New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
May 6, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #301 of 625

You think the second message is for the second wave? The first one says they all have shipped so its confusing. The email I got matches the second announcement just posted in the discussion. That they are just now ordering them and will ship them when they get the order in.

I'm thinking we got that email since the drop was extended. Considering the absolute first batch (that was a while ago in another drop) has been shipped ages ago, and some of them have even gotten their headphones, I would assume the message that they just shipped is for us in the first batch of this drop. Also, considering our headphones were supposed to ship in early May, that's even stronger evidence it's our batch that was just shipped :D

May 6, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #302 of 625
  I'm thinking we got that email since the drop was extended. Considering the absolute first batch (that was a while ago in another drop) has been shipped ages ago, and some of them have even gotten their headphones, I would assume the message that they just shipped is for us in the first batch of this drop. Also, considering our headphones were supposed to ship in early May, that's even stronger evidence it's our batch that was just shipped :D

I guess we will find out if they send us tracking numbers within 48 hours. The status of mine hasn't changed yet either. This is exciting though. Makes me think maybe next week is a possibility.

May 6, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #303 of 625

I guess we will find out if they send us tracking numbers within 48 hours. The status of mine hasn't changed yet either. This is exciting though. Makes me think maybe next week is a possibility.

Next week ?! :O Lucky person.. I gotta wait at least a couple (most likely three) weeks till I get 'em ! ._.

May 6, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #304 of 625
My Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack came in the mail today. My old HD555 didn't really like them, but the k553 sound pretty damn awesome. Super happy with the k553. Can't believe I was debating not getting these at that Massdrop price. Next is the debate on buying the Alpha Dog Pads for these. I know once I get them I'll probably think the same thing.

May 8, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #305 of 625
You might want to wait for me to get the Doggie Treats and report back on how much difference it makes, because I felt with the alpha pads alone the treble was too accentuated. Only after I added my own foam did it sound better. Now I want to play around with more foam mods hence doggie treats. I had to pay shipping twice because I didn't order it with the alpha pads. So that became another $5 on a $15 purchase

Any word on the Doggie Treats?

May 8, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #306 of 625
I'd rather have an update on the headphones but I guess they have shipped but the email I got was saying they are only just ordering them now and will ship when they get them. So they sent me the wrong email then?

May 8, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #309 of 625
Love mine.... awesome especially for the price!

May 8, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #310 of 625
Any word on the Doggie Treats?

So the doggie treats arrived today. I took out the foam I was using and first tried just a single layer of the provided mesh. It did tune down the treble a bit but it still had issues. Next I tried two layers which now the treble wasn't piercing anymore, but it sounded veiled and not as refined so it was a no go. Next I tried just a single tab covering the middle of each driver and that enough was able to cut out the treble issues, however it seemed to lose the sub bass impact. In fact with all combinations of the doggie treats with Alpha pads, the sub bass was weakened. I put back in the foam I had from the Superlux and tried with one layer of mesh and once again it helped the treble, but was veiled. Finally I found the best combination to be one tab and the superlux foam and no doggie treats mesh. It seems the foam maintains that sub bass, while the tab cuts out the treble glare. I'm pretty satisfied with the current sound. The verdict for me is without any foam or mods, switching to the alpha pads creates a trebly nightmare. The doggie treats does help but does not have the right combination for the sound I like. I recommend experimenting with different foams and materials until you can get that perfect sound. Because not only do the alpha pads provide far better comfort, it increases the soundstage and allows for much better instrument separation, but for me the alpha pads alone causes issues in the frequency response that needs tuning either through material mods or perhaps EQ. For me I'm satisfied with my combination superlux foam and doggie treats tabs. And oh yeah it still had that perfect combination of sub bass slam and airy treble, but now the upper mids/lower treble is no longer glaring. No more sibilance!

May 8, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #311 of 625
Did anyone tried the Audeze Replacement Earpads (those in microsuede) with the cans?

May 9, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #312 of 625
The only negative I can hear is some sibilance at times, but I've already ordered the Doggie Treats that work with the alpha pads and maybe that could attenuate the sibilance away while keeping that bass slam and airy treble. If that's the case, I may really contemplate selling my HD800.

I took it home last night to use on my home setup with the Questyle CMA800R and it definitely sounded better over my portable audioengine amp at work. I then ordered the Cavalli Carbon because I knew what I was missing at work. I'm looking to get these balanced next to work to the carbon's full potential. That's how amazing these sound for me.

More soundstage and comfort interest me but my ears are pretty sensitive to treble and sibilance. My right ear gets pretty bad and takes a while to recover so I try to avoid it. So I look forward to how the pads work out for you.

So...why is folks messin' with a headphone that don't need messin' with? Pulling the drivers like 1 1/2 " away from the ears, uh yeah, you're gonna get excess treble and sibilance.

May 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #313 of 625

So...why is folks messin' with a headphone that don't need messin' with? Pulling the drivers like 1 1/2 " away from the ears, uh yeah, you're gonna get excess treble and sibilance.

The claim is this gives them more soundstage and also helps for people who have a problem with drivers rubbing their ears.

May 10, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #314 of 625
Sure no problem driving them.  Both headphones have similar impedance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back