New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Nov 4, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2,011 of 2,626
The HiQ are the best and last BG's that were designed. If they are available that is what I would use otherwise the N is fine and a very fine cap.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #2,012 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HiQ are the best and last BG's that were designed. If they are available that is what I would use otherwise the N is fine and a very fine cap.

Ok thanks, i'll post my impressions once I get them installed.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #2,013 of 2,626
Anyone know when they will be available again? I'm looking for a good DAC/amp and I read that these are good.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #2,014 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know when they will be available again? I'm looking for a good DAC/amp and I read that these are good.

Around mid-November is what I heard.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #2,015 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around mid-November is what I heard.

Alright! I suddenly have a birthday present for myself.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #2,016 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by oofie810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are available immediately in my sig line
biggrin.gif

This is a very good sounding amp especially when using the DAC section and extremely flexible. I only used it with the stock opamps as I had to purchase one to remind myself that I do not like op amp rolling. It really confuses me that the Pico and Predator are USB only- I'd think most would prefer the option of a optical input in a DAC. I guess they must know more than I do, but I am sure the flexibility of the D1 appeals to a lot of people.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #2,018 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by PPkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks... i think my local shop has 0.47uf nx ... will 4.7 be better or any of them will do since multiple of 10 ?

I think the general rule for bypassing caps is 1/100 of higher value... somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #2,019 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: does anybody know the difference between NSOIC and SOIC? I'm trying to get the AD825 from Newark.com, but the SOIC version is no longer available:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/bro...Ntt=AD825&Ntx=

Ranma13 you should be fine with the NSOIC package of the AD825 listed.
I ordered 4 of those exact same ones from Newark Electronics and those are the ones I am using mounted to Brown Dog adapters.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/Semiconduc...sp?sku=59K6528

The Brown Dog dual to single adapter you'll need is here:
http://cimarrontechnology.com/index....PROD&ProdID=24

Unfortunately, I just saw on their website that they will be closed from Nov. 5, 2007 until Nov. 9, 2007 it says. So if you have to order them... it'll be another week.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #2,022 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by willisv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the general rule for bypassing caps is 1/100 of higher value... somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

In all my years of electronics experience and designing highend speaker systems and crossover networks and tweaking tube and solid state amplifiers there are general rules such as you mention that some designers philosophies are used as their trick or secret personal formula(s), but no hard rule. They call it a "black art" if I recall the term correctly where you apply the general rule as a starting point and then tweak it from there to get the sound the way you like it. The basic idea as jamato8 has already mentioned is to lower the ESR (equivalent series resistance) inherent in the larger valued capacitors. The ideal capcitor would have no resistance at all but only pure capacitive reactance value. In reality, no capacitor made is perfect and has some small measured resistance value in series with the signal path. This is what is called the ESR. You want to minimize this resistance as it affects the overall sound characteristics and robs you of some signal. By paralleling a smaller capacitor (which has a much lower ESR value) you are essentially lowering the total ESR of the larger capacitor by shunting around it. Of course the slight added .47uf or 4.7uf capacitive reactance you are also adding will increase the overall total capacitive reactance by adding to the larger capcitor value and allow a wee bit more highs to pass as well as the rest of the frequencies. So to simplify all this techno jargon for those that are lost with it, you can essentially add any high quality low value capacitor in parallel to the larger one and see how it sounds. It can be a .1uf or a 1uf too, not just 4.7uf or .47uf. Every circuit situation is different and a hard rule such as 1/100th may not apply. Just my 2 cents. I did not really want to jump in with all the technical detail stuff, but I tried to explain it best I could from my personal experiences. The "black art" of designing and tweaking electronics circuits is to use the value that sounds best for your particular circuit situtation (which varies from one unit to another). .47uf might sound best in my D1 for example, but not in some other D1 where a .1uf or a 2.5uf might sound best, etc. But as a starting point yeah, go ahead and use 1/100th and go from there.

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #2,023 of 2,626
Quote:

Did you lose a brass sleeve from one of the opamp sockets?

Hi, i'm not sure which part you're talking about. But i mount my AD8656 to the old stock ibasso adapter which had AD823. I wicked the old solder out from the AD823 adapter took the AD823 out and solder the new AD8656 to that adapter.

I also try the stock DAC AD8616 back in using the power supply plugged into the amp and it works fine.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #2,024 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In all my years of electronics experience and designing highend speaker systems and crossover networks and tweaking tube and solid state amplifiers there are general rules such as you mention that some designers philosophies are used as their trick or secret personal formula(s), but no hard rule. They call it a "black art" if I recall the term correctly where you apply the general rule as a starting point and then tweak it from there to get the sound the way you like it. The basic idea as jamato8 has already mentioned is to lower the ESR (equivalent series resistance) inherent in the larger valued capacitors. The ideal capcitor would have no resistance at all but only pure capacitive reactance value. In reality, no capacitor made is perfect and has some small measured resistance value in series with the signal path. This is what is called the ESR. You want to minimize this resistance as it affects the overall sound characteristics and robs you of some signal. By paralleling a smaller capacitor (which has a much lower ESR value) you are essentially lowering the total ESR of the larger capacitor by shunting around it. Of course the slight added .47uf or 4.7uf capacitive reactance you are also adding will increase the overall total capacitive reactance by adding to the larger capcitor value and allow a wee bit more highs to pass as well as the rest of the frequencies. So to simplify all this techno jargon for those that are lost with it, you can essentially add any high quality low value capacitor in parallel to the larger one and see how it sounds. It can be a .1uf or a 1uf too, not just 4.7uf or .47uf. Every circuit situation is different and a hard rule such as 1/100th may not apply. Just my 2 cents. I did not really want to jump in with all the technical detail stuff, but I tried to explain it best I could from my personal experiences. The "black art" of designing and tweaking electronics circuits is to use the value that sounds best for your particular circuit situtation (which varies from one unit to another). .47uf might sound best in my D1 for example, but not in some other D1 where a .1uf or a 2.5uf might sound best, etc. But as a starting point yeah, go ahead and use 1/100th and go from there.

wow.. informative post you have there... will u recommend 4.7uf or .47uf as a start? :p

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #2,025 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just start using AD8656 in the DAC and when i use the power supply plugged into the amp the music is low in volume and sound is distorted. Using battery power the sound is fine. Anyone experience this problem?

I had the exact opposite problem, where the AD8656 would crackle on battery power but not on AC power. I think it's a burn-in issue, use the D1 for a while with the stock op amps, then switch in the new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back