New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #708 of 2,626
Yes, just use the AUX out and you are using just the dac. Or you can use the AUX as input and use only the amp section. Your choice as it automatically senses if there is an input or output. :^)

I am listening this AM and I am hearing changes. The sound is More smooth and dimensional. I know this solder that is being used (junk but what is available now) takes longer to form. I remember some silver IC's that would take large currents and a long time to form but up to that point they sounded harsh and bright. I discovered on my own to use dead soft high purity silver back in the early 90's and solved the problem but this new solder, yeck. I am glad I have a good suppy of Cardas and Ultra Clear.

I know Xin is having problems with the new junk as even measurements are off with just the change in solder.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #711 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am listening this AM and I am hearing changes. The sound is More smooth and dimensional. I know this solder that is being used (junk but what is available now) takes longer to form.

How many hours do you have on your amp now?

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #712 of 2,626
I don't know, I will have to figure it up but I would guess approaching 300 or so. Remember i am using the 8066 and two of the 8397's.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #713 of 2,626
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #714 of 2,626
Quote:

I don't know, I will have to figure it up but I would guess approaching 300 or so. Remember i am using the 8066 and two of the 8397's.

Right, I just want to figure out when I'll get the true stock flavor out of it if it is still changing. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: I just remembered I have a pair of op627 browndogs not used anymore from my CDP. Do you know if one would be pin-compatible? Where would I go to find out this type of information? I realize the buffers need changing still.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #715 of 2,626
No, the 627 is a single opamp and also draws a lot of current, don't try to use it.

I don't know what happened to the D1 over night but it must be what Ron is hearing. I still don't know where it will end up but the direction right now is very good.

I have no idea where the bass has come from. It is better than what I thought was already very good. It doens't bleed into the other frequencies but stays where it should and has notes, not just bass. I hope everyone gets to hear this. The soundstage has expanded, way out as in distance between instruments and so forth, it is just more dimensional. The upper range has improved also. I can feel tuneful bass into my shoulders. This is at the 10 oclock position with the RP-21's, which I wasn't enjoying as much with the D1. They sound very open for a closed headphone.

Again the caveat: I have no idea of the final sound.

I have the Ultrasone 750's coming tomorrow. They should add a nice new dimension to my listening.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #716 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by nv88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my D1 last night. I get a big POP when the power is turned on, even if volume is all the way down.

Has your charge light turned green yet? Mine was plugged in, turned on all night and I've still got the orange-red blinking... The blue light in front seems to randomly turn on and off too.

Just got mine (two days to Sweden!) and am also having problems with the front blue led. It seems to go on and off at random. However, my charge light turned green almost straight away which made me a bit suspicious. Anyway, I've emailed ibasso to try and find the problem. I hope I don't have to send it back - I love it!

Jonesy

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #717 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine (two days to Sweden!) and am also having problems with the front blue led. It seems to go on and off at random. However, my charge light turned green almost straight away which made me a bit suspicious. Anyway, I've emailed ibasso to try and find the problem. I hope I don't have to send it back - I love it!

Jonesy

It could have come with a charge, mine did. I hope it isn't a problem with power switch. Does it play when the light goes out or does the sound stop?

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #718 of 2,626
Quote:

No, the 627 is a single opamp and also draws a lot of current, don't try to use it.

I don't know what happened to the D1 over night but it must be what Ron is hearing. I still don't know where it will end up but the direction right now is very good.

I have no idea where the bass has come from. It is better than what I thought was already very good. It doens't bleed into the other frequencies but stays where it should and has notes, not just bass. I hope everyone gets to hear this. The soundstage has expanded, way out as in distance between instruments and so forth, it is just more dimensional. The upper range has improved also. I can feel tuneful bass into my shoulders. This is at the 10 oclock position with the RP-21's, which I wasn't enjoying as much with the D1. They sound very open for a closed headphone.

Again the caveat: I have no idea of the final sound.

I have the Ultrasone 750's coming tomorrow. They should add a nice new dimension to my listening.

Glad I asked about the 627. The current would have hurt. The browndog actually has two chips soldered on; does that mean they are stacking them or that they have them wired for two channel?

If the bass is clearing up too that would be a bonus. Without searching the thread, are you running stock or rolling opamps too? How many hours are you up to on the D1?

Once you get your proline 750s we'll have a common frame of reference at least. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #719 of 2,626
Thanks for responding so soon - I'm not a regular poster...

The unit carries on playing fine. the blue led stays on for a few minutes then goes off then back on for a while. I am burning in at the moment - there's no change in configuration that coincides with the blue led on/off.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #720 of 2,626
Quote:

It could have come with a charge, mine did. I hope it isn't a problem with power switch. Does it play when the light goes out or does the sound stop?

Oops, sorry - forgot to reference my post - slapped wrists.....

I would like to add that it's great to be described as a "junior member" though, at my age!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back