New Radiohead On October 10th
Oct 10, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #136 of 165
Oh it's just sooooo full of that Radioheadie goodness!
eggosmile.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #137 of 165
It's a grower - it is my 2nd time through, I am at school and am listening to this during my plan period right now as I am grading papers. Their sound is really developing and maturing. I hear sprinkles of their past work throughout, but it has matured and grown a bit. Somewhat minimalistic in arrangement, but the textures of sound are very full at times. It is like a very melodic and catchy amnesiac to my ears.

The quality seems fine to me. Yes it is lossy but I highly doubt there is much degradation from the originals. I do know some studios have access to software that allows them to compress to 128 bit rate mp3 with no loss whatsoever, so I am sure their compression programs they run in their studio isn't just some generic program off the street. There are some good dynamics and the compression appears less when compared with the other nigel godrich produced albums like OK Computer. Good job guys!

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #138 of 165
how does the binaural track sound?

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #140 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Def /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh it's just sooooo full of that Radioheadie goodness!
eggosmile.gif

That it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a grower - it is my 2nd time through, I am at school and am listening to this during my plan period right now as I am grading papers. Their sound is really developing and maturing. I hear sprinkles of their past work throughout, but it has matured and grown a bit. Somewhat minimalistic in arrangement, but the textures of sound are very full at times. It is like a very melodic and catchy amnesiac to my ears.

The quality seems fine to me. Yes it is lossy but I highly doubt there is much degradation from the originals. I do know some studios have access to software that allows them to compress to 128 bit rate mp3 with no loss whatsoever, so I am sure their compression programs they run in their studio isn't just some generic program off the street. There are some good dynamics and the compression appears less when compared with the other nigel godrich produced albums like OK Computer. Good job guys!

I agree completely, on the music, and the sound. I was expecting it to sound a lot worse when I read the bitrate was going to be 160; and while it's certainly not lossless Kid A, the sound quality is, to my ears, surprisingly good for 160.

Oct 10, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #144 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you guys get the artwork with your download? I'm not seeing the artwork in iTunes....

Radiohead is not contracted with iTunes, so you will not find any RH artwork there.

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #147 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there's any official artwork out yet...
tongue.gif

You are correct. Here's something to get you by in the meantime...

[edit]that's a good link, too, rhythmicmoose![/edit]

Oct 10, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #150 of 165
My take on Radiohead - In Rainbows:

It's a very good album that I enjoyed on first listen. It didn't blow me away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as some of those albums tend to get "dull" in the long run. Instead this album is a nice balance of laid back rock and fun/dancey pop-rock. I'm once again very impressed by how Thom Yorke uses his voice more as an instrument (people might or might not like this, but he probably sounds the most "normal" on this album, as in not over-produced with digital effects).

The layering (sounds take on their own space, are softer/louder/more textured/detailed than others), and mixing in this album is just as good as past Radiohead albums and sounded sublime on my L3000s though the limitations of the CBR mp3s reared its ugly head
plainface.gif
. And the album could have done with less gain.

My favorite tracks on the album are 15 Step (what a way to start an album! Though it might have been too strong an opener as it gets progressively mellower from there on) and Weird Fishes/Arpeggi.

Overall impressed and I like it a lot more than Thom Yorke's solo album, which I was pretty disappointed with. And I'm happy I preordered the discbox set, hopefully the outtakes are just as good
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to listen to it again tonight on the K1000s, even thought it means less sleep
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back