New PS3 Slim can bitstream audio
Aug 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #32 of 52
I love my PS3s but the fan on them is out of control noisy!
You kind of get used to the noise but if I fall asleep with the bedroom PS3 on I'll have to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off so I can sleep better.
frown.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #33 of 52
It's all so random, some say they can't hear their PS3 at all, others say it's noisy as hell.. I've yet to meet anyone who claims theirs is quiet in person. I'd put a lot of it down to different persons tolerance for noise, and what is acceptable in a home theater/games component. Fingers crossed Sony got it right this time. Then I can convinve the wife we need a new reciever, and a new 1080P Led Backlit LCD.. ahh one can dream..

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #34 of 52
I've thinking on this for a while - I believe in this case it's not about db's or volume, I think it's a mental tick / annoyance. Example; I cannot stand hearing people blink the poping noise or clacking / slap noise just drives me up the wall, I can hear my wife blink in the kitchen when I'm trying to take a nap in the living room. Fan noise, doesn't bother me - not at these volumes anyway. Remember this isn't a high speed fan, it's a low rpm - 70mm (i'm guessing, I can't remember but that sounds right-ish).

Also - food for thought, it might be sony's intention to bitstream in order to keep the unit cooler - if you're just copying data from a disc, and basically stream it to the TV / receiver / pre/pro it might be using so much less processing power that it makes a difference? I say this assuming you have 1080p out, and the PS3 doesn't have to reprocess the video to 720p, etc.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've thinking on this for a while - I believe in this case it's not about db's or volume, I think it's a mental tick / annoyance. Example; I cannot stand hearing people blink the poping noise or clacking / slap noise just drives me up the wall, I can hear my wife blink in the kitchen when I'm trying to take a nap in the living room. Fan noise, doesn't bother me - not at these volumes anyway. Remember this isn't a high speed fan, it's a low rpm - 70mm (i'm guessing, I can't remember but that sounds right-ish).

Also - food for thought, it might be sony's intention to bitstream in order to keep the unit cooler - if you're just copying data from a disc, and basically stream it to the TV / receiver / pre/pro it might be using so much less processing power that it makes a difference? I say this assuming you have 1080p out, and the PS3 doesn't have to reprocess the video to 720p, etc.

I'll assume you're joking about the blinking.. its a 95 mm fan now aparrently

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #36 of 52
Just bought a ps3 slim. Anyone have suggestions on what kind of amp / receiver i should get for best "home theatre" sound? I have a 5.1 set up right now with a denon receive, but the denon receiver is old and doenst have hdmi inputs for sound or anything, so i'm using optical digital.
what kind of receiver would benefit the most from the new bitstreaming hd dts etc?

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #37 of 52
budget? do you have any used hifi stores in your area? what kind of speakers do you have? do you have a large enough room to actually benefit from surround, or is it more or less a lets just get these speakers powered up with new lossless sound?

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

budget? do you have any used hifi stores in your area? what kind of speakers do you have? do you have a large enough room to actually benefit from surround, or is it more or less a lets just get these speakers powered up with new lossless sound?

budget= the best i can get for as little possible? haha? prob around 300-700 range.
there are a few hifi stores around, i'm in canada mind u, so a "few" here is probably less than a "few" in the states.
the room is big, probably too big.. with an open ceiling that goes up 20 ft or more. (living room with no second floor above it)
right now i have very very very old bose tower speakers (over 20 years old) and an infiniti centre speaker. with two no name bookshelf speakers as rear speakers. i dont know model names.
but yea basically what can i do to get it set up with lossless sound!

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 52
where? all bestbuys are selling them, as well as gamestops, etc - there wasn't a "sale-date" for the ps3 slim, so anyone that gets them in stock can sell them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxbunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
budget= the best i can get for as little possible? haha? prob around 300-700 range.
there are a few hifi stores around, i'm in canada mind u, so a "few" here is probably less than a "few" in the states.
the room is big, probably too big.. with an open ceiling that goes up 20 ft or more. (living room with no second floor above it)
right now i have very very very old bose tower speakers (over 20 years old) and an infiniti centre speaker. with two no name bookshelf speakers as rear speakers. i dont know model names.
but yea basically what can i do to get it set up with lossless sound!

Give me a bit and I'll offer a few suggestions. Buying used for home theater for higher end product from last year is a bang up way to get into hifi home theater on the cheap - recievers are updated yearly so "old" tech gets heavy discounts, rapidly.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

where? all bestbuys are selling them, as well as gamestops, etc - there wasn't a "sale-date" for the ps3 slim, so anyone that gets them in stock can sell them.

Give me a bit and I'll offer a few suggestions. Buying used for home theater for higher end product from last year is a bang up way to get into hifi home theater on the cheap - recievers are updated yearly so "old" tech gets heavy discounts, rapidly.

thanks so much! i look forward to seeing the response!

as for where, I bought mine at HMV here in Canada. (Its basically a cd movie and games store) but they were sold out at gamestop/ebgames, best buy, futureshop, so i opted to impulse buy it at HMV. same price everywhere.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #45 of 52
Best Buy is being accommodating to those who bought a PS3 Just outside of the 30 day price guarantee. I don't know how far they will go but I bought my PS3 37 days before the price changed. They gave me the price difference in store credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back