New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #766 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My D1 arrived and is burning in. I don't plan to evaluate it until it has 200 hours on it.

how long it take from ur payment date to ur received date?

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #767 of 2,626
Maybe a week? I wasn't paying attention...

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #768 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuheng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how long it take from ur payment date to ur received date?

I paid for mine Saturday, and it is arriving today.
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #769 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehlarson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I paid for mine Saturday, and it is arriving today.
icon10.gif

wah, so fast, i have delayed my unit, i order for 10 units and they said they need 2 to 3 weeks time, anywhere i have to wait again.

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #770 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a week? I wasn't paying attention...

Are you going to reivew just the amp section or will you do the DAC too?

Maybe a quick comparo of the D1 amp/DAC vs the imod plus D1 amp?

I think there are a lot of people out there wondering if the D1 dac stands up to the ipod's, including myself.

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #771 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think there are a lot of people out there wondering if the D1 dac stands up to the ipod's, including myself.

x2 or the DAC compared to the FubarII that would be very nice.
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #772 of 2,626
I hit 60 hours last night and confirmed what Jamato8 said before

Quote:

At this point, with around 56 hours, the sound has smoothed out and the highs are getting better. The sound is becoming more organic and natural. The bass is very tight and a word I like to use when the quality of bass is good, it is tuneful, meaning the bass is not a blob of low frequency but distinct within its range of individual notes.

This morning the highs sound better to me at 70 hours than what Jamato described at 100 hours, but I may not be as picky or as adept at noticing issues.

The cable I am using to connect has a "Y" with a headphone jack in the middle, so I am able to unplug the headphones and connect quickly without the amp and the D1 sounds pretty close to my source other than more gain and punchier bass. My source needs an upgrade from this Nano headphone out, but that is on the way (H120 and EJ2000 optical out).

So, Skylab, I don't think you have to wait till 200 hours to listen.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #773 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still waiting for my D1 to arrive but meanwhile I am trying to follow the opamp rolling discussion but that's getting harder.
So please let me try to clarify this to myself:

1. To change the stock AD823 there is no soldering required. You just pull it out and put in an AD8066 (as jamato did) or an OPA2111 (as Ron did), right?

2. If you like either of them you can just leave in the NE5532 buffers, right?

3. But if you want to change the buffers (preferably?) you pull out the two NE5532s and put in two AD8397s - they work with the AD8066 as well as with the OPA2111 and there is no soldering necessary, yes?

Hope someone can clarify this because I don't know anything about electronics - I just want to get the best D1 sound ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnyec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD8066 and AD8397 are not available in DIP8, only in SOIC8 so they require soldering, but you can get away with the OPA2111 without soldering if you can find one somewhere.

I'm a little confused.

HiFlight, contrary to what winnyec wrote, are you sure that even AD8066 and AD8397 require no soldering?

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #774 of 2,626
They do not require soldering to the main board but they do need to be soldered to an adapter that allows them to go into a socket for the dip8 as they are a soic8 (smd surface mount device).

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #776 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do not require soldering to the main board but they do need to be soldered to an adapter that allows them to go into a socket for the dip8 as they are a soic8 (smd surface mount device).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You solder the 8066 to the adapter. Then you install it in the sockets of the D1.

So no soldering to the D1 board. Hope that helps.

Thank you. I think I am slowly understanding how this works ...

I have never used a soldering iron but maybe I should try it in this case. When I look at the third picture on page one of this thread it looks easy:
Just unsolder the AD823 and then solder a 8066 to the adapter.
But what if I mess up the adapter? Are they some kind of usual replacement parts or would I need to order one from iBasso?

And what about the two NE5532? As they are DIP8 one can just pull them out and replace them with another DIP8 IC, right? But what if I want to try the AD8397? Then I would have to use the soldering iron on the board ... kinda scares me.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #777 of 2,626
You need experience to solder this correctly. You need a low wattage (25-30) small tipped soldering iron and the right technique and you need adapters that do not have something already soldered on them. While opamps that are already soldered in place can be taken off this requires experience or you will mess up the board. Practice is needed first with soldering and using the correct method. We all start somewhere but reading about soldering and then practicing is highly recommended. Brown Dog adapters are one of the adapters you can use and solder the new opamp to.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #778 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure, I can try that. My main plan was to compare it as a DAC/AMP combo versus the Meier Move, but I will compare the DAC, driven by a CD player, to the iMod using lossless files driving the amp section of the D1, sure.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #779 of 2,626
Noone has reviewed the DAC compared to iRiver IHPxxx/CDP DAC yet. Can someone do this please. It's the DAC that's interisting since it's the first affordable portable DAC/amp with optical in.

Please!

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #780 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noone has reviewed the DAC compared to iRiver IHPxxx/CDP DAC yet. Can someone do this please. It's the DAC that's interisting since it's the first affordable portable DAC/amp with optical in.

Please!

Send a PM to HiFlight, he has both.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back