[new project] The BIY ("Buy It Yourself") High End DAC
Feb 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atchoum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...again...

ok i've got the psus right, every part has the correct voltage.... but when i plug the board on my transport (sb3) i can't get it to output any kind of noise...

the receiver lights seems to be unable to lock on the stream... blinking and shutting down from times to times...

The DIY path isn't as easy as it seams most times...
Why don't you give it a try with other sources that you might have, like a dvd player for example.
Maybe on the other hand the cable is the problem, is it a real 75 Ohm cable?
I hope to everything work out right at the end.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #32 of 45
Yes the cable is a true 75ohm one (Blue Jean Cable). I do not have any other spdif source at home...Still investigating...
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Yes the cable is a true 75ohm one (Blue Jean Cable). I do not have any other spdif source at home...Still investigating...
frown.gif

Any news?
Did you manage to find any other spdif source?

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #34 of 45
no other source yet. I've got to reach my old optical to spdif converter to try my cdp as a digital source.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #35 of 45
Hi
I was looking at the Sonic2 user manual.

So, the "audio stream lock" LED is blinking?

Did you check and make sure all the configuration jumpers are in the right places? Pages 33 and 34 showed how it is supposed to be. I know it is supposed to be the default, but it does not hurt to check.

If your SB3 is working with you other DAC, it should work with this one too, so I would be surprised if another source acted differently.

Good luck,
Randy

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cauhtemoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DIR9001 uses PLL to lock on to the incoming signal, a fairly standard PLL at that. This is the same methods as used by most other SPDIF recievers, including the CS8416. I will not go into how a PLL works, you have to read up on this yourself. The DIR9001 have an intrinsic jitter of 50 ps. That is, when it is fed a perfectly clean and jitter free signal, the output will have some 50 ps of jitter added by the PLL.

snip.......

The WM8804 is different. Rather than using an normal PLL, it uses a fractional-N PLL locked on to an external crystal. The speed of this PLL is adjusted by a second, digital control loop which then recovers the data. This offers far superior jitter rejection. So good in fact that unless the PLL looses lock, the output jitter will be almost indistinguishable from the intrinsic jitter of the PLL.

TI tried that approach in the ill-fated DIR170x series. Maybe Wolfson will have better luck.

Anything has to be easier to use than a '8416. To say nothing of their idiotic front-end design. At least TI has enough sense to tell you in the data sheet that you need an external amplifier before the chip.

(How many times, over how many years have I been saying that? No one seems to listen.)

Jocko

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocko Homo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TI tried that approach in the ill-fated DIR170x series. Maybe Wolfson will have better luck.

Anything has to be easier to use than a '8416. To say nothing of their idiotic front-end design. At least TI has enough sense to tell you in the data sheet that you need an external amplifier before the chip.

(How many times, over how many years have I been saying that? No one seems to listen.)

Jocko

It seems to be the approach used in DIX4392 as well. Do you have any more detail on this part's performance? I've got a couple laying around I might try implementing...

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #38 of 45
ok the project is on hold for a moment...

- i sent back the anagram eval board since i found no way to make it output any sound...

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

- i sent back the anagram eval board since i found no way to make it output any sound...

Man that sucks. Do you suspect that there is something wrong with it or its just very hard to get it working?

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

That is really bad.
Anagram recently suspended the online store and redirects to
abc-pcb.com that I assume it was the manufacturer of the evaluation
boards. The problem is that they (abc-pcb) don't reply to emails...
DIY is the hard way after all...

Good luck Atchoum

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #41 of 45
Dear Atchoum
I wish to accomplish a dac with Anagram S2 and I've seen your thread on this website. How does your DAC sound? Did you finish it and find problems during the realization?
thank you
Ecodoppler

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecodoppler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Atchoum
I wish to accomplish a dac with Anagram S2 and I've seen your thread on this website. How does your DAC sound? Did you finish it and find problems during the realization?
thank you
Ecodoppler

If you had read the thread, you would have seen this:

Quote:

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #43 of 45
Hi
Yes, but the project is on hold since March 2008; it's impossible. I've sent an email to Mr Lavanchy of ABC PCB to request their price list:the Edel Fs kit costs 275 euro and Edel S2 kit 545 euro.
regards
Ecodoppler

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, it seems like an R2R DAC like the PCM1704, a resistor I/V stage, and a tube or transformer output stage is the best.

Bingo, add a PDM100 filter and use a SE tube stage (no SRRP) and you have it. I have a design (posted here somewhere) that you can add to the D1 clone that is fantastic. avoid the new DAC chips and opamp outouts like the plague

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #45 of 45
Bingo, add a PDM100 filter and use a SE tube stage (no SRRP) and you have it. I have a design (posted here somewhere) that you can add to the D1 clone that is fantastic. avoid the new DAC chips and opamp outouts like the plague

Could you post schematics of your project and/or photos?

thank you

Ecodoppler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back