New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
May 1, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #286 of 625
I honestly bought the alpha pads for comfort as my ears touched the drivers and it got sore after a while, but now I'm much more enamored with the sound differences. To me it's now better than the sennheiser HD700 and beyerdynamic T90. It's at least on par with a well driven HE-500. I once thought it may be paradoxically impossible to have both a nice bass slam and airy treble in the same pair of headphones, but these are showing to have that elusive sound. The only negative I can hear is some sibilance at times, but I've already ordered the Doggie Treats that work with the alpha pads and maybe that could attenuate the sibilance away while keeping that bass slam and airy treble. If that's the case, I may really contemplate selling my HD800.

I took it home last night to use on my home setup with the Questyle CMA800R and it definitely sounded better over my portable audioengine amp at work. I then ordered the Cavalli Carbon because I knew what I was missing at work. I'm looking to get these balanced next to work to the carbon's full potential. That's how amazing these sound for me.

May 1, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #287 of 625
More soundstage and comfort interest me but my ears are pretty sensitive to treble and sibilance. My right ear gets pretty bad and takes a while to recover so I try to avoid it. So I look forward to how the pads work out for you.

May 2, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #289 of 625
Huh.. if the alpha pads really do alter the performance that much, I might just simply have to buy a pair. Ears rubbing against the drivers is something I just can't take. It's painful, and I hate it. If it gets rid of that, PLUS gives a performance boost soundwise, it's a no brainer. 

May 2, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #291 of 625
Waiting for K550/K553 + Alpha Pad impressions.
popcorn.gif

Sign me up! I got some extra popcorn, yo
popcorn.gif

On a sidenote, what's the shipping cost for you living the US for the Alpha pads? Mines end up costing $90, with shipping and VAT ._.

May 2, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #294 of 625
You might want to wait for me to get the Doggie Treats and report back on how much difference it makes, because I felt with the alpha pads alone the treble was too accentuated. Only after I added my own foam did it sound better. Now I want to play around with more foam mods hence doggie treats. I had to pay shipping twice because I didn't order it with the alpha pads. So that became another $5 on a $15 purchase

May 3, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #295 of 625
Woah I wasn't expecting them to be $60 but if they can do what you say, that would be worth it! No email yet, maybe monday.

May 3, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #296 of 625
You might want to wait for me to get the Doggie Treats and report back on how much difference it makes, because I felt with the alpha pads alone the treble was too accentuated. Only after I added my own foam did it sound better. Now I want to play around with more foam mods hence doggie treats. I had to pay shipping twice because I didn't order it with the alpha pads. So that became another $5 on a $15 purchase

Pardon me for being such a noob, but what exactly do you mean by adding your own foam?

EDIT: just realised I could probably find that easily in the DIY section.. Off I go!

May 5, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #297 of 625

Please send an update when you've had time to test this out. I'm not digging the stock pads after putting a spacer in. They aren't nearly as comfortable. Thanks in advance!

May 6, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #298 of 625
Well they say they shipped but also say they are preparing to order them and then ship them when they get them. Im going to guess the second is true for me at 551.

May 6, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #299 of 625
Well they say they shipped but also say they are preparing to order them and then ship them when they get them. Im going to guess the second is true for me at 551.

I do actually yours has been sent out. Same as me, I'm 614. We're in the first batch of these (there's been one earlier as well, but many have received theirs already from that one )

May 6, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #300 of 625
I do actually yours has been sent out. Same as me, I'm 614. We're in the first batch of these (there's been one earlier as well, but many have received theirs already from that one )

You think the second message is for the second wave? The first one says they all have shipped so its confusing. The email I got matches the second announcement just posted in the discussion. That they are just now ordering them and will ship them when they get the order in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back