New PS3 Slim can bitstream audio
Aug 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 52
Wow, I had no idea that Sony was still pushing the PS2 or that developers were still making games for it.

I binned my PS2 ages ago for a first Gen PS3 and recently got the 40GB non sacd playing PS3 for the bedroom instead of a Blu-Ray player.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the biggest reason for the elimination of PS2 game compatibility in current PS3s is that Sony continues to sell the PS2 console to this day

Can you prove that this is THE biggest?

A huge reason for software emulation and then removal was to reduce the over all cost of the unit.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 52
Its a nice touch but overall its still a far inferior machine compared to the first gen PS3's.

LPCM works fine for me aswell, so what if the light on my amp doesn't light up, after all its the sound that counts
popcorn.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 52
Like anyone can hear the difference between DD / DTS HD and LPCM with that leafblower of a fan going on the PS3. If it's actually QUIET this time I might get one. BLU-RAY with fan noise = Fail

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 52
bit-streaming audio is redundant to me, why do I care who converts the lossless to lpcm? it has no advantages unless some proprietary dsp action exists in a pre/pro, receiver that requires receiving DTS/DD. The only examples I know of in regards to applying DSP to HD audio is Meridian and McIntosh, and maybe the AVP-A1HDCI(A) from Denon? it's a moot point thou, as sending them lpcm will get you the same results (room acoustics, etc) Bit-streaming allows for more channels than LPCM over hdmi, as a matter of bandwidth - seriously thou, we're barely making good use of 7.1

the revolution happened, and that is supplying a format that allows for high resolution audio - the mastering and engineering is another matter, but this change is uninteresting on the heels of the price drop.

well, maybe it isn't? maybe there is some larger brand recognition or marketing philosophy at work?

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like anyone can hear the difference between DD / DTS HD and LPCM with that leafblower of a fan going on the PS3. If it's actually QUIET this time I might get one. BLU-RAY with fan noise = Fail

PS3 standing tall with ventilation = silent. You're not sticking that thing in a corner underneath your dirty laundry, are you?

oooo epic fail!111~

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS3 standing tall with ventilation = silent. You're not sticking that thing in a corner underneath your dirty laundry, are you?

oooo epic fail!111~

rolleyes.gif
Don't be silly now.

Maybe I just have more sensitive ears, or have higher standards, but I tried 3 Different PS3 (60GB, 40GB and 80GB - newest model until now) Upright sideways, you name it.. all very well ventilated, not enclosed at all.. and they ALL made enough fan noise to be intrusive from 9ft away. Maybe I just have more sensitive ears..
I know I'm not the only one who can hear the fan on PS3's. Google it and you'll find its a common complaint. What's the point of 120+db of dynamic range on the audio if the player's running at 60+db of fan noise.?

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #23 of 52
Anytime I see something summed as = Fail it brings back floods of internet memes, none of which I can respond to without being silly.

Also, be careful with the my ears are more sensitive to your ears, we all know in audio circles that's akin to saying "my junk, it's -HUGE-".
wink.gif
I will say that when I power the thing on, I can hear the HD clicking more than the fan. I guess the nice thing about HDMI is you can buy a 100ft cable for 80 USD and stick the thing anywhere you want (I've got my 360 and PS3 in an adjacent room / closet.) Keeping in mind that nothing compares to the whisper quiet acoustics of a 360..

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True it can be a bit noticeable especially during quiet parts of films, but compared to the last jet engined xbox 360 i had, its a vast improvement.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #26 of 52
Ok - we're not talking about a DAC here, we're talking about a very simple algorithm that turns a losslessly compressed data stream into the language of DACs - LPCM / I2S(in the situation that a dsp is feeding a dac directly, depending on circuit, blah blah) in our case it's just LPCM so if the PS3 sends a encrypted compressed version over hdmi, or it sends a decoded stream - the end result is going to be the same. exact. thing. This isn't SPDIF hdmi is an entirely different beast.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anytime I see something summed as = Fail it brings back floods of internet memes, none of which I can respond to without being silly.

Also, be careful with the my ears are more sensitive to your ears, we all know in audio circles that's akin to saying "my junk, it's -HUGE-".
wink.gif
I will say that when I power the thing on, I can hear the HD clicking more than the fan. I guess the nice thing about HDMI is you can buy a 100ft cable for 80 USD and stick the thing anywhere you want (I've got my 360 and PS3 in an adjacent room / closet.) Keeping in mind that nothing compares to the whisper quiet acoustics of a 360..

Ahh, well if I wanted to keep it in a separate room then that might be different.. but I want my Blu-Ray player in the same room as, and underneath my TV, and the fact that it's too noisy to do that is a major flaw. There's a part of me that wishes I could just filter out the fan noise, as any kind of background noise drives me batty, I returned my first Plasma TV as the PSU was too noisy, and I can hear the trickling of water in my drainpipes after it rains here. Hyperensitivity, or the inability to filter certain frequencies out is more of a curse than a blessing believe me. Don't get me started on the buzz fluorescent tubes make.
frown.gif

Back on topic.. I suppose the main LPCM / Bitstream issue is for people who want to use all the fancy DSP modes on their reciever. Some apparently don't allow the DSP to be used on LPCM streams as opposed to streams decoded in the reciever. Of course then you have to add in the "interactive" elements (commentaries/BD live content etc) that may not be at the same bitrate as the Soundtrack anyway.. I'm wondering if they're up-sampled and mixed live into a DD True HD / DTS MA HD stream. Seems Unlikely. So Theoretically the LPCM is the preferred option, assuming the AV Reciever is capable of all it's little tricks on the LPCM stream.

It's complicated, but this is a pretty good summary.

Edit: Some Crazy devil has already taken his Slim PS3 apart!. Good news is he says its a lot quieter too.. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=102393

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #28 of 52
Yikes - while I appreciate the kids' enthusiasm, hold the camera still and focus! Those remind me of the original camera shots of the ps3 slim leak from taiwan.

I suppose I'll concede on the fan noise, I've never noticed it being loud then again it's in another room. I'm sure at some point someone will design an integrated solution for decoding lossless HD that requires DD TrueHD or DTS MA (i'm going to go with hmm, lets guess licensing), buuuut until then, bollocks.

We're playing noises that bother us? Ok, classic - the hum that tube TVs make on, or off. Microwave ovens in other people's houses - those noises that travel through walls and stone.

by the way - your owl looks upset, or maybe bored?

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #29 of 52
I think he's feeling a bit jaded. Oh well off to costco next week too see how noisy they are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back