New Products from Wyred 4 Sound at RMAF
Dec 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #46 of 55

Quote:
There is a volumn control on this dac...Gah!  Im looking at the dac2.  Thanks for the advice !

Before I bought my V200 I used the output of the DAC-2 to drive the LCD-2's.  I had Blue Jean Cables make an adapter for the RCA outs which was suggested to me by W4S.  I should have used the XLR outs instead because they put out more power.  It was not optimal for the LCD's but it got me thru the period until my V200 arrived.  It did work very well for my daughter Audio Technica ATH AD700's and her Grado 80i's.   Sometime I grab the DAC-2 and move it from the headphone rig into my home theater to watch high def files at night.  When I do that I use the DAC-2 outs to drive the 700's.  I'll go optical out of a WD HD player or my Bluray into the DAC-2 then out of the DAC-2 RCA out into the cable adapter and into the 700's.  The remote volume control is real handy for that situation.

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #47 of 55
Hmmm sounds like you use it for media.  I was wondering if it would be ok to run it from my laptop.  It does sound like it would be nice. But I think I might have to do it as you suggested, and use the XLR outs. 
L3000.gif
  I would love to use them with the LCD-3.  From the description they are a little warm.  Would you consider it as such?

Quote:

Before I bought my V200 I used the output of the DAC-2 to drive the LCD-2's.  I had Blue Jean Cables make an adapter for the RCA outs which was suggested to me by W4S.  I should have used the XLR outs instead because they put out more power.  It was not optimal for the LCD's but it got me thru the period until my V200 arrived.  It did work very well for my daughter Audio Technica ATH AD700's and her Grado 80i's.   Sometime I grab the DAC-2 and move it from the headphone rig into my home theater to watch high def files at night.  When I do that I use the DAC-2 outs to drive the 700's.  I'll go optical out of a WD HD player or my Bluray into the DAC-2 then out of the DAC-2 RCA out into the cable adapter and into the 700's.  The remote volume control is real handy for that situation.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 55

Quote:
Hmmm sounds like you use it for media.  I was wondering if it would be ok to run it from my laptop.  It does sound like it would be nice. But I think I might have to do it as you suggested, and use the XLR outs. 
L3000.gif
  I would love to use them with the LCD-3.  From the description they are a little warm.  Would you consider it as such?

I use it 90 percent from my iMac to my V200 to my LCD-2.  sometimes at night I switch it out to the home theater and switch it back in right after I'm done.  But for the most part it's connected to the iMa like this

iMac & amarra> USB W4S DAC-2>V200>LCD-2.  You can use it from your laptop for sure.

The XLR outs won't replace a dedicated amp but it will do until you get one.   Don't know about those outs with an LCD-3 .  I would imagine if your'e going LCD-3 you better get a dedicated amp to get the benefit of your investment.  No reason to go LCD-3 and not give them the dedication they need.   I don't have the LCD-3 but will be getting a loaner pair this Friday to review.   

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #49 of 55
Sounds good.  Let me know how they fair.  I wouldn't be getting them until next year after december.  But give me a heads up when you get the loaner pair.  But I'd rather have something that is a dac/amp.  People have told me the RWS are good for the LCD-3 but those are a bit out of my range. 

Quote:
I use it 90 percent from my iMac to my V200 to my LCD-2.  sometimes at night I switch it out to the home theater and switch it back in right after I'm done.  But for the most part it's connected to the iMa like this

iMac & amarra> USB W4S DAC-2>V200>LCD-2.  You can use it from your laptop for sure.

The XLR outs won't replace a dedicated amp but it will do until you get one.   Don't know about those outs with an LCD-3 .  I would imagine if your'e going LCD-3 you better get a dedicated amp to get the benefit of your investment.  No reason to go LCD-3 and not give them the dedication they need.   I don't have the LCD-3 but will be getting a loaner pair this Friday to review.   

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #50 of 55

Quote:
Sounds good.  Let me know how they fair.  I wouldn't be getting them until next year after december.  But give me a heads up when you get the loaner pair.  But I'd rather have something that is a dac/amp.  People have told me the RWS are good for the LCD-3 but those are a bit out of my range. 

Next December!  The LCD-4 will be out by then!

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:
This is nice, just saying.
http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803982

yes indeed.  lot of connectivity options too.

"Built-in ESS DAC which supports 24 bit 192 kHz on all digital inputs". 

[size=1.7em] how would I keep the signal balanced if i were connecting the W4S MPRE to a computer using a Musical Fidelity V-LINK192 USB/SPDIF Converter?  MF V-Link has 1x XLR AES/EBU Balanced Digital output while the W4S MPRE has 1 set of balanced (XLR) inputs.[/size]

May 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #54 of 55
DAC-2 looks awesome, and probably is awesome, but it also has awesome price :frowning2:

However, the uDAC from W4S is within reasonable price range (current price $400).

Is here anyone with uDAC?

So I was thinking about buying some DAC for my PC, with Audigy on board. I want to use S/PDIF, and not USB.
For example this is where WA7 would've disappointed me. I was considering V-DAC, M-Stage DAC, Quattro DAC, or Bitfrost.

Now I see there is uDAC from W4S, and this sounds tempting given that this device consists only from DAC and nothing else, and it comes from manufacturer of very good DAC products.

On their site it says "There are two S/PDIF inputs which support 24 bit 192 kHz signals as well as an asynchronous USB input for computer streaming."
Does it mean that 192kHz is the only sample rate supported by S/PDIF inputs?

They also say "We were even able to include an ESS DAC to take full advantage of the limited real-estate in this 3.5”x3.5” chassis. "
So, is the sound quality extremely good, or only good?

If you were to compare to Quattro DAC - what is your opinion?

Also Matrix guys claim that Quattro DAC has: "Top current feedback type BUFF LME49600 headphone amplifier unit, close to 0 ohms output impedance, it can drive up to 600 ohms impedance headphones easily."
So will I be able to drive HD800 from that, or LCD-2?

I found that review: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/wyred-4-sound-udac-10421/

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #55 of 55
UDAC by W4S is very versitle and as good or better sounding when using a computer with lossless tracks than any CD player I've used.
One thing I read about the mpre is that the hp out is very good. Not enough for he-6 but very good. If I had some mono amps I'd get one today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back