New Products from Wyred 4 Sound at RMAF
Oct 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 55
Thanks Maxvia!  Certainly in keeping with their established look.  I will await the final price/specs when they release it.

The server will be going for USD1,999.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310568_296544340357442_218350058176871_1174829_137464876_n.jpg

Strange. I can't really make out where the internal drive to rip CDs is located.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 55
I'd love to get all my gear on shelves with a 21" iMac in the middle acting as a music server. I've had that vision in my head for awhile. Still planning to shoot for it some day.

Quote:
$2K for a server.  I might just buy another full blown iMac instead.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 55

Quote:
I'd love to get all my gear on shelves with a 21" iMac in the middle acting as a music server. I've had that vision in my head for awhile. Still planning to shoot for it some day. 

I'm using a 24" iMac with a second screen and 4 1TB external drives but I also use the iMac for the Web, DAW work and photoshop so I'd like to get the music end over to something else.  

I wish W4S would put out something detailed about their new server because I cannot understand why any server is so expensive.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 55
I recently got a 27" iMac and use it for DAW work and Lightroom. I love it but it's not exactly practical for a server type set up. 27" is just too big. 

Quote:
I'm using a 24" iMac with a second screen and 4 1TB external drives but I also use the iMac for the Web, DAW work and photoshop so I'd like to get the music end over to something else.  

I wish W4S would put out something detailed about their new server because I cannot understand why any server is so expensive.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 55
Yes. Apple actually makes a Remote app that works well with iPhone and even better with an iPad. Control your entire library directly from your iDevice. 

There are also trackpad apps if you literally want full control.

Quote:
Quote:
$2K for a server.  I might just buy another full blown iMac instead.

Agreed.
The W4S server boasts of allowing us to use an iDevice as the remote. Are there any apps out there which will allow us to do the same while using an iMac? Or a PC?

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 55

Quote:
Yes. Apple actually makes a Remote app that works well with iPhone and even better with an iPad. Control your entire library directly from your iDevice. 

I was hoping that at $2K the server would come with some sort of remote device also, like some sort of touch device.   Although I have a hefty Mac setup I do not own an iPad  or an iPhone ( Have a 3 year old clamshell phone because I make only 3 calls a month one for chinese take out the other 2 for pizza).

So I'm still waiting to see the deep details of the W4S server.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #25 of 55
Cant say I'm not interested. A W4S product has still eluded me for awhile. I was planning on a DAC-1 before but it never panned out. They are still on a short list of companies I want to try though. 

I hardly ever make calls on my iPhone to be honest...and I use it constantly. A lot of the time for Head-fi in the down time at work. :D

The iPad Remote app is brilliant. I loved it when I had my gen 1. Sitting in my bed with my cans on my full library at my fingertips with a great interface. My actual monitor never needed to be on if all I wanted to do was listen to music. I loved it. (Not to sound like a fanboy of course). 

Quote:
I was hoping that at $2K the server would come with some sort of remote device also, like some sort of touch device.   Although I have a hefty Mac setup I do not own an iPad  or an iPhone ( Have a 3 year old clamshell phone because I make only 3 calls a month one for chinese take out the other 2 for pizza).

So I'm still waiting to see the deep details of the W4S server.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #26 of 55

Quote:

Depends on how far one wants to take things. Chris at ComputerAudiophile put together his best effort music server, didn't even boast a ROM drive, and parts still came to $1400 including operating system. So $2000....if it is built close to along the same lines, isn't completely out of line. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server-CAPS-v20

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #27 of 55
There is another company with a very similar device, including I2S for the DAC2. Almost identical specs, different case. Price is same.

Interestingly, the bryston digital player, which is an even more streamlined linux player (no internal hard disk, or CD/DVD drive for ripping) and it goes for $2500.

Nice case, some specifics still pending, while I too was hoping for a bit lower price, I mean the work miracles there don't they?  OTOH they plopped a player into the mix that matches my DAC and PRE, having similar capabilities, having I2S, iDevice remote, and is in line pricing with the others.

Looks like a good effort to me.  My decisions will include upgrading my DAC to an AudioNoteKits 4.1, and letting a dedicated server decision rest for awhile.  My current setup has my audio rack next to my desk, with easy connection to my computer.  Planning a new house, during the two years for it to be designed/built the audio server market will be more mature.

I would congratulate Wyred4Sound on picking a viable and adaptable system, an attractive new case, and what looks to be a good price point.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #28 of 55
What a price.  I don't think I could come up with the justifications necessary to spend that kind of dough on a music server.

I, like you WA, have been looking for a way to get my music off-computer but as of now the most cost effective solution I have been able to think of is to use a headless Mac Mini and the idevice remotes that MT brought up.  

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #29 of 55

Quote:
What a price.  I don't think I could come up with the justifications necessary to spend that kind of dough on a music server.

I, like you WA, have been looking for a way to get my music off-computer but as of now the most cost effective solution I have been able to think of is to use a headless Mac Mini and the idevice remotes that MT brought up.  

I'm completely ignorant and clueless in terms of music servers so I don't know what is a fair price and what is not.  I need to educate myself a great deal in this area which is why I'm afraid to spend big money at this time.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #30 of 55

Thanks for that MorbidToaster! I will check it out. In that case, I would rather go with a full IMac as a music server. Or for a small form factor, maybe a Mac mini?

But I doubt W4S's product has no benefits on top of a Mac mini setup. Maybe i can't see it. Can anyone point me to the additional benefit of using a dedicated music server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back