New Questyle M12 Portable Headphone Amp/DAC---$139.99!
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #31 of 60
I like mine so far a lot. Neutral, detailed, wide and punchy is what i'm hearing. Pretty nice for the price. Also, no problems with volume matching at all.

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #32 of 60
I like mine so far a lot. Neutral, detailed, wide and punchy is what i'm hearing. Pretty nice for the price. Also, no problems with volume matching at all.
I concur: "for the price" it's pretty nice !
Also, no "volume" matching issues either although I do confirm some imperfect biasing, happening on quite "uncommon" drivers only though (E5000, SRH1540 for now)

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #33 of 60
Just listened to the M12 today with three different IEMs, each of varying sensitivity… 64 Audio custom A12, 64 Audio Nio, and Vision Ears EVE20. Source was an iPad Pro M1, tracks were Apple Lossless and Amazon Music HD.

Gentlemen, we can discuss the semantics of my earlier statements all day, but overall, my session bears out my suspicion… in spite of it’s tiny size, the device was clearly not built with IEMs in mind. Way, way, WAY too much horsepower on tap... despite the fact that the low gain indicator dutifully lit for each earphone. Even with Sound Check on, volume buttons were a no-go, as anything over 2 clicks was brain-meltingly loud… I had to manually bring up the volume slider and painstakingly adjust for each album… A fraction of a millimeter too far to the right was enough to shatter ear drums. Simply too much of a hassle.

I can’t confirm the rfi-pickup issues, but I’ll take Hooga’s word for it.

I’ll say it again, this thing is TINY, and purely from a form factor standpoint, it is a natural fit for someone wanting to carry a small and lightweight kit consisting of a micro DAC and IEMs. It is idiotic that they have stuck a nuclear reactor inside the thing so it can power a 600Ohm Beyer DT 880 at the expense of IEM usability.

And I’m only half-kidding there- I seriously think it probably could power the 880. Or, say, an Ohio class attack sub. Whatever’s clever.

Look, I’m not saying people don’t go portable with full size cans. I have been known to lug my (albeit easily drivable) Focal Stellia with me to a certain particularly quiet cafe. I’m not saying there isn’t a market for portable Amp/DACs designed around the amping needs of power-hungry full-size headphones. But does every new product need to be this?

Even one literally the size of four peas lined up on a plate?

If I’m lugging full-size cans around already, then packing my Mojo or Diablo isn’t going to kill me.

Come on manufacturers… enough already. Make a tiny USB device with great file unpacking ability that is designed around IEMs. Just f__ing one. I’m begging you.
You tried the Violectric Chronos? Might be what you’re after. I’m using it with an iPhone 12 mini and B&W P7s - not iems obviously but high sensitivity/low impedance dynamic driver headphones so maybe similar power requirements and it doesn’t drain much battery.

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #34 of 60
edit:

just bite the bullet and finally got myself the Questyle M12,
i noticed that everytime i connect the device to my pc or android, there is some noise like clicking relay sound on the right channel, also if i didnt play any audio content, there also this noise on the right channel, it sounds like the amplifier or dac is switching on or off or standby but more noticeable on the right channel,

is this normal or do i get a "lemon"? :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #35 of 60
4. I "played" with M12 only limitedly yet but my opinion is that its limitations about biasing low impedance & sensitivity loads (eg E5000) are more on the output impedance matching then anything else. I didn't yet, but I'll see if I can try later today what happens by putting an IEMatch inbetween the M12 and the E5000. Chances are E5000 gets biased much better. Will post back in case.
Hi Hooga, are there any news about the IEMatching with the M12? Did it work out as expected?

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #36 of 60
Just to be clear, the review that specifically mentions it being a "battery hog" immediately follows that up with "I have not faced any compatibility issues myself and it has been perfect from day one but in your system may turn out otherwise especially in old hardware." This begs the question, did that reviewer experience a significantly greater power draw or not? Some clarification might be needed there.

I think that Questyle did make some effort to address that, by trying to scale output power, based on detected impedance. They state on their site:

So if you'll be driving low-impedance high-sensitivity IEMs, I don't think you'll be impacted too heavily in terms of power draw. For my Westone ES80 (80Ω/111dB), the M12 runs in high-gain mode all the time (red LED), and yet I'm not noticing egregious power draw when listening. Using my phone to reply to a few Slack/Discord messages, especially in daylight conditions where my phone's brightness ramps up, taxes my battery far more than the M12 does.

I don't believe that's what @Hooga said. He pointed out that with IEMs that are lower in both impedance and sensitivity - in other words, with less-sensitive IEMs - the M12 may not be delivering enough power output to drive them properly... which is an ironic fail of the automatic impedance-detection feature. Please correct me if I've misunderstood you Hooga?
This. Those that find it's pulling a lot of battery for their power hungry headphones are also liking it for this very reason. For those with more efficient, lower impedance devices, the battery draw will be significantly lower. It's not only for portable use and will drive full size headphones better than other similar units from a PC.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #38 of 60
That definitely doesn't sound right. I'd simply get it exchanged, and not even try to diagnose it.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #39 of 60
Hi Hooga, are there any news about the IEMatching with the M12? Did it work out as expected?

OK I finally had some time to do this test and no, the situation with IEMatch is even worse. Fundamentally IEMatch's attenuation sucks M12's current dry too soon. This happens both on High and Ultra setting. Bottomline: M12 + E5000 is a no-no.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #41 of 60
The clicking issue with iOS devices is a firmware bug, and the latest firmware update fixes it. I’m still rather peeved at having to buy a windows emulator to download it on a Mac, though (especially as Questyle are apparently connected to Foxconn, who are Apple’s contract manufacturers)…😀

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #42 of 60
The clicking issue with iOS devices is a firmware bug, and the latest firmware update fixes it. I’m still rather peeved at having to buy a windows emulator to download it on a Mac, though (especially as Questyle are apparently connected to Foxconn, who are Apple’s contract manufacturers)…😀
Thanks for the info, I'll try that!

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #43 of 60
Would also have been nice not to have to buy a Lightning cable separately!

BTW, it works very well with the Final Heaven V (anyone else still using them?).

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #44 of 60
Would also have been nice not to have to buy a Lightning cable separately!

I agree that would have been kind, but it's totally understandable why they didn't. Apple's version of OTG includes the additional cost of their chipset, so it's not a simple cable/adapter include. And when we consider that iOS holds less than 25% market share globally, I can understand the decision to not throw in a relatively pricey accessory that will - in all probability - not be used. :relaxed:

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #45 of 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back