New Portable Amp - Simpl
Dec 4, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterR
Simple. The ipod's output capacitors together with the connected load form a highpass filter. The corner frequency is 1/(2*PI*C*Rload), so it depends both on the value C of the output capacitors and Rload, i.e. the headphone impedance (or the input impedance of an amp you connect to the headphone out). You can see that the lower Rload, the higher the corner frequency.

So how is the amp going to fix that? Does it have an impedance adapter in it or something?

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
So how is the amp going to fix that? Does it have an impedance adapter in it or something?

The amp is a much easier load for the ipod than a heaphone. Low impedance headphones intended for portable use may have an impedance as low as 16 Ohms (to extort more power from low voltage portable sources). If you use an amp the ipod won't see the 16 Ohms headphone impedance but the, say, 50 kOhms input impedance of the amp (value picked out of thin air - I don't know the particular amp in question). The rolloff will still happen, but now at a frequency more than 3000 times lower.

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Are you kidding me? If the iPod's headphone out has a bass rolloff below 50 hz (how does headphone impedance affect that anyway??), how the heck is the amp going to fix that? Oh dear, we simply couldn't use the Line Out! A roll off at 20 hz? That's just terrible!

I don't think the headphone output rolloff is true with the 4G iPod's... but it doesn't seem that anyone's conducted any testing with them. I know for sure that the bass is better on the 4G than the 3G (amongst other things).

Dec 11, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 19
So you guys think that this amp is garbage? I'm in the market for an amp to use with my iPod, and I'd like something that sounds good and looks decent, too - I use E5c's (16 ohm) with my iPod and it sounds to me like an amp might be exactly what I'm looking for (bass-wise) ...

So as far as sound+looks go, what would you recommend? Is this amp going to be any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back