New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Aug 31, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #497 of 625
One day left on this most recent drop, estimated ship date is 9/8.

Mine have been treating me beyond amazingly well, great in my experience for music, videos and gaming. Easy to find the sweet spot in sound and to find the right adjustment. I do find I need a break after a couple of hours due to the headband pad not being thick enough, but a minute or two and I'm good for another couple of hours...far more comfy than my HE-400's. I haven't tried the ebay pillow pads yet...they are stick-on style and I don't much care for that..might save them for my kid's XB500's when they wear out.

I am thinking of trying some different pads though. Might order some HM5 pleather standard or angled...not sure yet...

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #498 of 625

I do think the stock pads could be a bit thicker, so I am still searching for a good pad upgrade that improves depth & comfort without negatively impacting the measured frequency response balance. did not measure the hm5 pleathers yet, so they may be the magic bullet.

Did you ever get a chance to measure the HM5 pleathers? Either way, have you found any suitable replacement pads that prevent the ears from hitting the drivers, all while maintaining the isolation and not messing with the sound too greatly? Thanks in advance!

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #499 of 625
  Did you ever get a chance to measure the HM5 pleathers? Either way, have you found any suitable replacement pads that prevent the ears from hitting the drivers, all while maintaining the isolation and not messing with the sound too greatly? Thanks in advance!

hi astonish,

nope. all earpads I've tried alter the sound signature. did try all the brainwavz earpads & the alpha pads. I think it is because they are smaller in diameter than the stock akg k553 earpads. that being said, the change in sound sig may not be unpleasant. I haven't tried that really thick pillow type earpad that was linked to from ebay.

sorry I didn't find an ideal option

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #500 of 625
  hi astonish,

nope. all earpads I've tried alter the sound signature. did try all the brainwavz earpads & the alpha pads. I think it is because they are smaller in diameter than the stock akg k553 earpads. that being said, the change in sound sig may not be unpleasant. I haven't tried that really thick pillow type earpad that was linked to from ebay.

sorry I didn't find an ideal option

Bummer! I just need a bit more room before I hit the driver with my ear. Thanks for your input, anyways!

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #503 of 625
I can't find one in my vicinity, any idea where (when?) a european might buy one of these? 

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #505 of 625
Also used a forwarder, you should understand that in case of warranty you would be sending them to massdrop  (or AKG USA?) and they would send them to you again via  the forwarder. Mine are from the last drop and I've had them for one week, I'm pleased with them, no issues and they sound fine with my gear and music. Not worried about the warranty stuff even if I were to use it would be easier and faster than getting service from the distributor in my country.
best regards,

Antonio Rivas 

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #506 of 625
hum seems the massdrop has ended and everyone has pushed the price up to 199... Glad I found them for what I did when I was in need of new headphones... Still very much enjoying these and would say they are def worth the 199 price most places are asking now.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #508 of 625
They sure are... until the headband cushion starts to flatten with a few months of use.

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #509 of 625
Anyone know the difference between the 553's and 550's? Been a fan of the 550's since launch, but I fail to see the difference in the newer models other than microphone and the lack of removable cables STILL. Come on, it's not THAT hard!

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #510 of 625
  Anyone know the difference between the 553's and 550's? Been a fan of the 550's since launch, but I fail to see the difference in the newer models other than microphone and the lack of removable cables STILL. Come on, it's not THAT hard!

Sonically the K553 does appear to have a better tuned bass response and earpads are better with the seal. Not sure if there was any change in that department as it has been ages since I had the K550.

I agree that a removable cable should be something that should have been updated. I would also say a bit deeper earpads would also be a nice change to see if they end up making a future revision to this product hahah.

From a sound perspective though, the K553 is extremely competitive closed headphone for its price point and a very solid value for the sound quality it can achieve. No glaring flaws with its overall sound signature and an extremely spacious soundstage for a closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back