New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Aug 6, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #481 of 625
I am really thinking about going in on the Massdrop deal for these. I am hoping this could be a good supplement to my HE-400's but closed. I love my D2000's, but want to add more mid presence and keep some good detail clarity. I do realize that the K553's are not bass monsters, but I tend to EQ any headphone I listen to...do these respond well to EQ? Can they handle increased bass output? I'll be reading this thread to hopefully seek those answers but would appreciate some input! Cheers!

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #482 of 625

Hm, really? I find them miles better than the stock pads. Couldn't have gotten rid of the stocks quicker lol... Such is head-fi! To each his own, YMMV, IMO and so on...
tongue.gif

different ear shapes will contribute as well to differences in FR measurements when pad swapping. your impressions may be perfectly on point. just a word of caution for those thinking about swapping pads. results may be variable.

I would like to get my hands on the HM5 pleather pads to just measure them in comparison, but so far all pad swaps negatively impact the midrange. more pronounced on angled earpads. will do more testing over the weekend when I have more free time.

I do think the stock pads could be a bit thicker, so I am still searching for a good pad upgrade that improves depth & comfort without negatively impacting the measured frequency response balance. did not measure the hm5 pleathers yet, so they may be the magic bullet.

cheers!

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #484 of 625
  I am really thinking about going in on the Massdrop deal for these. I am hoping this could be a good supplement to my HE-400's but closed. I love my D2000's, but want to add more mid presence and keep some good detail clarity. I do realize that the K553's are not bass monsters, but I tend to EQ any headphone I listen to...do these respond well to EQ? Can they handle increased bass output? I'll be reading this thread to hopefully seek those answers but would appreciate some input! Cheers!

It handles them well.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #485 of 625
It seems BH Photo has them for $125 for immediate shipping... I'm on the fence on this... never bought high end earphones (more than $100 before)... not sure if it's worth it or if I'll like it.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #486 of 625
It seems BH Photo has them for $125 for immediate shipping... I'm on the fence on this... never bought high end earphones (more than $100 before)... not sure if it's worth it or if I'll like it.

You could get from me for 90 bucks plus shipping and PayPal fees if you're in the US. 8] I'm willing to work something out as I'm trying to sell them ASAP.

Of course if you're interested though. No pressure.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #487 of 625
You could get from me for 90 bucks plus shipping and PayPal fees if you're in the US. 8] I'm willing to work something out as I'm trying to sell them ASAP.

Of course if you're interested though. No pressure.

I might be. Trying to go through reviews of these now on youtube.  

Can you explain why you're selling them?  Are they not as good as you expected?  

Being a hi-fi newbie this is all new territory for me.  I typically prefer IEM's but it might be nice to have something higher end over / on the ear if the sound is way better...

Also if I do decide to buy them from you how we make sure both of us are protected?  Do you have positive feedback from prior sales?  I usually buy from eBay / Amazon etc so there is a degree of protection.  

Appreciate you letting me know.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #488 of 625
  I might be. Trying to go through reviews of these now on youtube.  

Can you explain why you're selling them?  Are they not as good as you expected?  

Being a hi-fi newbie this is all new territory for me.  I typically prefer IEM's but it might be nice to have something higher end over / on the ear if the sound is way better...

Also if I do decide to buy them from you how we make sure both of us are protected?  Do you have positive feedback from prior sales?  I usually buy from eBay / Amazon etc so there is a degree of protection.  

Appreciate you letting me know.

To be completely honest, I'm selling them so I can get some money for some food at the Minnesota State Fair that will be coming in a few weeks.

Another reason is because I don't find myself using them much especially after just buying another pair of headphones.

They're good, but in the way of how it doesn't sound like it's attacking your ears. They're polite but if you like a little more excitement, you can EQ more treble and bass accordingly and they will pretty sound amazing. I did +4 on the bass and +2 on the treble on my Fiio Andes E07K and it was perfect for my "fun-time" listening.

I have feedback here on Head-Fi which you can look at here and on ebay here. I would list them on ebay but ebay fees take a fraction for themselves every month and that's a bit annoying.

