New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal
Apr 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #77 of 625
^ place a willing to buy add in the For sale forum. I have seen a couple of those around there lately but don't know if they are still there. 

I wish I would have jumped on this drop freakin A.

There's still two days left though?  Unless you mean you spent the money you could have used for these on something else.

broke :' (

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #78 of 625
these and the beyers are the only nonportables in your list. if u dont need portability or noise isolation, u can get more sound quality bang for ur buck going open headphones.

This, sort of. Not sure about the open part though....

A lot of "closed" headphones are also portable which is useful in many cases.... but not really what I look for personally. If I want portable I'll go CIEM or maybe a DT1350 type on-ear. If I'm shooting for a larger, circumaural design, might as well go all the way with something huge-ish like Mad Dogs, K553 Pro, that sort of thing. That's the reason I don't own a Focal Spirit Pro - love the sound, can't handle the small cups. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #79 of 625
Just pulled the plug on the massdrop deal.  I figure for this price I may as well give them a shot, rather than regret it later.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #80 of 625
  Any idea how these could compare to the ath a900x?  Very close to jumping on these. 

I used to own the K550 and A900x. Loved the K550 but returned it because i just personally enjoyed the A900x more. I felt the soundstage was better and more 3D/immersive in the A900x whereas in the K550 it was wide but not as deep (keep in mind this is within the context of closed backs). The A900x was also a hell of a lot more musical and simply more enjoyable with everything. The K553 with the increased bass response and tamed highs compared to the K550 should make for a subjectively better, if not slightly smaller soundstage whilst also being a bit warmer and more musical than the K550. All speculation on my part of course as hardly anyone has heard the K553. I am in on the drop so will be comparing them side by side once the K553s are in hand. IMO, if you have a large head and dont mind a low clamp as well as only using them as a desktop closed back, the A900x is an outstanding headphone and punches well and truly above its price point. Its also very very good for gaming.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #81 of 625
I put in a order for these.  K550 are nice headphones and if AKG claims they solved some of the glaring problems with these, why not for $120?

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #82 of 625
Yeah I couldn't resist either. I need a pair of closed cans for late night listening.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #83 of 625
  Yeah I couldn't resist either. I need a pair of closed cans for late night listening.

I'll be making them my dedicated gaming headphones, I just bought the MSR7 and HP50 and will be keeping the HP50.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #84 of 625
Thanks for the response.  I actually have a pair of A900x. I've had them for a while, and sort of want a new closed pair just to try something new. At $120, it's hard not jump on, but I don't want to waste my money either if I end up liking the A900xs better.. Part of it is I have the AKG 701s, and I'm hesitant to go for the closed AKGs since the sound, like you said, typically isn't as 'fun' which I like my closed cans to be. Although I suppose I can just sell the AKGs if I don't like them, and I shouldn't lose much money, if any.... I have 6 hours to decide, and i'm absolutely terrible at decisions =D

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #85 of 625
Thanks for the response.  I actually have a pair of A900x. I've had them for a while, and sort of want a new closed pair just to try something new. At $120, it's hard not jump on, but I don't want to waste my money either if I end up liking the A900xs better.. Part of it is I have the AKG 701s, and I'm hesitant to go for the closed AKGs since the sound, like you said, typically isn't as 'fun' which I like my closed cans to be. Although I suppose I can just sell the AKGs if I don't like them, and I shouldn't lose much money, if any.... I have 6 hours to decide, and i'm absolutely terrible at decisions =D

Well i sold my old a900x to a close friend and 2 of my other mates bought a a900x after hearing mine so i still get to listen to them pretty much whenever i want. But honestly, if i had the option of a k553 or a900x for 120, personally id get the a900x everytime. Its judt difficult getting any headphone for a decent price in nz. Ive tried many closed backs and none have been as enjoyable for me personally as the a900x. YMMV

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #87 of 625
Placed my order. Happy to be back in audiophile territory since my hd555's cable decided to hit the dust years ago. Will hold me over as I ponder on buying some HD650's

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #88 of 625
Well, I got to try the K551 earlier just to try the fit of it (I assume it has the dimensions as the K553) and turns out it's too big to the point of sealing problems. I had the same problem with the K701 but that wasn't so bad as it's open and isn't seal reliant on my experience.

I decided to pass on this deal as my heart was towards the HD600 for $245 + $24.5 worth of Newegg points.

Travv801 Why not? They're at a bargain these days. Currently, they can be had on Newegg for $290 (plus $29 worth of points)

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #89 of 625
Well, I got to try the K551 earlier just to try the fit of it (I assume it has the dimensions as the K553) and turns out it's too big to the point of sealing problems. I had the same problem with the K701 but that wasn't so bad as it's open and isn't seal reliant on my experience.

I decided to pass on this deal as my heart was towards the HD600 for $245 + $24.5 worth of Newegg points.

Travv801 Why not? They're at a bargain these days. Currently, they can be had on Newegg for $290 (plus $29 worth of points)

RERO I have a line on a pair of 650's for about 240 shipped (used), but before I can buy them, I need to buy a portable amp and a new DAP to throw around lossless media.

As you can see, I have a little ways to go before I can properly use some 650's. :/

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #90 of 625
I loved the k550, especially for gaming, so I'm in for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back