New PS3 Slim can bitstream audio
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
baxbunny - do me a favor, what speakers are you using get me something, at least pictures? also briefly describe the room this is all being setup in.

I can't even find what model or anything the two speakers are, they're that old. They were bought before Bose became all popular (over 20 years ago) It's a floor standing bose speaker about 3.5 feet tall. rectangular prism. Dimension of speaker: 3x1x1 feet. They have built in subs in them as well. The infiniti center speaker is old as well, i woudl say its a mid ranged center speaker. I'll try to get model numbers from nameplates or something when i get home. The two back speakers are generic bookshelf speakers.

The room is big. Its an open area so the room is actually the same room as the dining room and the front foyer. the home theatre area is about 15feet front-back by 10feet left right. with a 20 foot ceiling. Inclduing the dining area it would be teh same 15 feet front-back, but over 40 feet left right. I don't know how much this helps, hopefully it does .. heh

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #48 of 52
PS3 bought two months after the europe launch is very loud indeed. It might stay relatively quiet for a while, but after a hour of playing, the fan is going full speed, like a jet-engine. Xbox 360 i bought at December 2008 is a lot quieter, not quiet enough though.

These un-scientific videos(and posts) about Slim being quiet dont prove anything. They put a game in and play for a minute and conclude "Its silent, buy it now!"
What about playing for a couple of hours and seeing how quiet it is then?
Or after a few months, when the fan and inners are covered in dust, which you cannot clean without taking the console apart. This kind of manufacturer fanboyism is guite a odd trend today.

What iam interest in, does the slim have better analog output? Maybe even dedicated DAC this time? Because PS3 analog output pretty much sucks. Id be happy to hear anyones opinions on this one or if slim owners could test it out?

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #49 of 52
The PS3 Slim can't play back SACDs (to be fair, several other PS3 models since the launch models cannot play SACDs either.)

If it's a choice between lossless unpacking of DTS-MA + DDM to PCM and the inability to play SACDs, I'll take the former anyday. Still loving my launch PS3, now with a much bigger HD.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PS3 Slim can't play back SACDs (to be fair, several other PS3 models since the launch models cannot play SACDs either.)

Yeah but does anyone really use a PS3 to listen to SACDs?

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but does anyone really use a PS3 to listen to SACDs?

I originally was irritated by this too, but the thing is, I own like 6 SACDs...and not likely to buy more, so it was more of a "feature" thing...

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I originally was irritated by this too, but the thing is, I own like 6 SACDs...and not likely to buy more, so it was more of a "feature" thing...

I keep being tempted to pick up a few SACDs to play on my 1st Gen PS3 but then the bother of hooking the PS3 up to the headphone rig coupled with the high price of SACDs further tempered by the probability of not hearing any difference keeps the temptation at bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back