I am currently selling the K553 in a thread here on Head-Fi here. I also have other things if you're interested.

Forgot to mention, pictures and information are also listed in my thread there.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #489 of 625

To be completely honest, I'm selling them so I can get some money for some food at the Minnesota State Fair that will be coming in a few weeks.

Another reason is because I don't find myself using them much especially after just buying another pair of headphones.

They're good, but in the way of how it doesn't sound like it's attacking your ears. They're polite but if you like a little more excitement, you can EQ more treble and bass accordingly and they will pretty sound amazing. I did +4 on the bass and +2 on the treble on my Fiio Andes E07K and it was perfect for my "fun-time" listening.

I have feedback here on Head-Fi which you can look at here and on ebay here. I would list them on ebay but ebay fees take a fraction for themselves every month and that's a bit annoying.

I am currently selling the K553 in a thread here on Head-Fi here. I also have other things if you're interested.

Forgot to mention, pictures and information are also listed in my thread there.

Thanks for the info.  I mainly use my iPhone 6 and Note 4 to listen, as I have no amps / DACs etc.. (still an amateur).  Will these be okay with those as sources?

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #490 of 625
  Thanks for the info.  I mainly use my iPhone 6 and Note 4 to listen, as I have no amps / DACs etc.. (still an amateur).  Will these be okay with those as sources?

Just tested them out real quick on my Sony Xperia Z3V and Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and they drive the K553's fine. They sound just loud enough around maybe 80-90%.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you want to go through with them, I am only shipping to the United States and the transaction will go through PayPal. I am selling them for 90 USD + 4% for Paypal fees + Shipping (which I can offer for free since I approached you first). We can take this though PM so the thread will stay on topic.

Sorry to everyone, I've taken this thread a bit off topic.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #491 of 625
  Just tested them out real quick on my Sony Xperia Z3V and Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and they drive the K553's fine. They sound just loud enough around maybe 80-90%.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you want to go through with them, I am only shipping to the United States and the transaction will go through PayPal. I am selling them for 90 USD + 4% for Paypal fees + Shipping (which I can offer for free since I approached you first). We can take this though PM so the thread will stay on topic.

Sorry to everyone, I've taken this thread a bit off topic.

Thanks.

I watched a youtube review where the reviewer said they don't have a lot of mid-bass, and he says the k550 (in another review) it's more of an analytical sound, cleaner.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKQP2zbu_JU

I think I'm more of a bass-head and I really like feeling the bass / oomph of my music, I'm wondering if these would be too cool for my tastes.   So hard to know especially being a newbie and never having tried $100+ earphones before...

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #492 of 625
  Thanks.

I watched a youtube review where the reviewer said they don't have a lot of mid-bass, and he says the k550 (in another review) it's more of an analytical sound, cleaner.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKQP2zbu_JU

I think I'm more of a bass-head and I really like feeling the bass / oomph of my music, I'm wondering if these would be too cool for my tastes.   So hard to know especially being a newbie and never having tried $100+ earphones before...

In terms of bass to a someone who loves their bass, they might seem lacking in the bass and maybe by a lot. I added more bass when I wanted to just jam out, but I did appreciate them without the added bass at times.

For bass, you might want to look elsewhere. I haven't really listened to bassier headphones around the 100 dollar price point though, so sorry I can't point you to any direction.

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #493 of 625
  In terms of bass to a someone who loves their bass, they might seem lacking in the bass and maybe by a lot. I added more bass when I wanted to just jam out, but I did appreciate them without the added bass at times.

For bass, you might want to look elsewhere. I haven't really listened to bassier headphones around the 100 dollar price point though, so sorry I can't point you to any direction.

Thanks, that is good to know.  I'm going to watch a lot more reviews and read a lot more to get a better understanding of these.  You've helped a ton, will PM you if I decide to get these!

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #494 of 625
  Thanks, that is good to know.  I'm going to watch a lot more reviews and read a lot more to get a better understanding of these.  You've helped a ton, will PM you if I decide to get these!

Yup, just let me know via PM if you're still interested!

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #495 of 625
Received my Massdrop pair today, and so far I'm really enjoying them after a little EQ tuning. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back