomfort. There is a VERY specific position I can achieve where it is negligible. But I'd prefer an alternative to having to sit practically motionless to listen to these xD Especially considering that these are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn in every other way
smily_headphones1.gif

As I said earlier in this thread I had the exact same problem. The HM5 pads took care of that problem completely and I love them. You can see above that they may or may not change the sound...I don't know. I can't tell any difference. You may. But they are comfy as hell now and still sound great, to me that's all that matters. 

EDIT- BTW here's how they look with HM5 pads in case you're wondering.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #525 of 625
Thanks, those do look comfy! I do worry about the sound a bit, but these won't be my main use cans anyway. These will be more on the go or when im doing chores around the house. Sorry for not seeing your other post, I haven't had time to read the thread yet :tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back