new quest: the search for the best rock headgear (up to 1000$)
Apr 17, 2007 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

fp581

100+ Head-Fier
hi all I am searching for the best headphones for rock & pop (mostly rock)
the budget is 1000$ (I need a portable headphones for my iPod)
and for an amp wale it depends on the type of phones
for example if its ue-10 pro there is no need for an amp but if its w5000 there is a need for an amp
and yes the amp is included in the budget

thx for all the help in advance
280smile.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 27
I think Grado SR225 for ROCK,POP and maybe portable will fit the needs. Other than that AKG K26P or Koss KSC75 for portable isn't that bad at all, IMO. As for the amp, I would take a look at Mapletree Tube amp.
Of course you can buy RS1 as well, but I wouldn't do it. Buy an portable amp as well, PA2V2 works fine with SR225 and the others to.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 27
Since you are asking for a portable set, I would shy away from Grado's since they are open. If you don't have an issue with that I would get RS-2's ($350 used) + PA2V2 ($50) or Go-vibe ($50) or any other pocket amp such as the hornet, micro dot, etc. If you need something that will be durable but not necessarily closed, the SR-225's ($200) as mentioned above will do you well.

If you will be using them where portability is the best I can tell you that I really like my ER-4P's + CMOY. Since your budget is better, I can only mention that many people recommend the E500 as a great all around performer. That and a pocket amp (same ones as above) should be an amazing setup. Some find the ER-4P's uninvolving as they are very neutral headphones. In that price range, the more exciting Super.fi 5's come to mind, but I've auditioned them and found them to be a little too bass heavy and muddy for my tastes.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 27
Way to be portable, Redo.
tongue.gif

Darth Beyers + Tomahawk or Supermicro?

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 27
the question to the OP is: where will he/she be using the headphones? at work? commute? plane? library?

since he/she asked about the w5000s, he might not care about full sized headphones... so i'm assuming he/she will be using them stationary for the most part.

just get an e500 without an amp first and see if you like it. save yourself some cash along the way too
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 27
Definitely you want IEM's then. E500 + amp would be the way to go with that budget.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 27
UE-10's are better indeed.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 27
Nah, it shouldn't be a problem. Most people don't hear much above that range, anyways. So, if you're looking for a portable set-up, basically what you need is a pair UE-10 Pros and an RSA Tomahawk; 1200 dollars well spent in my opinion.
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 27
I'm not a big fan of the ue10 for rock music. Overall, it's a great iem but seems to be lacking for faster rock music. The electric guitars are too smooth and the bass doesn't have enough punch. I am currently using it straight out of an ipod.

I used them before with SR-71 and it didn't improve them for rock music. I'll give them a try with some other portable amps at the National Meet. The only amp that made them sound pretty good with rock was the HR-2 but that's a home amp.

I gave the Westone 3 a listen back in Jan. and thought that was a little better suited for rock. Still too neutral for my taste but the electric guitars sounded better to me. Not sure when they're going to be on sale. I'll give them another listen at the meet. They might have changed their sound from the prototype I heard.

If you can use open phones that leak sound in and out, Grados are the way to go. I use SR-60 for the office and prefer it to the ue10. For outside and the bus/plane, the ue10 are much better. I tried the Grados on the bus once and realized it was a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back