New Radiohead On October 10th
Oct 1, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #33 of 165
Didn't Stephan King do something similar a while back with one of his books?

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #34 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilldermood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't Stephan King do something similar a while back with one of his books?

Which one of the 487 he's written was that?
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #35 of 165
These guys are awesome! Can't beat that deal, that is for sure. The pitchfork article mentioned that it would be mp3 format, so I am assuming its lossy compression. No biggy, its the music that counts, and asking only for a donation for this leak is really cool of band so big and popular.

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #37 of 165
Thx for the link golden... It doesn't answer all my questions or completely satisfy me but that's hardly your fault.
smily_headphones1.gif

It certianly is a major twist for the music industry and I don't think anyone can't fully appreciate its consequences yet. However, to speak to those that are happy with downloads only, and why someone might not be happy with the situation, my rig is CD focused, getting the files off my computer with a fancy DAC isn't an option. I just want a well-mastered normal CD. I will paid full price for that! I guess I'll start researching how to do audiophile grade cd burning here on head-fi.. Even in the best possible scenario, with FLAC downloads, I still doubt they will perform to the max of my CD rig.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #38 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx for the link golden... It doesn't answer all my questions or completely satisfy me but that's hardly your fault.
smily_headphones1.gif

It certianly is a major twist for the music industry and I don't think anyone can't fully appreciate its consequences yet. However, to speak to those that are happy with downloads only, and why someone might not be happy with the situation, my rig is CD focused, getting the files off my computer with a fancy DAC isn't an option. I just want a well-mastered normal CD. I will paid full price for that! I guess I'll start researching how to do audiophile grade cd burning here on head-fi.. Even in the best possible scenario, with FLAC downloads, I still doubt they will perform to the max of my CD rig.

A standalone CD is coming out, just not until 2008. The best sounding Radiohead is, in my opinion, the LP releases (except for the Bends, the CD wins here). Hail To The Thief and Ok Computer sound fantastic on vinyl. Hopefully "In Rainbows" will continue the tradition of great Radiohead vinyl. The vinyl is one of the reasons why I bought the Discbox.

I'm sure that FLAC versions of the two discs in the discbox will show up on torrent sites soon after the physical copies get mailed out.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #39 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even in the best possible scenario, with FLAC downloads, I still doubt they will perform to the max of my CD rig.

This doesn't make any sense: FLAC is a lossless compression format, so it is an 1 to 1 copy of the 0s and 1s on the CD. Unless you think that the physical medium itself produces audible changes in sound. Burning a CD from FLAC files ripped from the original CD should produce no difference if both CDs are played from the same CD player.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #40 of 165
great news!

I'll definitely grab the digital download for a dollar or two just to show support for the distribution idea. If the album is good enough to warrant $81.77 for the discbox, then I'll do that down the line
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully a few more large, well known acts will do stuff like this in the future to push the industry in new directions.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #42 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This doesn't make any sense: FLAC is a lossless compression format, so it is an 1 to 1 copy of the 0s and 1s on the CD. Unless you think that the physical medium itself produces audible changes in sound. Burning a CD from FLAC files ripped from the original CD should produce no difference if both CDs are played from the same CD player.

There's no friggn way I'm going to get into this debate in this thread. Please lets just drop it.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #43 of 165
I think it's great that Radiohead are doing it this way - it's both very groundbreaking business-wise, and very generous to their fans. Plus, it's been confirmed that they have not and will not release any promo copies of the album, meaning that it will not leak early, and everyone on the planet will be hearing it for the first time on October 10 (OK, except for the band, and their wives or whoever demanded to hear it early). But still, this is kinda cool. As for me, I'll be tossing a few bucks their way for the download, then buying the CD when it comes out next year. The discbox is a bit rich for my blood, unfortunately...

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #45 of 165
I would think that Discbox would ultimately become a big eBay item, because it must be inherently limited ... probably to one production run, given the coordination of book, CD and vinyl production on a single product. I think that it's good value for money for what it is, but I'm not sure that I want to have to find room in my house for a big package that I'll possibly never (physically) play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back