New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Jul 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #451 of 625
The sound quality for me is really really good. The headband cushioning is ridiculous though (as stated by everyone else). 

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #453 of 625
Best to hear both. K553 are great and I wouldn't have looked for other closed if AKG provided better isolation. HP50 do have a laid back sound but it is still clear and nothing sounds slow. K553 to me are not closed, semi closed because isolation is atrocious.

Been searching for "external acoustics" of headphones and noticed this quote.

How "quiet" are these, from someone else's external perspective?

I'm basically on the hunt for a set of headphones that are very quiet/silent to the outside world (the better-half keeps complaining about my A40s open-back, that she can hear downstairs with the door shut!).

Reading this, you state they seem "semi-closed" - does the sound leak more in these than others?

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #454 of 625
I use the K553 at work in an open seating office and no one has complained about them. However, trying to listen to loud music in bed right next to my sleeping wife didn't work out so well.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #455 of 625
I use the K553 at work in an open seating office and no one has complained about them. However, trying to listen to loud music in bed right next to my sleeping wife didn't work out so well.

Haha, yeah already knew that fate when I first got my A40s and she came running upstairs to tel me "the neighbors are blasting music again."  We had no neighbors at that time...

Thank you!  Keep 'em coming!

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #456 of 625
Been searching for "external acoustics" of headphones and noticed this quote.

How "quiet" are these, from someone else's external perspective?

I'm basically on the hunt for a set of headphones that are very quiet/silent to the outside world (the better-half keeps complaining about my A40s open-back, that she can hear downstairs with the door shut!).

Reading this, you state they seem "semi-closed" - does the sound leak more in these than others?

They're fine, man. I laid in bed cranking out some music one night, and my wife couldn't hear them. Now my HE400, she can damn we'll hear those...

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #457 of 625
Got these from the massdrop, I like the soundstage. A good difference from the ATH M50x

I just wish the lowend was a little more forward, some drums and bass don't kick hard enough for me on some hip hop songs.

Gonna sell the M50 for some beyer Dt770 80ohms

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #458 of 625
  Got these from the massdrop, I like the soundstage. A good difference from the ATH M50x

I just wish the lowend was a little more forward, some drums and bass don't kick hard enough for me on some hip hop songs.

Gonna sell the M50 for some beyer Dt770 80ohms

DT770 might be a good option if you want a more weighty presentation. Also in your price range would be the T50RP mods like the Mad Dog or DIY T50RP. I highly suggest anything to do with the T50RP if you can modify it yourself to sound as good as the Alpha Dog. Compared to the Alpha Dog the K553 is very neutral, just doesn't have the thick sounding mids or bass of the AD.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #459 of 625
  Not sure about isolation as my roommate is out of town, though I believe there is a definite increase of midbass thump with the thicker felt pad that's included for it. I was an idiot though and forgot to put on the regular pads first and so my experience is coming off velour pads.

I just ordered those pads. The stock pads are just really starting to irritate me. If I rotate my head the slightest I lose the seal. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #463 of 625
K550, K551 and K553 all have the same drivers, basically the K551 sounds tiny bit different due to a different cable, and K553 sound tiny bit different due to slightly changed pads. Essentially they are all similar enough not to bother with analysis.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #464 of 625
  K550, K551 and K553 all have the same drivers, basically the K551 sounds tiny bit different due to a different cable, and K553 sound tiny bit different due to slightly changed pads. Essentially they are all similar enough not to bother with analysis.

Don't forget the k545s, and the cable is not the reason for difference in the 551s, its the pads cover material..

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #465 of 625

I would agree with this in the sense that I was equally impressed with all three headphones and they seemed to be the same from non-side-by-side direct comparisons. perhaps owners of both who do extensive direct comparisons can pick up nuanced differences, but probably not really not that necessary.

get the k551 if you need a removable microphone cable. otherwise, the just get the new k553 unless you can find the k550 at a significantly cheaper price point (imo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back