New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #2,596 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually play from the D1's headphone jack, and it sounds surprisingly good for coming through a tape deck. Maybe some day I'll get a different head unit with a line-in port.
wink.gif

You mean the line out jack, not the headphone jack.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #2,597 of 2,626
Nope. I mean the headphone out jack. When playing through the tape deck, the D1's line out sounds like crap. Basically, the amp stage on the D1 is acting like a preamp, which seems to be necessary for playing through a tape deck in the car.

Now, if I were to finally get ahold of a head unit with a dedicated aux-in, I'd probably be using the D1's line out. Unless it too is designed to work better from a portable device's headphone out.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #2,598 of 2,626
Hopefully someone can give me a good guess as to what happened to my D1. A sleeve come out of one of the buffer sockets while removing the opamp. I very carefully placed the sleeve back down in the socket and it looked normal. I put the new opamps in with no problem. When I turned the unit on everything sounded fine. I listened for an hour or so on and off. Then I decided plug in the D1 and let it run all day to burn-in the new chips. When I came back 8 hours later, there was a slight acidic smell and the right channel had no sound. I tried swapping opamps back, but still no right channel. This happens whether the source was optical or line in. I am positive I put the opamps in correctly.

Any guess as to how bad this is? Could the sleeve that came loose be the problem? Do I need to send it back to iBasso? Anyone know what they charge for repairs?

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #2,599 of 2,626
Ooof! That sucks, man!

I know that all I had to pay for getting mine repaired was to send it back to them (which was about $35 in shipping, yikes), but I'd only had mine for two days, and hadn't tried to roll any opamps.

I find it interesting, though, that you did the same thing I did when mine died. Mine was working fine the first day, and I decided to burn it in overnight, so I plugged it in to the AC adapter, turned it on, and with music playing from my H129, I let it play overnight. It was working when I shut it off and unplugged it, and no longer worked when I turned it on in my car 5 minutes later.

I wonder if it's simply not safe to play music while it's plugged into the AC adapter. I know I've been VERY careful with it since getting it back. I have the AC adapter plugged into a power strip which remains turned off most of the time. I plug the AC adapter into the D1 with the power off, and only THEN turn on the power strip. And I turn off the power strip before unplugging the D1 after it's done charging. I just really don't want to pay to ship it back again.

As I recall, all their hardware has a 1 year warantee. Doesn't sound like you've done anything out of the ordinary with it. Definitely drop them an email. They were quite helpful with me.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #2,602 of 2,626
iBasso has replied that if I send my D1 back they will try to fix it. They think the problem might have been caused by the sleeve that came out of the socket, or some other issue with the board, but not from running it all day plugged in.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #2,603 of 2,626
I've been using the D1 for a few months now, changing allot of opamps, and currently using the one iBasso is now delivering the new D1 with.
I'm using it with my old HD595, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the bass, there's non, and on all the opamp I've tried. comparing it straight out of the iRiver H120 the dap has noticeably more bass. Pluging my HP to my Sansui B1000 power amp with the D1 as a DAC changes the bass part completely, it is now significantly better. Could it be that there's something wrong with it ?

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #2,604 of 2,626
Hmmm...

Could be a bad opamp, or bad connection to the socket, or poor synergy with your HD595.

You could try the AD797 on a 2:1 adapter made by HiFlight, and I can't fault the bass with that setup. The 797 works well with LMH6643 or AD8397 as buffers, and with just about any good one in the DAC (8656, 6234, 6241).

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #2,605 of 2,626
It more and more feels like the synergy with my 595, though I can't explain why this happens. The sounstage is great, the mids and high are perfect, just the bass...
I had another D1 before that, that had a problem and needed to be replaced, and had the same bass issue, so I don't think this one is faulty or something.
Anyone tried D1 + 595 (low impedance)?
Where I can buy those AD797 ?

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #2,606 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Favorites for main amp were the AD743 closely followed by the AD797 (the OPA2111 was not as good).
My favorites for buffers were the LMH6643 followed closely by the AD8397.
My Favorites for the DAC were the LT6234 followed closely by the LTC6241.

Hi, I hope you don't mind me jumping in..

I would like to hear your favourite combo. I have the following Manufacturer's part no.s (from Digikey).

. AD743JRZ-16
. LMH6643MA/NOPB
. LT6234CS8

All SOIC. I hope these are the right ones.

These have to be soldered to Browndog SO8 to 8-pin DIP adaptors?

Re quanities, 2 x AD743, 2 x LMH6643, 1 x LT6234. Two AD743 because they are single channel? What type of adaptor do I need for the 2 x AD743?

Is there any trick to soldering these to the adaptors, any caution other than the obvious (overheating, solder bridges)?

What others chips are nice to have, eg are the AD797 and/or AD8397 and/or LTC6241 different enough from those above to warrant getting them as well, or some other suggestion perhaps?

Lastly can you recommend a plug and play option?

Kind regards, and thanks in anticipation..

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #2,607 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by green_avanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, I hope you don't mind me jumping in..

I would like to hear your favourite combo. I have the following Manufacturer's part no.s (from Digikey).

. AD743JRZ-16
. LMH6643MA/NOPB
. LT6234CS8

All SOIC. I hope these are the right ones.

These have to be soldered to Browndog SO8 to 8-pin DIP adaptors?

Re quanities, 2 x AD743, 2 x LMH6643, 1 x LT6234. Two AD743 because they are single channel? What type of adaptor do I need for the 2 x AD743?

Is there any trick to soldering these to the adaptors, any caution other than the obvious (overheating, solder bridges)?

What others chips are nice to have, eg are the AD797 and/or AD8397 and/or LTC6241 different enough from those above to warrant getting them as well, or some other suggestion perhaps?

Lastly can you recommend a plug and play option?

Kind regards, and thanks in anticipation..

I am on my cell phone so I'll keep this short. You have some of the best opamps I've heard and the correct quantities. The second list you mentioned is also one of my favorites - it is hard for me to pick which is better, because both are so good. I would get all of them
wink.gif

You can PM highflight about making a 2:1 for the 743 if you have the DIP versions. Or, he can do all the soldering of SOIC onto single or dual DIP adapters.

For plug and play, I'm not sure what can be found as DIP that works in the D1. If I recall the OPA2111, AD746 and LT1364 are available DIP and work okay. The 746 is not bad in the DAC. The LM6172 is available in DIP but I never tried it. I think the LMH6643 and 6655 are available in DIP for buffers.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2,609 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by green_avanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks HeadphoneAddict. Webbie64 also PM'd me to assist,
Much appreciated..

Cool, also the LM4562 and LME49720 are available in DIP form for buffers, but that was "old school" before we discovered the LMH6643 and 6655. The LM4562 might be good in the main amp, not sure. billinkansas knows I'll buy back the D1 if he ever gets tired of it, but till then I can't test them.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #2,610 of 2,626
I find the 4562 interesting at first but it is, in my opinion, artificial sounding with a HiFi sound rather than more natural musical presentation. The 49720 is a little better than the 4562 but can be bettered by the above opamps for musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back