New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Sep 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #1,413 of 2,626
I am really interested in this DAC/amp combo unit and think it sure offers alot for its price range. It seems to be garnering much praise. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare it with the Benchmark DAC-1 or the Grace M902 DAC/amps and can comment on it?
I am torn between going cheap for this iBasso D1 or going all out for the likes of a Benchmark DAC-1 or Grace M902.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #1,414 of 2,626
I have compared it to my Monica II dac, which has been compared to dacs costing a few thousand and the Monica II was preferred. For me I have a slight preference for Monica but after changing out the opamp and some caps I find the D1 dac to be excellent and a different presentation that is no less engaging. While this does not answer your question I am confident, especially at the price, the D1 dac is a top performer and well worth the small investment both in the D1 and a few opamp changes.

I do think that if you put both the D1 and the Monica II dac the D1 would measure better.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #1,415 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have compared it to my Monica II dac, which has been compared to dacs costing a few thousand and the Monica II was preferred. For me I have a slight preference for Monica but after changing out the opamp and some caps I find the D1 dac to be excellent and a different presentation that is no less engaging. While this does not answer your question I am confident, especially at the price, the D1 dac is a top performer and well worth the small investment both in the D1 and a few opamp changes.

I do think that if you put both the D1 and the Monica II dac the D1 would measure better.

Hmmm, that's interesting indeed. I think that for the price of the D1, one cannot go wrong. I was originally going to spend more for a DAC/amp combo unit and was considering the Grace M902... but then I got worried about when the time comes and they start offering DACs that decode even more bit streams and speeds that the current generation of DACS cannot decode. I would feel regret for spending so much for a 24/192 DAC and then they come out with the next step beyond to decode more formats. I am willing to spend the $229 for the D1 DAC/amp though and when it comes time that they start releasing new generation DAC's I won't feel as bad.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #1,416 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, that's interesting indeed. I think that for the price of the D1, one cannot go wrong. I was originally going to spend more for a DAC/amp combo unit and was considering the Grace M902... but then I got worried about when the time comes and they start offering DACs that decode even more bit streams and speeds that the current generation of DACS cannot decode. I would feel regret for spending so much for a 24/192 DAC and then they come out with the next step beyond to decode more formats. I am willing to spend the $229 for the D1 DAC/amp though and when it comes time that they start releasing new generation DAC's I won't feel as bad.
rs1smile.gif

Something to consider is you don't need to oversample to get great quality. The monica being talked about is actually a killer non-oversampling dac. Same goes for the Alien DAC floating around here. Unless most of your collection is in SACDs or DVDA you won't really be behind the times, even DVDA only goes up to 24/196khz--which the D1 is still able to handle.

And I agree, the D1 looks great for the price. The opamp rolling won me over.

If someone could clarify, what are the 4 opamps used for exactly? Do both the dac and amplifier have an opamp for amplification, and then another one each as a buffer?

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #1,417 of 2,626
Is the battery easy to take out? I would like to, as I probably will have it connected to my laptop.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #1,418 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the battery easy to take out? I would like to, as I probably will have it connected to my laptop.

No, and besides the laptop will not charge the unit. When using the supplied converter the battery will be out of the circuit once charged.

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #1,420 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare it with the Benchmark DAC-1 or the Grace M902 DAC/amps and can comment on it?
I am torn between going cheap for this iBasso D1 or going all out for the likes of a Benchmark DAC-1 or Grace M902.

I have a Lavry DA-10 that I use sometimes with headphones. I bought the D1 because I wanted something that I could use at my office and wanted USB support. I think that the stock D1 is not quite as refined as the Lavry, but it is a very good piece considering that it is 1/4 the cost. The Lavry is a very revealing transparent unit - some people may find it to be too much so for their taste. Analytical is the criticism you sometimes see.

The D1 is good enough so that I bought a second unit to use for headphone listening at home instead of the Lavry which is in an inconvenient location in my home for headphone use. As soon as it arrives I will also be using it to try out various mods that have been discussed here. It is quite possible that with these mods I may be able to achieve a sound I prefer to the Lavry.

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #1,421 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Lavry DA-10 that I use sometimes with headphones. I bought the D1 because I wanted something that I could use at my office and wanted USB support. I think that the stock D1 is not quite as refined as the Lavry, but it is a very good piece considering that it is 1/4 the cost. The Lavry is a very revealing transparent unit - some people may find it to be too much so for their taste.

Good enough so that I bought a second unit to use for headphone listening instead of the Lavry which is in an inconvenient location for frequent use for me.

You should seriously consider getting the 4 op-amps to upgrade the D1. It will surprise you.
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #1,424 of 2,626
Has anyone tried staking buffers?

What good dose that do?

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #1,425 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should seriously consider getting the 4 op-amps to upgrade the D1. It will surprise you.
icon10.gif

I know, I know. I have the parts. I am waiting for my 2nd D1 to arrive at which time I'll swap it in for the one at work and start experimenting. I am going to have a lot of fun with this.

I modded Dynaco kits before most of you guys were born. The D1 is bringing back a lot of great memories. Those Dynaco designs are classics. The D1 is certainly heading in that direction.

What we didn't have back then were forums like this to share our experiences and knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back