New Portable Amp - Simpl
Dec 2, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 19
hmm, an internal rechargeable battery requiring a hook up to usb to recharge. a mini line in - will still need a sik din to make use of the ipod line out. no specs on what's going on inside. but if it is at least at cmoy level, could be a seller. but the inflexibility of the battery is worrisome.

edit - selling for $139? Um, get a Porta Corda MKII for $120 instead in the head-fi group buy.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 19
These guys also make a line-out/Firewire adapter
http://www.sendstation.com/

The Simpl MSRP is $149.99, but as you noted, I think MacMall has them on for $139.99 ... how much of a bargain that is depends on the quality of the amp.

I'd be curious about the battery too. IF it is some proprietary thing, then that would suck, but chances are good that it's something reasonably standard for cost considerations. Therefore you'd like to think that you could probably replace it. But we won't know until it's out and someone cracks it open, or if Simpl makes some comments.

I think the Li-On technology and the USB charging is a brilliant idea.
I am however very curious about the attachment mechanism... I wonder if it is just big fat adhesive pad between the iPod and amp. It does seem to have little arms that sort of wrap partly around though..

One other concern might be - does it fit with ALL models of iPod? Because the various units over the years have had varying dimensions - particularly depth I think. They do say "all full-size iPods" mind you.

The input jack SEEMS to be on the top, which seems a little silly. It might have made more sense to put it (or a second one) on the BOTTOM of the unit presumably next to the USB charging input. Then if you did you use a Line-Out adapter on the bottom of your iPod, your cable would not have far to go.

<shrug>

We'lll hopefully see more details next week according to the website.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 19
Now if someone would make a MINT or CMOY that attaches to the bottom of the iPod (a la Pocket Dock, but larger), we'd have a winner.

A member here tried to do it but I guess development stopped.

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 19
There was an announcement of this amp on iPodlounge.com, and the designer is chiming into the comments/discussion.

I added my own question about line-out at:
Announcement/Comments page

Dec 3, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 19
this is the initial comment by the developer:

"Greetings,

My name is Jonathon Kennemer and I am the designer of the Simpl A1 Headphone Amp. To answer your question about the benefit of a headphone amp requires a somewhat technical explanation. Basically, the A1 amplifier's input impedence is very high, so the iPod's amplifier doesnt have to work hard at all to send the audio signal to the amp, which means far lower distortion. Second, the A1 amplifier's very low output impedence means that headphones will get the full current required to drive them properly. Our amp also has a playthrough feature so that it plays at normal volume when connected to the amp, with the power off, then engages the amp when you power it on, so you can very easily hear the difference with and without the amp. Furthermore, the iPod rolls off its low frequency response at 50 Hz when connected to 32 ohm headphones. The A1's high input impedence moves the low frequency rolloff to below 20 Hz, so you get much fuller bass response."

further:

"In response to your question about the difference between using the line out port as opposed to the headphone port, there are a couple reasons why we are using the headphone port instead of the line out. First, is simplicity. By using the headphone port, we retain the use of the volume control on the iPod. The iPod volume control doesnt work through the line-out port, so a volume control would have to be part of the amp. Second, the low frequency roll off through the line-out port is below 20 Hz, which is one of the reasons it sounds better than the headphone port. Our amplifier specifically addresses this issue and effectively allows the headphone port to operate full range , from below 20 Hz to over 20 kHz. We have tested our circuit both through the line-out (with an added volume control), and through the headphone port, and can not hear a difference. Our design philosophy is to keep things as simpl as possible, hence the name Simpl Acoustics. Thanks for the great question."

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
this is the initial comment by the developer:

"Greetings,

My name is Jonathon Kennemer and I am the designer of the Simpl A1 Headphone Amp. To answer your question about the benefit of a headphone amp requires a somewhat technical explanation. Basically, the A1 amplifier's input impedence is very high, so the iPod's amplifier doesnt have to work hard at all to send the audio signal to the amp, which means far lower distortion. Second, the A1 amplifier's very low output impedence means that headphones will get the full current required to drive them properly. Our amp also has a playthrough feature so that it plays at normal volume when connected to the amp, with the power off, then engages the amp when you power it on, so you can very easily hear the difference with and without the amp. Furthermore, the iPod rolls off its low frequency response at 50 Hz when connected to 32 ohm headphones. The A1's high input impedence moves the low frequency rolloff to below 20 Hz, so you get much fuller bass response."

further:

"In response to your question about the difference between using the line out port as opposed to the headphone port, there are a couple reasons why we are using the headphone port instead of the line out. First, is simplicity. By using the headphone port, we retain the use of the volume control on the iPod. The iPod volume control doesnt work through the line-out port, so a volume control would have to be part of the amp. Second, the low frequency roll off through the line-out port is below 20 Hz, which is one of the reasons it sounds better than the headphone port. Our amplifier specifically addresses this issue and effectively allows the headphone port to operate full range , from below 20 Hz to over 20 kHz. We have tested our circuit both through the line-out (with an added volume control), and through the headphone port, and can not hear a difference. Our design philosophy is to keep things as simpl as possible, hence the name Simpl Acoustics. Thanks for the great question."

Are you kidding me? If the iPod's headphone out has a bass rolloff below 50 hz (how does headphone impedance affect that anyway??), how the heck is the amp going to fix that? Oh dear, we simply couldn't use the Line Out! A roll off at 20 hz? That's just terrible!

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 19
It seems that they made a number of "simpl" business decisions in the design of this mass market product, but I think that their claims of audiophile intentions are a bit overblown.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
It seems that they made a number of "simpl" business decisions in the design of this mass market product, but I think that their claims of audiophile intentions are a bit overblown.

and therefore it won't be so appealing for either party. For headfiers there're better alternatives out there and for ordinary users of ipod ,since when did they complain about the quality of the headphone out?

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 19
those who would be interested in something like this b/c the ipod's headphone out is insufficient are all perusing this site and know about sik dins and pocketdocks and other portables. those who like the ipod as it is (probably 99% of all ipod owners) still wear the apple earbuds and wouldn't be interested in this. and though this argument sounds pretty good to me, why do i have the strange feeling that this thing is going to sell pretty well? if it does, all you amp builders better start promoting your stuff to the ipod crowd.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Are you kidding me? If the iPod's headphone out has a bass rolloff below 50 hz (how does headphone impedance affect that anyway??), how the heck is the amp going to fix that? Oh dear, we simply couldn't use the Line Out! A roll off at 20 hz? That's just terrible!

It seems to be based on measurements similar to these.

As to how true and accurate these measurements are, and how truely effective (in a perceivable sense), that the headphone out quality is improved with the use of a high impedeance load... that i would have to hear for myself to 'see'.

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 19
Many people are making living from iPod. I wonder if this will ever get popular. I made a trip to Best Buy last week, and I've seen countless number of iPod accessories.

Dec 4, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Are you kidding me? If the iPod's headphone out has a bass rolloff below 50 hz (how does headphone impedance affect that anyway??), how the heck is the amp going to fix that?

Simple. The ipod's output capacitors together with the connected load form a highpass filter. The corner frequency is 1/(2*PI*C*Rload), so it depends both on the value C of the output capacitors and Rload, i.e. the headphone impedance (or the input impedance of an amp you connect to the headphone out). You can see that the lower Rload, the higher the corner frequency.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
edit - selling for $139? Um, get a Porta Corda MKII for $120 instead in the head-fi group buy.

yup.. tested & proven! not to mention its a killer deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back