New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
May 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #346 of 625
  To answer money4me247's question (next time don't ask something in the upvote note :wink: )
You just install it like any other pads on these headphone. You have a notch in the cup where you insert the lip of the pad and rotate it in order to put them on. But also you will have resistance when you put the HM5 on and then you just grab half (or 1/3) of the pad that is already inserted and continue to twist it carefully. No need to use glue or anything else.

thank you! just wanted to upvote your post bc it was so helpful =P

May 15, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #348 of 625
  The HM5 pads fit on the K553. You need to stretch it a little before and take your time while putting it, preferably by grabbing half of the pads with your hand. What I noticed:
-Better seal
-Therefore bass more present (and also the sound seems a little bit better define but not sure)
-My ears don't touch at all to the drivers and they are comfortable
-They get hotter than the stock pad and more quickly

I have a pair of K551's, and considering that the earpads are identical, I think it's okay to post my question here.
The K551's were really cheap in a local store, so I didn't wander for very long, and bought them. Before the purchase I've read that the bass may not be satisfactory for a lot of people, but I still thought it would be good for me, because some people mentioned that the K55x series is similair to K271 MKII, which I have at work, and with which I'm happy with. Turns out, the K551 are a lot less "boomier". So I'm boosting bass using an EQ.
You've mentioned that HM5's pads offer a better seal, which may be a "deal-maker" for me, because from what I've found:
1.) The lacking bass is mostly due to the bad seal.
2.) The seal is often lost while moving around
These earpads might fix these problems, however shipping alone will cost me 
$21, so I'm a bit wary about the purchase. Is the seal "that much better"? Because I am willing to spend this money if it is.​
I know it's hard to "quantify" ​
these things, ​
but if you have any thoughts about my situation, please share them.​

EDIT: ​
Turns out the earpads aren't identical at all, but, still, people managed to get HM5's pads onto the K551's​

May 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #349 of 625

I have a pair of K551's, and considering that the earpads are identical, I think it's okay to post my question here.
The K551's were really cheap in a local store, so I didn't wander for very long, and bought them. Before the purchase I've read that the bass may not be satisfactory for a lot of people, but I still thought it would be good for me, because some people mentioned that the K55x series is similair to K271 MKII, which I have at work, and with which I'm happy with. Turns out, the K551 are a lot less "boomier". So I'm boosting bass using an EQ.
You've mentioned that HM5's pads offer a better seal, which may be a "deal-maker" for me, because from what I've found:
$21, so I'm a bit wary about the purchase. Is the seal "that much better"? Because I am willing to spend this money if it is.​
these things, ​

Turns out the earpads aren't identical at all, but, still, people managed to get HM5's pads onto the K551's​

Where are you getting $21 shipping?

Have you looked at MP4 Nation? They have the Brainwavs pads, in a huge assortment of colours. They have some thicker pads that give more room for your ears, and also velour ones that aren't quite as sweat-boxy.

May 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #350 of 625
Just got my AKGs and the bass is a lot more than I expected from what people said. Hope the highs will chill out later though?

May 15, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #351 of 625

Where are you getting $21 shipping?

Have you looked at MP4 Nation? They have the Brainwavs pads, in a huge assortment of colours. They have some thicker pads that give more room for your ears, and also velour ones that aren't quite as sweat-boxy.

I did find an entry by MP4NATION on Amazon, and it offered its "AmazonGlobal Expedited Shipping". I didn't occur to me MP4NATION might have it's own service, turns out, they have free shipping.
Thank you!

May 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #352 of 625
  I did find an entry by MP4NATION on Amazon, and it offered its "AmazonGlobal Expedited Shipping". I didn't occur to me MP4NATION might have it's own service, turns out, they have free shipping.
Thank you!

You're welcome. I just ordered a pair of the red velour pads myself, so the free shipping option was fresh in my mind.

May 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #353 of 625

these things, ​

The pads will not make the AKG boomier. The K551 and alike have a defined and controlled bass but not a boomy one. The pads will only help to refind this bass which is less present without a proper seal.

May 15, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #354 of 625

You're welcome. I just ordered a pair of the red velour pads myself, so the free shipping option was fresh in my mind.

Can you post your impression on these when you received them? I'm really curious about the change in the sound. ^^

May 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #355 of 625
Massdrop shipped my K553 and K7XX at the same time, I'm in for some 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #356 of 625

Can you post your impression on these when you received them? I'm really curious about the change in the sound. ^^

Will try to remember. If I haven't gotten back to you, remind me in about two weeks (hopefully I'll have them by then).

May 16, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #358 of 625
deleted

May 17, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #359 of 625
Wow the thought of pads increasing the treble even more scares me. My ears would probably pop! So my guess is the alphas are not for me but maybe those cheaper ones? I would like more soundstage without hurting my ears. Probably need more break in time to really judge these though.

May 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #360 of 625
Just as another point of reference, I didn't feel as if the alpha pads changed the sound signature much besides making the sound stage sound a bit more open and the bass a bit more present (I was getting a very bad seal before alphas). I also bent my headband so it conforms to my head better. The treble didn't increase from what I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back