New Products from Wyred 4 Sound at RMAF
Oct 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #31 of 55
Better hard drive integration. One limitation of most computer based 'servers' I see is having to either have an external enclosure (or what not), etc to get the amount of space you get from a server. It's all managed well and in once place with a music server. Granted this is something you can do with a computer based set up no doubt but it's much more trouble that way. 

Plus...you can just stick a music server on the same rack as the rest of your gear and be good to go. Not the easiest thing to do with a computer. 

A Mac Mini based 'server' was something I had considered before but the biggest limitation is hard drive space. Most people that use servers have 4-5tb of music files and that's a lot harder to manage once you go over maybe 2 at this time in technology.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Apple actually makes a Remote app that works well with iPhone and even better with an iPad. Control your entire library directly from your iDevice. 

There are also trackpad apps if you literally want full control.

Thanks for that MorbidToaster! I will check it out. In that case, I would rather go with a full IMac as a music server. Or for a small form factor, maybe a Mac mini?

But I doubt W4S's product has no benefits on top of a Mac mini setup. Maybe i can't see it. Can anyone point me to the additional benefit of using a dedicated music server?

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #32 of 55
Another reason is the dedicated nature of a music server, be it a Linux box or a MacMini which is truly dedicated to the task. (see www.mach2music.com)  by stripping out extraneous computer services, and maximizing the digital output (I2S in the W4S case) detectable improvement is found. 

My impression is that the W4Smusic server is that is a vortex box device. The whole thing is "non-computerish". You just plug is in, and load up the hard disk with either your music from a USB drive / network, or just feed in your CDs, it will automatically rip, and store in whatever formats you set it up for, tagging is automagic.  It is viewed as an "appliance" not a "computer", which scares some folks off.

The dedicated boxes consistently get better reviews.

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #33 of 55
Thanks MorbidToaster and Bones13! I've got to get me an audition with one of these servers. This is exciting for me as I am building a new home soon and would like to get the infrastructure for my homes's audio needs all well planned out before the contractors start work.

Lots to learn from you guys!!:)

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #34 of 55
http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/612512

The new integrated amp has a headphone jack.  I would LOVE to review this unit not just for it's ability to drive speakers but to hear how it performs as a headphone amp.   I don't need the DAC inside it though.  I wish it was optional with a lower price without the DAC.

From the W4S website.
"A ¼” headphone jack is machined into the left had side of the front panel. When a headphone plug is inserted into the jack it will mute the other outputs (other than the Fixed outputs) regardless of the input selected or volume level. The performance of the built-in headphone amp is nothing short of impressive. Independent power supplies for exceptionally low channel crosstalk, low noise and an abundance of dynamic range make for true hi fidelity headphone experience."

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #35 of 55
I would love to give it a shot powering my speakers. It's a much more attractive and modern unit than my old Pioneer I'm using now. I'd take full advantage of the DAC though in my living room as well. I want my main listening station at my desk, so I'd need a DAC in there as well. This unit if officially on my list. 

I noticed it on their site when looking into the DAC-1 again. For the price it seems like an excellent unit. I was set on a Zodiac, but the more and more I look at them the more and more I seem to have trouble justifying the price.

EDIT: 4000

Quote:
The new integrated amp has a headphone jack.  I would LOVE to review this unit not just for it's ability to drive speakers but to hear how it performs as a headphone amp.   I don't need the DAC inside it though.  I wish it was optional with a lower price without the DAC.

From the W4S website.
"A ¼” headphone jack is machined into the left had side of the front panel. When a headphone plug is inserted into the jack it will mute the other outputs (other than the Fixed outputs) regardless of the input selected or volume level. The performance of the built-in headphone amp is nothing short of impressive. Independent power supplies for exceptionally low channel crosstalk, low noise and an abundance of dynamic range make for true hi fidelity headphone experience."

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #36 of 55
I'm also waiting to see a little data on what the Server can do.   

although I have not heard the DAC-1 I would not buy it over the DAC-2.  The DAC-2 has a superior analog output which is something you can have put into the DAC-1 as an option.  I know at least one person who has done that but after paying for that option you might as well go the extra bit and get the DAC-2.

apparently the mINT is way smaller than I first realized. "we couldn’t help but laugh about the versatility that this sleek box would provide with a footprint slightly larger than a DVD case."   That seems pretty small.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #38 of 55
This looks good for an "almost" all in one box! PC to the mINT and it should power both speakers and headphones. Am really looking forward to reviews of its sound once it starts reaching the hands of members here :)

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #39 of 55
Yeah it's vintage (not a nice 70s one, but vintage enough). It's a 200 WPC SX-255R. Plenty of power but the sound is mediocre and it's just big and beat up. If I could get my 2238 restored cheap I'd use that, but it needs some work too. 

EDIT: Yeah, DAC-2 all the way. I thought I'd gone over the specs and weighed them pretty well, but your info and this little bugger right here '24-bit 192kHz Asynchronous USB input' sold me on it.

Quote:
Which Pioneer are you using?  Is it vintage?

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #41 of 55
Nope, just dac.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #44 of 55

LCD-3? Theres no volume nob or form to control it? Oh wait...Your talking about the W4S DAC2 right?...lol sorry noob move...lol
Quote:
Depending on the amount of power you cans need your can use the output of the DAC-2 to drive your cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back